SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
So.....National reciprocity for concealed carry passed the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday is expected to receive a floor vote before the end of the year.

What do ya'll think?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am personally against. I feel it will lead to restrictions on the better states.

Even so I wrote my senator imploring him to vote yes and recieved this response.

"Dear Mr. Mbinky:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about concealed carry reciprocity. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 27, 2017, Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) introduced S. 446, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. If enacted, this legislation would amend the federal criminal code to allow individuals who possess valid concealed carry permits in their home state to conceal carry in other states that permit residents to carry a concealed firearm – in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

I generally believe that a federal law should not be implemented to override existing state laws; however, the current reciprocity laws often confuse even the most informed, law-abiding gun owners. Concealed carry permit holders should have the right to carry in other states that do not prohibit it. Should this bill come before the full Senate, I will support it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis
U.S. Senator"

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Not gonna happen.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
So I’ve always wondered, how does this new law should it be enacted effect someone in a state that is may issue like NY if you have a full carry permit from another state like Florida?

Does the New Yorker continue to not be able to carry in NY even though a visitor from Florida could carry with their florida permit? Does the New Yorker's non resident Florida carry permit do anything for him? Asking for a friend lol...

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
So.....National reciprocity for concealed carry passed the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday is expected to receive a floor vote before the end of the year.

What do ya'll think?

Pertinent Link

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Question: Is there any state in the Union that will issue a concealed carry license without doing a background check on the applicant?

At this LINK there is an article that asserts that national reciprocity will promote domestic violence because it will enable domestic abusers who are rejected in one state to get a CCW license in another, and then carry their weapon back to use it to perpetrate domestic abuse.

". . .John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, called the bill a 'ploy to weaken state gun laws and allow untrained people and people with dangerous histories to carry hidden, loaded handguns across the country'. . ."

Um, no, John. Those "untrained people. . .with dangerous histories" don't bother to get concealed-carry permits in the first place; nor, for that matter, do they obey our laws. That's why they're dangerous. Further, I'm thinking that every CCW applicant in every state undergoes a background check (but I'm not sure about that).

Doesn't appear to be a comments section associated with the article, no way to point out the fallacy to readers.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the first article that appeared when I google searched it....hmmmmmm

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It works for drivers licenses...Hell yeah. Bring it on!!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until the other shoe drops. If it happens national Reciprocity will turn out to be a complete mess just like the Unaffordable Care Act. They'll tack on something like a 10,000 per year "carry tax" or some such and once it's implemented it won't matter if you don't want the National Option to avoid that tax you'll have to pay that tax just to carry in your own state.

To be very blunt I've been around long enough and burnt frequently enough that I wouldn't trust ANY Congress Critter about anything. Just wait, that "middle class" tax cut will end up costing everyone who earns between 20,000 and 100,000 dollars another 5 to 15% per year.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We must pass this bill.

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
We must pass this bill.

What he said.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I am personally against. I feel it will lead to restrictions on the better states.

I'm with you on this thought.
What haven't the congresscritters NOT completely fucked up? The only thing I can think of is the things they haven't focused their blurred vision on.

NO! Don't fall for it!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
So I’ve always wondered, how does this new law should it be enacted effect someone in a state that is may issue like NY if you have a full carry permit from another state like Florida?

Does the New Yorker continue to not be able to carry in NY even though a visitor from Florida could carry with their florida permit? Does the New Yorker's non resident Florida carry permit do anything for him? Asking for a friend lol...

Along the same line, does the out of state permit trump an upstate permit which doesn't allow carry in NYC? Does an upstate permit that carries restrictions such as "hunting and target shooting only" carry over to all of the rest of the states that are visited? Will out of state resident permits be no longer allowed?

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:

Technically the New Yorker can get a CCW from Florida. Florida allows non residents to get a Florida CCW. It would seem to me this is a round about way to unrestrict carry in may issue states. If so, it would be glorious.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way I would support a bill similar to this is if it read, "Any person not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal Law shall have the same right to carry any firearm or other weapon in any place as would be granted to a member of the United States Secret Service actively engaged in protective duties."

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So long as the verbiage of the bill is an improvement upon the current situation, I’m in.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope and pray that this passes to be LAW. I would love to be able to drive and visit states that I currently avoid like DC, Maryland, New Jersey, etc. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Pertinent Link

quote:
The bill could come to the House floor before the end of the year, said its sponsor, Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.). “I’ve been telling leadership since July we’ve had the votes, and it’s just been a matter of scheduling,” he said Wednesday.

“This bill is about the simple proposition that law abiding Americans should be able to exercise their right to self-defense even when they cross out of their state’s borders. That is their constitutional right.”

Hudson, in an interview, said his bill would allow weapons permits to be treated the same way that driver’s licenses or marriage licenses are — that states would grant mutual recognition to documents issued by other states.

“All we’re saying is, Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution says each state should give full faith and credit to the laws of every other state, and the Congress has the responsibility to determine how those documents are recognized,” he said.

Sounds simple enough, but Congress is involved so the Devil will be in the details! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Illegal immigrants can easily and legally get a license and drive in any state in the USA, then I being a United States Citizen should be able to exercise my Constitutional Rights and conceal carry in every state in the USA !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
We basically just need to apply LEOSA to everyone - not just LE.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post