SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Melbourne.. car driven into crowd again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Melbourne.. car driven into crowd again Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
At least 14 people have been injured, several of them critically, after a car ploughed into a crowd in central Melbourne in what police described as a "deliberate act".

In a terrifying incident during the pre-Christmas shopping rush, the white SUV rammed into a large number of pedestrians at high speed on the pavement outside Flinders Street railway station, one of the Australian city’s main transport hubs.

Police said the driver and another man have been arrested after what they believed "was a deliberate act". Asked if the incident was terrorism-related, Victorian Police commander Russell Barrett said: "The motivations are unknown."

Witnesses described "people flying everywhere" as the vehicle, which was travelling at a reported 60mph, "just mowed everybody down" at around 5pm local time (6am GMT) on Thursday.

Others reported that the white Suzuki SUV, which is said to have had two men inside, appeared not to slow down before it crashed into a tram stop bollard.

The bearded driver of the SUV, who witnesses said was of Middle Eastern appearance, was wrestled to the ground and handcuffed following the crash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...s-crowd-injuring-19/

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly: ......who witnesses said was of Middle Eastern appearance....

I would truly have been amazed if he'd been an Inuit.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Hmmm no Blondes with Blue Eyes?
Why do we have these people in our country, Poland got it right!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Afghani

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Probably a white Afghani....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
Some places are not going to learn until it past the point of no return.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Guess who? But - let's not jump to any conclusions from outward appearances.

News is reporting 1) "that the driver was known to police", 2) "driver suffered from drug problems", and 3) "no links to terrorism".

So nothing to see here, move along and shut up.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the crack FBI "Can't Find A Motive" Squad is on the scene!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
If they would only outlaw trucks and SUV's, these things wouldn't happen. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Guess who? But - let's not jump to any conclusions from outward appearances..... So nothing to see here, move along and shut up....

These are not the droids you are looking for. Smile

The longer we ignore reality, the harder it will bite us. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The flannel throws me off. Could be a hipster.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I think this is a bit outside the FBI’s jurisdiction.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I did work with an Afghani hipster in San Francisco. Looks just like this perp.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
32-year old Australian citizen of Afghan descent "with history of mental illness" - so that is how the smart kids are now describing "Islamist extremism"?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Those gd Oklahoma Southern Baptists again...... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
What frightens me is that when you remove religion as a cause, even when it is, and just label events as mental illness (rather than evil) it could lead to unintended consequences. For instance, anyone who is of faith you do not like can be defined as mentally ill.
When working on my PhD my chair called me mentally retarded because I am a Christian. He was a hardcore atheist.
These guys may be motivated by religion or they may have been mad because they had their parking space stolen (road rage). I get mad too, but i believe in evil and fear doing evil and the ramifications to doing evil. Belief in judgement has a calming effect.

Grandma driving unto a post office because she is confused, tragic accident, take her license. These two fine young men? Do your due diligence to find the truth. then put them up to a wall, and pull the trigger.

Call evil evil.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

sad but so true.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Yeah, I must know 50 people who dress and look like that guy, none of whom are middle eastern, much less terrorists, nor even hipsters - a grossly overused term. Jeans, flannels, and beards like that are super popular in many circles worldwide and have been for years.

This particular asshole may be a terrorist, and a Muslim from the middle east, but his outfit and look aren't necessarily indicative of it. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:

Really? I know where it happened, I was saying it sounds like they are there with their silly 'Can't find a motive' narrative that they use and stick to even when the terrorist leaves a note, screams Allah Akbar and calls 911 to tell them that they are doing it to glorify Allah.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:

Really? I know where it happened, I was saying it sounds like they are there with their silly 'Can't find a motive' narrative that they use and stick to even when the terrorist leaves a note, screams Allah Akbar and calls 911 to tell them that they are doing it to glorify Allah.

Maybe I misread, but I thought this was Melbourne Australia?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post