SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help with concealed carry!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with concealed carry! Login/Join 
posted
I am retired from the military, and I am having a hard time with this concealed carry thing. I have a variety of pistols. I started with a 1911 which I don't like, then I picked up a KelTec P11 which I hated. Then I picked up a Sig P 228 which I felt was to large, then I bought a Taurus millennium G2, and finally a Ruger LCP which has become my primary carry weapon because I can just stick it in my pocket, if my pants are loose enough. I believe the problem is not having the right holster. I have a few different ones, some that go on the belt some inside the pants. What I really want to know what are some of the more popular or preferred ways to carry concealed, especially in warmer weather, since I live in the south (Alabama)any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I understand. Assuming you have a carry permit, it's not as easy to carry in the South due to the heat. I find in the waistband carry uncomfortable even with decent holsters designed for such. I find that carrying a Sig P228 size, or similar, weapon much easier in the cooler weather and do so by wearing a outside the waistband holster and a jacket and/or a loose fitting shirt. When it gets warm I switch to carrying a Sig P938 9mm in a Bladeteck Klipt IWB holster and a NAA Pug .22 Magnum in a leather pocket holster in my pocket. I've found some decent button up short sleeved shirts and wear those untucked and open over a Tshirt. I hope that helps.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I carry a S&W Shield in a Remora pocket holster every day. IWB doesn't work for me with my clothing requirements for work. I carry that setup in shorts, slacks, jeans and sweatpants with no problem.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Pocket carry a PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis, hot down here too. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I carry appendix on my left side with P229/9, HK45C, and sometimes my P938. Works well and you just let your shirt hang out.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I do fine in the Houston heat with a G26 and kydex owb holster under a tshirt and unbuttoned button-down shirt.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I cc'd a P11 for 10 years. It's great to carry, not fun to shoot (until you have to).

I have since recently switched cc to a Glock G26 - same 10 rounds, slightly larger, much better trigger.

For holsters I like the inside the waistband standard Remora with partial sweatshield. No clip, held by friction, infinitely adjustable. I also cc a P228 in a Remora sometimes. They are only $20 + $6 for the sweatshield + shipping.

Also scroll through the CCW Methods & Issues forum. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/830601935

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just outside stoic-one's AO just a couple of days ago. Damn hot.

My CZ P-01 has ridden down there IWB in a Front Line leather holster. Ok for the most part, though I'd like it to be an inch taller on the body side. A Ryan Grizzle holster is on my todo list.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have Comptac Minotaurs for both my:
  • P239 SAS II
  • Kahr MK9

I really like wearing a moisture wicking undershirt with the hybrid holster. The leather against the undershirt is comfy, the draw is quick, you can reholster easily thanks to the kydex, and it conceals well.

I also have a Desantis Nemesis for pocket carrying the MK9.

As far as mag carriers:
  • I have a Ozarks Holster Co (the owner, dosborne, is a member here) hybrid mag carrier for both my 239 and MK9 for when I'm carrying IWB
  • I have a Desantis Mag-Packer for pocket carrying my MK9

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Music's over turn
    out the lights
    Picture of David W
    posted Hide Post
    I carry a Glock 43 inside the waist band or a Glock 19 outside and I am in the south as well.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3640 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    I carry a M&P Shield in a Kangaroo Carry.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    E tan e epi tas
    Picture of cslinger
    posted Hide Post
    Buy the best most rigid gun belt you can find.

Find a dress that is comfortable for you. Most of the time I like un tucked button downs and jeans for example. I like a tight fitting high riding snap on owb holster and can pretty trivially carry anything up to about Glock 17 size but really Glock 19/SIG P228 sized affairs are very easy.

IWB is more of a hassle but may suit your dress better. I find that for me I prefer single attachment or two snap loops with a kydex holster. The crossbreed/comp tac/stealth gear etc style is more comfortable but I find them a pain in the ass to put on and remove.

Honestly it's all in the belt. You will be amazed at how many "sins" a good belt will cover up so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Trophy Husband
    Picture of C L Wilkins
    posted Hide Post
    P938 in a DeSantis Super Fly. The Nemesis printed too badly with this pistol.

Front pocket carry.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Cobra21
    posted Hide Post
    I like thin leather for pocket carry...have had one of these for three different pocket guns and intend to get another if necessary.

http://store.dmbullardleather....4f6c801f0d1fe74a29d1

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cslinger:

Honestly it's all in the belt. You will be amazed at how many "sins" a good belt will cover up so to speak.

An excellent point there.

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=corfrm&cf=830601935

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fire for effect
    posted Hide Post
    Over the decades, I've gone from carrying a .380, which was small enough for me to conceal well, to a full sized S&W M&P9 or compact Sig P320. I've learned how to conceal and be comfortable with larger weapons over time. A good belt and a holster that works well for you are important. It can take time to find the right holster.

For better concealment than my EDC, I use a Shield 9 in a Rocket Motor Works IWB clip-on Kydex holster.

I will suggest something like a S&W Shield. It is thin, not too large, but big enough to handle well in shooting. A comfortable flat holster that holds the gun in tight, but allows for a good draw is important. Remember, what you carry must be good to shoot, as well as concealable.

This picture is a Glock G26 in a RM Works IWB Kydex holster, like I described above. The G26 is wider than the Shield. I don't have a picture of the Shield in it's holster.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    For pocket carry, the gold standard to me is the DeSantis Nemesis, I've used many pocket holsters in various materials and always come back to the Nemesis.

Here's an LCP in one (not mine):

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I use a S&W Model 36 or 60 which is a 1 7/8" five shot snubby revolver with a Bianchi Pocket Change holster. That is the safest, most easy to carry rig there is.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
    "A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of craigcpa
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    For pocket carry, the gold standard to me is the DeSantis Nemesis, I've used many pocket holsters in various materials and always come back to the Nemesis.

Here's an LCP in one (not mine):

Sage advice. And please use some type of holster.

==========================================
    Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post