SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small, silent induction cooktop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small, silent induction cooktop Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm looking for a small portable induction cooktop. Something like this but a key requirement is that it be silent / whisper quiet while in operation. It doesn't need to be too fancy. But compact size and silence is critical.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Any recommendations?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$11, but not induction. Why does it need to be induction? What are you using it for?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We have a NuWave, we use it all the time, but it is NOT quiet.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Tea ceremony. Cast iron kettle.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who swears by induction cooktops.

I'd heard that they were loud, buzzing and humming, but his wasn't. I asked about it and he said it that the noise varied with the pan used.

Most of the noise that was present was from the fan. He explained that the larger the enclosure/case, the quieter the fan would be.

This is the one he had https://www.amazon.com/Fissler...ooktop/dp/B0027VT22C

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
silence is critical.

they all have fans in there to keep it cool

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have a portable single pan induction plate. I use it for deep frying because it keeps the oil temp right where it needs to be. It's so silent I can hear a mouse fart in the next room. I will look later to see what brand it is.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
quote:
silence is critical.

they all have fans in there to keep it cool

This.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I would like to try induction cooking, but I just can’t get my wife on board.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm wondering if I can take one of these well respected but noisy cooktops and have some add some passive heat pipes or something. Or quieter fan. How much cooling do these things really need?

Interesting what lastmanstanding is using.... Smile

Currently using resistive heating coils but would like to heat the water more quickly, control the temp more quickly and have something that generates less heat and isn't as much of a fire hazard.

This is probably dumb, but can I displace the inductive elements from the electronic controls? What's the fan cooling - the electronics or the inductive elements? Is there a commercial solution where the controls and the inductors are separate (restaurant guys?)?

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
How about maybe mounting the induction plate in some type of sound insulated enclosure. That is placed on the table top or adds to the entire table top? Or recessed into the table top, depending on the table of course. Just a thought.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post