SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Voice of Howard Cosell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Voice of Howard Cosell Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
To avoid drifting another thread any further, I thought I would give our younger members a taste of the immortal Howard Cosell.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Loved it!. Thanks for posting it. The immortal Howard Cosell

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I liked Howard in the day, I know some people found him irritating. He and Muhammad Ali were a great pair, very entertaining. Cosell was also the first in the world to announce John Lennon's death on Monday Night Football, the game was on in my house at the time. I read they were casual friends.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
...I thought I would give our younger members a taste of the immortal Howard Cosell.

And at least one older member. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I suppose it was true that us Denver Broncos fans had a persecution complex in those years, but Cosell was despised by the Denver fan base. Area bars used to do a MNF promotion where someone present in the bar would win the opportunity to throw a brick through a television when Costello was talking.

I thought he was a blowhard

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I thought this was Howard:

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of memories of watching games when he was providing the commentary. didn't think much of it at the time.

I like the uniqueness of his voice. Seemed to have a charisma!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I really liked watching Cosell, but this classic scene from Woody Allen's movie "Sleeper" was pretty funny:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwcLW9I0n8

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
G=He was always friendly. He lived in a building of a CEO I once worked for on 68th/69th and Lexington (yes these Flats ran the full block between the streets)
Along with Liz Minelli. The CEO would show up in the office once a month around 3pm otherwise he was in some Trendy part of the world. He lived a great life.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Howard and Dandy Don were undoubtedly the best announcer team we ever had.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, his career was marred by faux racial outrage all the way back in 1983.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I suppose it was true that us Denver Broncos fans had a persecution complex in those years, but Cosell was despised by the Denver fan base. Area bars used to do a MNF promotion where someone present in the bar would win the opportunity to throw a brick through a television when Costello was talking.

Interesting considering it was a Denver player he refereed to as a "little monkey " on a Monday night game in 1983 that led to the racial dust up mentioned in my above post. He "retired" from calling football at the end of that season.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Howard and Dandy Don were undoubtedly the best announcer team we ever had.

Fond memories growing up watching Monday Night Football with my Dad...When I was younger I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch the halftime highlights (in the days before 24/7 news it was about the only way to see highlights from games that were not shown locally).

I remember it well..."Halftime Highlights brought to you by Merrill Lynch...A breed apart!"

I tried to find a video online with that intro but sadly didn't see one out there.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

Interesting considering it was a Denver player he refereed to as a "little monkey " on a Monday night game in 1983 that led to the racial dust up mentioned in my above post. He "retired" from calling football at the end of that season.

I remember that incident, I was watching the game. He denied saying it and, of course, was on tape having done so. I remember thinking "Ruh Roh," when it occurred. He called a lot of MNF before that night and the monkey incident had no bearing on fan opinion of Cosell up to that night--it was already set.

Thinking back on it further, the animosity was largely related to MNF's halftime highlights. Remember this was before ESPN. Cosell presented the highlights and whether or not your team was featured had a lot to do with what that team's fans thought of him.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, at least he didn't toss a banana peel in a tree...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I cannot get all warm and fuzzy about Cossell. He was a strong supporter of Cassius Clay when Clay was dodging the Viet Nam draft and was a full supporter of the Black Power salutes at the 1968 Olympics. Because of the times, I would rank him several steps behind Hanoi Jane.

Also, if you had to forgo watching actual live Olympic events because his asinine live "Up close and Personal" interviews" over the course of a few Olympics - you might have a different opinion of his "style."

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I remember that incident, I was watching the game. He denied saying it and, of course, was on tape having done so. I remember thinking "Ruh Roh," when it occurred. He called a lot of MNF before that night and the monkey incident had no bearing on fan opinion of Cosell up to that night--it was already set.

Thinking back on it further, the animosity was largely related to MNF's halftime highlights. Remember this was before ESPN. Cosell presented the highlights and whether or not your team was featured had a lot to do with what that team's fans thought of him.

He actually denied that it was racial. He said it was term he used often to refer to his grandkids as they ran around the back yard. He was on tape calling a white player a little monkey as early as 1972. He refused to apologize as he felt he had done nothing wrong.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I thought is was Alvin Garrett of the Redskins.

I thought he was a blowhard[/QUOTE]

Interesting considering it was a Denver player he refereed to as a "little monkey " on a Monday night game in 1983 that led to the racial dust up mentioned in my above post. He "retired" from calling football at the end of that season.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
^^^ you are correct, he was a Redskin. I was mistaken about him playing for Denver.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I can still remember my mother saying "you little monkey" when I would do something she didn't like. Glad the PC police didn't remove her from the house. But then I was a white kid so I guess it was ok.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post