SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One year ago today-house fire and loss of family guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One year ago today-house fire and loss of family guns Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Some may remember that my Dad passed a little over six years ago. He owned two homes in different states and his primary residence was out of state and this is where he kept his guns, ammo, and reloading equipment. Due to the logistics of travelling out of state and settling his estate, various important papers, possessions, and his guns were being removed in stages.

Years before his death my Dad called a meeting of his sons to discuss the disposition of his guns and who was going to receive what. Although the list was complete at the time my father continued to buy guns and accessories and their disposition was never discussed or recorded, none of us knew where the master list was kept, and none of us had received a copy of the list.

The first batch of guns was retrieved, and consisted mostly of long guns, but because the family member who retrieved them didn't know the location(s) of all the remaining guns in the house and was in hurry to make the long trip home many of the guns remained with plans to find them on a future trip.

But that future trip came too late...one year ago today the house burned to the ground, ironically and sadly, on my Dad's birthday.

I post this not for sympathy, but as a gentle reminder and cautionary tale for others to learn from. I've been meaning to make this post for a year now, but finally decided that this sad anniversary was a good time to make the time to do it.

Note the ammo can in this pic and the one below. The ammo and magazines were destroyed, and in some instances the ammo appears to have fired and the bullets penetrated through the steel wall of the ammo can.

I believe the barrel may be from a Henry Arms Survial Rifle. The barreled receiver and stock extension may be from a Browning SA-22

Note the rounds in the chamber. We think the gray porous material may be melted lead from the bullets.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
First, happy birthday to your father. I am sorry to hear if your loss if your father, and the home and belongings inside.

What caused the fire?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I post this not for sympathy, but as a gentle reminder and cautionary tale for others to learn from. I've been meaning to make this post for a year now, but finally decided that this sad anniversary was a good time to make the time to do it.

My condolences for losing your dad, and also the fire later on. I may be a little slow on the uptake here, but what is your reminder, and the cautionary tale you are making here.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father and the subsequent loss of his home and remaining valuables.

Thank you for sharing your story as I am sure most on our forum will appreciate your "warning".

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Those are some pretty hard photos to look at. How do you go about cleanup after something like that? Can you put burned up ammo, lead, firearms, etc in the landfill?

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
My condolences for losing your dad, and also the fire later on. I may be a little slow on the uptake here, but what is your reminder, and the cautionary tale you are making here.

Ditto for me. Fires could have happened at your home or your brother's homes. Was there reason to believe your father's house was particularly at risk?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Can you advise what caused the fire, and did your dad have them in a safe? If so, what brand?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post