SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help with concealed carry!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with concealed carry! Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Glock 26.
Wilderness 5 stitch gun belt.
Stealthgear Ventcore holster

About as small for doublestack I'll go. Steathgear holster breathes and very comfortable.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I carry a S&W Shield in a Remora pocket holster every day. IWB doesn't work for me with my clothing requirements for work. I carry that setup in shorts, slacks, jeans and sweatpants with no problem.

I also carry a PC Shield in a Remora pocket holster, a very nice combo. For tailored clothing a Sig P238 in a pocket Galco. Cold weather I carry an H K P30sk in a Dara owb. MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Always many ways each of us carry. Many years ago (many), I simply stuck the pistol in my waistband ala Mexican carry, either front or side.

Pocket carry is a good/bad method. Good for ease of concealment and draw, bad if sitting down trying to draw. I don't like carrying my Ruger LCPII pocket, I use a Kydex IWB, but not really enthused about the 380.

To the OP, find a rust resistant, small 9mm or above caliber in a pancake style holster, either IWB or OWB , that spreads the contact area against your body vs a small bodied holster.

That is what I have found to be most comfortable for me.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smith shield in 9mm or smith 642 in squared pocket holster in cargo shorts leg pocket for hot weather. I had carried IWB for 20 years till i moved to Virginia in the summer. I swapped to lontail t shirts and out side the waistband for fullsize carry on moderate 80 or below days.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Pocket carry a PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis, hot down here too. Wink

I use the same holster with ease, though a Ruger LC9.

Like some others I gave up size and capacity for consistency. I spend a lot of time in shorts and t-shirts in summer and simply wasn't carrying as much as I should because it was hot/a hassle/uncomfortable, etc. Yeah, I know, poor excuses, but there you are. Hasn't helped that I could, ahem, stand to loose a couple pounds or 30.

Pocket carry in the summers now has me carrying literally every time I leave the house. With a spare mag, I'm probably not that much worse off, and honestly way better than when I've left my P239 or P226 at home.

quote:
Good for ease of concealment and draw, bad if sitting down trying to draw.

Admittedly, if I'm going to be in the car much this concerned me. Probably more than it should. However it was easily solved with a second pistol in console/door side pocket.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
For pocket carry, the gold standard to me is the DeSantis Nemesis, I've used many pocket holsters in various materials and always come back to the Nemesis.

Here's an LCP in one (not mine):

+1
Loose cargo pants or shorts and front pocket carry with a small pistol in a sticky holster is the way I deal with it. I carry an LC9 instead of an LCP but they aren't that far off in size.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another vote for the PM9. I carried one in a Mitch Sparks PCH, front cargo pants pocket. Except for a nosy lady at the movie theater one night, I always thought that gun had a way of disappearing.

It is a striker-fired single stack, polymer frame, stainless slide.
http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-pm9.asp

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Since you are here in Alabama, you can open carry. This is not a recommendation for OC but that right means you don't have to worry about printing or flashing your firearm accidently. Get a good carry belt, and once you settle on a gun get someone to make you a good pancake style holster for it and then get used to carrying. Once you get used to having the gun on you and learn to dress around it you will realize that the people here in Alabama really could care less that you are carrying or are so self involved they will never see it. Along the way you can experiment with the type of holster you want because it has to fit you and your lifestyle. I generally wear blue jeans or slacks with a t-shirt or sweater and/or light jacket depending on the weather and carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks BN55 everywhere I go. In 20 years of carrying I have never had a problem. Good luck on finding the right gun. Most of us go through a lot of holsters and guns before we find the perfect fit.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Glock 26.
Wilderness 5 stitch gun belt.
Stealthgear Ventcore holster

About as small for doublestack I'll go. Steathgear holster breathes and very comfortable.

Excellent suggestion.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
In the summer I'll carry a Model 60 Smith & Wesson OWB and a Rohrbaugh 9mm in the right front pocket

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my PM9.

I have three holsters for it.

One pocket, one IWB, One OWB.

It depends on the time of year what what I am wearing.

I was also thinking of getting a sneaky pete holster but have not ordered it yet.

http://sneakypeteholsters.com/

60% of the time its pocket carry.

I bought mine here,

http://pocketholsters.com/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same. Semi dressy for work attire. When I'm gettin fancy I put it in a Galco Cop ankle holster

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I do fine in the Houston heat with a G26 and kydex owb holster under a tshirt and unbuttoned button-down shirt.

