SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stained Glass Hobbyists
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stained Glass Hobbyists Login/Join 
posted
Wife expressed an interest in getting into stained glass as a hobby. I'm looking for advice as to what tools to get for a beginner. I don't want to spend more that $300 if possible. If she really takes to it, I can add on later. Any help appreciated.

Awake not woke

Posts: 570 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
Wife expressed an interest in getting into stained glass as a hobby. I'm looking for advice as to what tools to get for a beginner. I don't want to spend more that $300 if possible. If she really takes to it, I can add on later. Any help appreciated.

Here is a list that will give you a good place to start https://craftandleisure.com/st...ols-supply-list-207/. I didnt or dont(been a while) do Cane - just foil. I will add that I bought a glass grinder like this https://www.glasscrafters.com/...-wiz-cg-grinder.html to start but it isnt necessary to begin

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will add that Glasscrafters is a great place for supplies and how tos

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My wife and I played with this many years ago. We started by taking an evening class at a local high school, where we learned the basics in tools, materials, and techniques. If she can't find a class, start with a good book or two. You don't need much in the way of tools; just a glass cutter, big soldering iron, plain solder (no core), flux, and a few odds and ends. Lead came is easier to start with than copper foil. Oh, get some Band-aids.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched craigslist, found a lady that was an instructor years ago, picked up lots of tools and glass as well as storage for the same for $500. took 4 trips to bring it all home.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My mom gave me all her stuff when her hands got arthritis...I’ve made items over the years for friends....I found that the better the dry fit of the pieces gives a more attractive final piece. Getting a diamond grinder is needed.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just think--if you work hard and practice, some day you can do this:
DSC_1493-2.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Awake not woke

Posts: 570 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've been through this and my recommendation is to take some classes first before you spend a lot of money.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post