SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to remove concrete from posts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove concrete from posts? Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be too hard with a good heavy sledgehammer. That concrete should crack and fall off with a few wacks.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We just did this with some fence poles. By the time I found and readied my chipping hammer, Jr DF #3 had all of the concrete off of all five poles with my sledge. Wear eye protection and swing away. Comes off easier than it looks.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
We just did this with some fence poles. By the time I found and readied my chipping hammer, Jr DF #3 had all of the concrete off of all five poles with my sledge. Wear eye protection and swing away. Comes off easier than it looks.

Great! Send him on over! Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
OK Sigforum, I need your help. We're giving our swingset to our neighbors. I spent the day tearing it down, now I need to get the concrete off the posts. Is there an easy way to do this, or am I stuck with a sledge and concrete chisel?

I think the answer to your question is yes. There is an easy way, but involves an excavator with a hydraulic thumb. Your best bet is probably either let the recipient deal with it or find an 18 year old to come do it for you. Failing that, as stated it comes off reasonable well with a sledge. It will likely be much easier than it was to get them out of the ground...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

I vote for letting the new owner deal with it as he wants.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Great! Send him on over! Big Grin

You'll have to feed him though......might not be worth it. Big Grin

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You guys are cracking me up. I beat on the concrete below with a sledge hammer for 15 minutes and all I got were bloody shins from the the few chips I managed to make. I like the hammer drill idea to make a row of holes to get the crack started, but I don't have one up here. I'm just going to rebury it in it's new location.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If the metal is stout enough you can try hitting that with the sledge. That's a huge wad of overkill concrete though.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you think that's overkill, you should see what I did for the basketball hoop. Smile

It is a chunk of concrete though and that's a telescoping aluminum flag pole in it. The pvc sleeve the pole is in got sand in it and the pole no longer slides out. In defense of the concrete, it was in sand and never moved until this year. The river claimed a 4 foot high, 6 foot wide, and 50 foot long section of sand dune in front of my parent's house. The flagpole was originally set 10 feet from the edge and it was 5 feet from the edge last year. This year, it was at the bottom of the river.

I just finished putting in it's new location in front of our house.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If the recipient is going to use the stuff, just leave the concrete on it. He can dig bigger holes, which he would have to do to pour his own concrete, anyway.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I suggest dynamite.

Explosives are generally my go-to solution for everything. Thankfully it's hard to buy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I suggest dynamite.

Explosives are generally my go-to solution for everything. Thankfully it's hard to buy.

I think you are onto something here. I've got everything I need in my reloading cave...Big Grin