SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Semi-dressy Wellington Style Boots?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi-dressy Wellington Style Boots? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I'm looking for a pair of slip-on boots that will shine up enough to look fairly dressy. Chinos and a button-down shirt is about as dressy as I get any more.

Black, 8" or less. Side zipper considered. Cowboy boots are a non-starter.

Can't find anything at Amazon, LLBean or local shoe stores.

Suggestions?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
might be too dressy but technically dress shoes have laces. there are plenty of cheaper brands that look similar for 50 bucks or so.

Allen Edmonds Boots

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this on hobbs.com--- in U.K. but ship worldwide.

"Our glossy leather boots have a bold glamor that reflects their military heritage. Inspired by a smart pair of pigskin boots held in the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection, they'll add perfect polish to any look. These boots were handmade at Hobbs shoe factory in Italy using the finest Spazzolato leather. Featuring an inside zip and stitched rands, these luxury wellingtons are a timeless wardrobe investment. It should be noted that this leather is not waterproof.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
less expensive from DSW

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/prod...1208?activeColor=211

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a pair of motorcycle boots?

I have a pair that are plain black leather and calf length made by Dainese

Alternatively maybe something like these:https://www.police-equipment-worldwide.com/catalog/boots-shoes-duty.html

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
http://m.macys.com/shop/produc...477&CategoryID=55637

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I've worn Florsheim for decades. Love them. Like this:

http://www.zappos.com/p/florsh...uj5:20170502205524:s

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Ariat boots. www.ariat.com

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lookin' too. Local mil-surplus place had black Czech republic used Jackboots for $19.99. They looked great, but the fit was less than pleasant (for me). Even well worn, they were just too stiff. My take away was that I'd need to try them beforehand, it's not something to mail-order.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
I've worn Florsheim for decades. Love them. Like this:

http://www.zappos.com/p/florsh...uj5:20170502205524:s

There ya go! For a minute there I was thinking I was even more of a hayseed than I realized. $400+ for a pair of ugly shoes? Really?

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I'm lookin' too. Local mil-surplus place had black Czech republic used Jackboots for $19.99. They looked great, but the fit was less than pleasant (for me). Even well worn, they were just too stiff. My take away was that I'd need to try them beforehand, it's not something to mail-order.

Fer Shure. Given that I vary as much as a size-and-a-half and a full width depending on brand and style, on-line is not an option.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Are Herman Santa Rosa boots still available? I have owned a pair of those since the '80s and they are still in good condition.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Ariat boots. www.ariat.com

Huge fan of Ariats for years. Worn out more than a couple pairs of Cascade lacers. Wear pull ons at work or roper style. Not exactly sure what is a Wellington style anymore, roper style I guess, with a lower heel...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blundstones. Australian sizing so zappos might be the way to go with free shipping if they are the wrong size. I have two pair, I love them.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Wellington style boots are, but I have some RM Williams paddock boots which are decent

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
. . .
Fer Shure. Given that I vary as much as a size-and-a-half and a full width depending on brand and style, on-line is not an option.

Nice thing about Zappo's, they ship them free to you. If they don't fit you can ship them back to them free. They will send you another size to try, shipping still free.

My wife sometimes orders 3 or 4 pairs at a time. Tries them all on, keeps whatever she likes and sends the rest back.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ropers?

These aren't cowboy boots to me, and seem to be exactly what you describe - dressy Wellingtons.

Here are Lucchese, but there are other brands.

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/mens/boots/roper/

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Black Justin Ropers are about as classic as it gets. I like bootbay.com

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Ropers?

These aren't cowboy boots to me, and seem to be exactly what you describe - dressy Wellingtons.

Here are Lucchese, but there are other brands.

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/mens/boots/roper/

Uh, nope. On my planet, those are western/cowboy boots. Not to mention out of my price range by a factor of 3 or so.

The Florsheims posted by Yellow Jacket are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but they're out of my size according to their website.