What do you like for an OWB holster? I typically use an IWB kydex for the G26, but it's small enough that OWB would work well too. I might have to try it.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Beginning in upper left and then clockwise, here are my most common concealed carry solutions:

Ruger LCR .38 Special in an excellent pocket holster made by Robert Mika - https://mikaspocketholsters.com/. (Check out the website if you've never heard of him. He's retired LE and makes LE products too. Also, believe him when he says the order will take 12 weeks to arrive.) The holster was made for a S&W J-frame and is slightly too small for the LCR but still usable.

Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. A mag pouch made by Robert Mika for the PM9. I put the duct tape on the mag pouch designed for OWB use for IWB carry as the Velcro was irritating. I also have a Mika IWB holster for the PM9.

North American Arms (NAA) Pug .22 WMR with tritium front sight. That can be carried in front shirt pocket quite inconspicuously. If I do that, I use shirts with Velcro fasteners instead of buttons. This allows fairly quick access to the Pug while preventing the revolver from falling out when bending over. (Walmart used to and may still sell short sleeve nylon Wrangler shirts for $15.)

.32 ACP NAA Guardian in Galco Stow-N-Go. The main problem with that mouse gun has been finding the right ammunition. I haven't checked recently, but ball ammo used to be the best choice.

As I prefer pocket carry of the PM9, I will repeat a story that I shared here a few years ago. Someone once tried to steal my "wallet" which was actually that Kahr PM9, so I would suggest having a plan if you're in a area where that might happen. The pickpocket was not larger than me, so I just shoved him aside. Looking sloppy and not tucking in a shirt is one plan that I have considered to help prevent the PM9 from being stolen.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
try these

I've lived in Fla and in NC and GA and AL and Sc and other places that are hot...

put a 5 shot revolver in your pocket and wear a good belt or wear a camp shirt...

most people are so self absorbed you could walk around with a RPG and not be noticed unless you don't have a cell stuck to your ear....

I carry a G19 in an AlienGear IWB at 4:30...and it's never been seen

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Honestly it's all in the belt. You will be amazed at how many "sins" a good belt will cover up so to speak.

An excellent point there.

This! A good quality belt and a good quality holster make all the difference.

Additionally, it takes a few weeks to get used to it. Once you do, you'll forget it's there.

I have carried a P238, a P228, a P229, and now carry a P250 inside-the-waistband at 4:00. It works fine for me, in jeans, dress pants, or belted shorts.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I carry a Sig 1911 ( C3 ) as my EDC, IWB and I live in Fla. hot, sticky, buggy, all the normal things in a hot climate and I still carry it. I have gotten so accustomed to the feeling I don't even think about it.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Honestly it's all in the belt. You will be amazed at how many "sins" a good belt will cover up so to speak.

An excellent point there.

Yup; I wear a Wilderness Ti 5-stitch every single day unless I have to suit-up; even then I still use a 1.5" wide belt to support a full gun.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Belt is key as others have said then holster and how they work together. I use to pocket carry if I was not carrying at about 4 o'clock, but I have quickly gotten away from pocket carry when I realized how slow I was trying to draw from my pocket. About 8 months ago, I started carrying AIWB and for me it’s been the best choice.

One belt I have been using which may be the best one yet is the Track Line Gun Belt, it’s a Leather belt with a plastic insert that adjusts about every 1/4 of an inch rather than 1/2-1 inch as some other belts do, and it adjusts by sliding. I use to carry a Glock 26 most because felt that was the biggest I could carry without printing, now after switching to AIWB I can carry a 19 easily and even a 17 during the winter months.

Best of luck and thank you for your service.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose it's as humid here as most anywhere in the country and what works for me is as follows;

In the winter, spring, and fall I wear a leather Beltman 1.5". The hotter months a stiff nylon web belt because the leather gets sweat soaked.
I carry a S&W 640 or a 3913 or 4040 most of the time in a Miltsparks or similar Askins Style belt holster on my Rt hip.
I can access my gun when sitting down or in the car with seatbelt fastened. I very occasionally put one of my carry pistols in a pocket holster but not often because I have to stand to access it.
I carry a 1076 in a similar holster set-up when walking in the woods or during the infrequent months when I wear a jacket.

Normally my cover garment is a one size too large tee shirt or polo.

I expect that a very alert and attentive observer who know what and where to look might see a suspicious crease or budge as I move around, but to quote Rhett Butler: Frankly my dear; I don't give a damn.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post