SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper arrowhead discovered on Canadian mountain Login/Join 
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/science...ian-mountaintop.html

A rare copper arrowhead discovered on a remote Canadian mountaint is almost 900 years old, archaeologists have confirmed.

The arrowhead, which is at the tip of a perfectly preserved antler arrow, was found sticking out of an ice patch in Canada’s Yukon Territory. The find, which was made in 2016 on an unnamed mountain, surprised experts.

“It was found near the top of a snow-capped mountain in South West Yukon,” Yukon Archaeologist Greg Hare told Fox News. “It was an incredible discovery, we really didn’t intend to be on that [ice] patch on that day."

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Viking technology.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Viking technology.

Yep! And a new wrinkle in history.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how much we don't know about ourselves. That is incredible. Imagine finding that at random in the middle of "nowhere".

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
You could put your eye out with that thing Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I guess we'll have to rethink our assumptions about the use of metal in the Americas.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I guess we'll have to rethink our assumptions about the use of metal in the Americas.

Imagine a metal bow....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Very cool find.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I was kind of confused by the article on that I saw online - it kept referring to the copper head and an 11-inch (jagged!) section of antler as an "arrow". Some of the Indians up north have used spears with what I guess you'd call separable war heads. The idea was that you'd tie a line to the head both so that both it and whatever was speared could be recovered. I kinda wonder if that's what that is.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Copper was mined in North America 6-9,000 years ago
https://www.mpm.edu/research-c...h/old-copper-culture

There's been some fantasy that the Copper age, then the Bronze Age, was driven by Europeans mining American copper.

My thought is this is a fore shaft that would mount an on a wood shaft. I did see one remark that it took two weeks to make
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/...st-nations-1.4485895

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I talked to my Viking buddy. He said they didn't go that far west and they were into bronze at the time.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Viking technology.

Yep! And a new wrinkle in history.

Vikings roamed further than originally thought. It alsocould have been the result of trade. At any rate an interesting find.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
With the barbs on the antler (and assuming that part of the description is correct), it looks like a fishing spear to me.

Although no one talks about it in this era of all cultures were equal except for those in Europe which were, of course, morally—if not technologically—inferior, prior to 1492 people in the Americas were literally in the stone age. This may have been an example of the first tiny steps toward working with metal other than gold in the south for ornamental purposes, but it couldn’t have been very widespread.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting it wasn't blind luck but an active project:

Archaeologists have recovered about 250 objects from melting ice patches in Southern Yukon, almost all of which have been bows and arrows or throwing darts.

“The advantage of the ice patch project is that most of what we’re finding has an organic element that lets us radiocarbon date it,”

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
That's pretty damn cool no matter how it gets explained.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
From this 900 years ago, to today's nuclear weapons is an amazing leap in technology.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Icabod:
Copper was mined in North America 6-9,000 years ago
https://www.mpm.edu/research-c...h/old-copper-culture[QUOTE]

Based on the link from Icabod, the mystery is not that it exists, but how it ended up in the Yukon.

"These results provided conclusive evidence that aboriginal use of Great Lakes copper began during Middle Archaic times, circa 4,000 B.C"

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That may not be much of a mystery. There have been finds up in the Four Corners Area (where UT, CO, NM and AZ meet, for those who don't know it) of chocolate from Mexico, bird feathers from Guatemala and pipes made of stone from Minnessota. The Mississippi was a huge trade route, centered at different times on Cahokia (southern IL/MO border) and the Caddo settlements in north Louisiana. If something like flint could travel hundreds of miles, something like copper might travel thousands.

Basically there were trade networks across the continent long before the honkies showed up.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I read the article. I'm not up on when metals started to get used.

But other than finding a very old copper arrow head, is there anything else significant to the story? Does it up end any historical timelines or point to the idea that it must have been aliens?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, the big deal is that Indians weren't supposed to have used worked metal for weapons (especially something semi-disposable like spear heads, harpoon heads or arrowheads) before Europeans came around. So now the question is whether they were mining, smelting and working copper earlier than we knew or whether some Euros might have showed up in the Americas earlier than we knew.