SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washington state senator slammed for saying nurses ‘play cards’ for ‘considerable amount of the day’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington state senator slammed for saying nurses ‘play cards’ for ‘considerable amount of the day’ Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
When my wife was in the hospital (back surgery) I never saw nurses playing cards. They were watching YouTube and I had to interrupt them to deliver meds to my wife. Mad

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
When my wife was in the hospital (back surgery) I never saw nurses playing cards. They were watching YouTube and I had to interrupt them to deliver meds to my wife. Mad

Same here. When my dad was in the hospital, we had to constantly call them in to give him his meds. Day and night. That’s why we had family there 24/7.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever might be going on, keep the government out of it! NO more laws. Customers, the institution should demand a safe work environment, however that works for the particular situation. Every hospital is different.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The senator has now tried a new excuse.

"I had been on a 12-hour shift that day when I made that comment and I was tired and exhausted and, in retrospect, I wish I would've used a little bit better analogy,” she said.

That “12 hour shift” no doubt included regular bathroom breaks and a lunch. (One comment reported it was 3 hours.)

She wants to exempt hospitals with 25 beds or less. The idea is that, by allowing a nurse to have lunch and bathroom breaks the hospital will have to close. this makes things worse:
“That’s why, ultimately, there is zero logic behind an amendment to the rest breaks bill that would cover nurses and patients in some hospitals, while leaving others without any protections. There’s a reason it’s so hard to recruit nurses to rural facilities – exempting them from laws requiring uninterrupted breaks and subjecting them to mandatory overtime would just make it worse.”

Put yourself in their place. Would you willing work in a place that didn’t have to abide by the laws that others had to follow? Where you were told you had to constantly work overtime? The underlying mentality is that nurses “should be” satisfied just to work in the profession. A profession where people claim they play cards and watch Utube.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post