SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Look "test on gasoline samples: opinions and comments.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Look "test on gasoline samples: opinions and comments. Login/Join 
posted
I thought it would be interesting to get some gasoline samples from stations/stores in my local area where I purchase gas and visually see how they differ and what that would represent according to the forum members.
Too see what might be the " best quality grade by looks only(tint,particles,water).
Tint 1-5 1 clear 5 yellow

BP/Mapco 1 Station
Exxon/Mobil 2 Station
Kroger 2 food store
Shell 3 Station
Speedway 4 Station

Does this reveal anything? Do not know supply source. What are your thoughts and comments?

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Usually the local stations get it from the same distributor with their own additive packages in them. My guess is your results have more to do with the in-ground tank condition and filtering conditions at the pump.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is a good overview of different ASTM fuel tests. To be blunt, your test mimics none of them.

I haven't physically seen pure additive in 15 years, but there was a lot of variability in both color and cloudiness. For example, Chevron's was semen white and much cloudier than Mobil, Exxon, Shell, Texaco, Generic. Additionally, the additives have several times changed in the last 15 years. We do have a Sigforumite who works for a manufacturer of gasoline additives.

Color is meaningless after being additized. Color is only meaningful prior to additization for pipeline batch changes.

Filtering the fuels wouldn't be an industry standard test but would've told you more if cloudiness changed or there were particulates in the filter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post