SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to remove concrete from posts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove concrete from posts? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
OK Sigforum, I need your help. We're giving our swingset to our neighbors. I spent the day tearing it down, now I need to get the concrete off the posts. Is there an easy way to do this, or am I stuck with a sledge and concrete chisel?

By the way, I may not survive the night. This about killed me today Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are giving it away. I would suggest having the neighbor come pick it up, unless there is more to this story.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You are giving it away. I would suggest having the neighbor come pick it up, unless there is more to this story.

I wouldn't want to wish this chore on anyone Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A 16 lb. sledge hammer would work just like it did for me in 1963. Just find yourself an 18 yr. old to swing it. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Hammer drill or even better a rotary hammer not too hard but not easy either. drill holes in a line and then swing the sledge.

Posts: 4684 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just move those pieces to his place in a pickup or trailer as-is, and let him dig a little bigger hole. A lot easier than busting concrete, anyways!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A long handled sledge will knock the poles clean with a few swings each.

Last month I had about 40 poles to get the concrete removed so that the recycling place would take them. I tried a hand sledge and chisel first, but it didn't take long to realize that was not the way. So I took a long handled 9lb sledge to one of the poles and that concrete busted right off with two swings. Some other poles with a larger mass of concrete took 3-4 swings, but the concrete broke off cleanly. Granted, I had large chunks of concrete to dispose of but they are now doing service as erosion control in a deep ditch.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I would sawzall the pole where it meets the concrete, and then rebuild and reinforce the pipes as needed at the new location. The kids won't notice a few joints.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
As-is where-is. Done!

If you bust it off (easy to do with a sledge)
you have to dispose of the concrete.

As mentioned he could leave it on and just dig holes big enough to fit.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Definitely leave it on. You dug holes big enough to pour the concrete. Unless he's going to skip the concrete he'll need to dig holes that big anyway. So yes, maybe a little bigger to fit those in, but that's balanced by not having to mix concrete.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rent a rotary hammer with a chisel tip to use as a mini jackhammer. Or if you have a large air compressor and air hammer it will do the same thing. The sledge hammer will work but take more muscle.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
tell them to dig bigger holes.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
$150 without out the concrete, $50 with the concrete. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
$150 without out the concrete, $50 with the concrete. Big Grin

^^^

Your neighbor will understand. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Cut the ends off with a saw.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
A long handled sledge will knock the poles clean with a few swings each.

Last month I had about 40 poles to get the concrete removed so that the recycling place would take them. I tried a hand sledge and chisel first, but it didn't take long to realize that was not the way. So I took a long handled 9lb sledge to one of the poles and that concrete busted right off with two swings. Some other poles with a larger mass of concrete took 3-4 swings, but the concrete broke off cleanly. Granted, I had large chunks of concrete to dispose of but they are now doing service as erosion control in a deep ditch.

This is how to do it. I have used this method several times with success.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few swings with the sledge will handle it! Send the wife out with the sledgehammer while you go on a beer run.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
A few swings with the sledge will handle it! Send the wife out with the sledgehammer while you go on a beer run.

Big Grin

I like the idea of leaving it on.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23951 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nine pound hammer-Townes VanZandt

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEq-u72bV_g

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Actually...a few good wacks with an 8# sledge hammer works well...concrete seems to come off easily (within reason) from steel posts (not so much with 4X4s).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post