SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I talked to my Viking buddy. He said they didn't go that far west and they were into bronze at the time.

The so-called Viking culture thrived between 700 and 1200 AD, and their weapons technology was based on iron and steel, not bronze. Bronze began to be used for weapons in the Middle Easts some 2500 years BEFORE the Viking era.

No doubt it was used for some decorative items, but not arrowheads.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yes copper mining and smelting technology is very old in Northern Michigan. In fact some research seems to indicate that Mediterranean shipwrecks have copper ingots aboard that can be linked to N Michigan thru molecular analysis and spectrography. When you go up there you can see the entrances to many old mines and remains of ancient smelting sites. There are examples of copper knives that have been found.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This time frame is easily into early Linear A times. For those that don't know Linear A is pre classical Greek, Linear B is the oldest known Greek/minoan/mycenean lanuage. Starting 1450-1100 BCE. Linear A predates that.

That being said, Ther has been match to Great Lakes Copper in early greek finds. There is also speculation that some of the tin that started the bronze age came from the same general area of great lakes copper.

The Phoenicians were fantastic saliors, minors and general organizers.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
That arrow/head is so cool. Would love to know more about how it is constructed and how it was used.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

My personal theory....

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
That arrow/head is so cool. Would love to know more about how it is constructed and how it was used.

Use is easy.

The pointed end goes into the other man.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post