SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help on battery advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on battery advice Login/Join 
Picture of lee40215
posted
Probably the wrong area to ask this question but I need to buy a couple 18650 rechargeable batteries for my flashlights. Looked on eBay and I didn’t recognize any of the brands on there. Anyone here recommend a good brand and maybe where to find them.
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Maybe put this in the Lounge? You'll probably get more help, there.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What flashlights?

Try www.allbattery.com or www.batteryjunction.com

plenty of 18650 batteries to choose from. button top or flat top, different mah ratings.

Does your flashlight require protected cells? Probably a worthwhile purchase. It only costs a little more.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Fenix brand but looking at a couple streamlights that use the same battery

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used trustfire 3000mAh for several years in a fenix light, no complaints have worked great.

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just make sure you get protected cells (they have a circuit added to protect against overheating and catching on fire).

Pila makes a nice charger.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
illumn.com has a good reputation.

Get Japanese or Korean cells - Sanyo, Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic. Avoid Chinese made batteries. Batteries with "fire" in the name are a warning of the batteries' eventual fate.

Some rebranders use good batteries. I'd trust Fenix, but they are expensive. Olight are fine. Others are too, but check and see whose battery is actually in there.

Don't cheap out on lithium batteries. The bad ones can be dangerous. They can overheat, discharge gas and explode. Or catch fire. Or both. Spend an extra few bucks.

Most devices have enough space that you can use a protected cell (there is a tiny overload circuit attached to the battery), but some devices cannot and rely on a protection circuit in the device. Usually, if an unprotected cell is needed, they will tell you. Most devices will have a protection circuit internally, so a protected cell is belt and suspenders.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've a pair of Tenergy 18650s I've been using in one of my lights for a couple years.

Hard to say how many times they'll cycle. They last so long for me I only swap 'em about every two years Razz

I just stocked-up on three sets of four AW 16340s (CR123-sized IMR chemistry) for my wireless IP cameras. AW has a really good reputation. Might be hard to find, right now, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Nitecore hits the price and performance sweet spot for me. And they make a variety of smart chargers.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ NiteCore here... they have some very nice offerings (flashlights, batteries and chargers).

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have 4 AWs and 2 Fenix. All have been great. I've been using some of the AWs for 6 or 7 years and they still hold a good charge.

I also have a Pila charger.

They sure have gone up in price over the last few years.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
Panasonic NCR18650PF High Drain Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery - 2900mAh or
Sony 18650 VTC5 High-drain - 12C 30A Li-Ion Battery - 2600mAh

Both are very good. Can be had in different capacities.
For a flashlight, I recommend getting protected cells (so you don't completely drain them).

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use 2600 mAh Tenergy ones. Cheap and effective. I use the crap out of them, some fail, some last years, under less harsh conditions I'd expect them to last 4-5 years, I usually get 2-3 years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post