SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comey admits he lied to protect Hillary!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comey admits he lied to protect Hillary! Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's not that he wanted her to win... Maybe he did. Who knows? Doesn't matter. It's more so that he thought she WOULD win and he wanted to remain viable personally as director.

Bigboreshooter is right.

Originally posted by 46and2:
I'm surprised you think that. Please expound, if you don't mind.

Because it seems pretty crazy that he'd risk his entire career, reputation, perhaps even jail, all for an outside chance to work for a woman who has said as recently as a this May that she thinks he's half of why she lost (as have many others), when, up until his strange actions and statements regarding her Emails, the worst Hillary could have done is fire him / ask him to resign? (excepting, of course, conspiracy nonsense like she had something on him or whatever)

The same guy who has, in between his government jobs just from 2005-2013, been general counsel and a Senior VP for Lockheed, general counsel for Bridgewater, and other well paid and fairly prestigious jobs offered to folks like himself that surely pay better and offer more longevity than being the FBI Director for 4 or so more years?

The same guy who was involved in the Whitewater case, the investigation into Bill's pardon of Marc Rich whose wife was a Clinton donor, Hillary's Emails, Wiener's Sexting and Huma's Laptop, and who was a life long Republican until very recently, a lawyer since 1985, having served under Reagan and both Bushes (as well as Clinton and Obama)?

I just don't see anything (thus far) that supports the notion that he had any real reason to believe Hillary would even entertain the thought of keeping him on, much less enough to motivate him to take such unprecedented actions that weren't even big-time enough to guarantee her a win or him being owed a favor - a true long shot it seems, that not only didn't help her but probably tanked her, all to maybe keep his job under her if she won, only to be ultimately fired by Trump anyway?

OK, I'll expound a bit.

J. Edgar Hoover served as Director of the FBI from July 1, 1935 – May 2, 1972 when he died from a heart attack at his Washington, D.C., home. Prior to that, he served as Director of the BOI, the Bureau of Investigation which became the FBI in 1935, from May 10, 1924 when he was appointed Chief by Calvin Coolidge.

All together, he was the Chief, or Director for an incredible 48 years. He "served" under Presidents Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt; Harry Truman; Dwight Eisenhower; John F. Kennedy; Lyndon Johnson; and Richard Nixon.

He was considered too powerful for the President, of either party, to fire. He had "the goods" on everyone.

I think, to some extent, James Comey thought (in his own mind) he could be a modern J. Edgar Hoover. He clearly liked being Director and thought he was above the politics of Washington, DC.

The investigation of Hillary Clinton's private server and her emails put him in a pickle. He knew she wasn't going to be prosecuted by the Obama Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, no matter what his recommendation or what the report said.
But he wanted to make it look like it was a fair and impartial investigation, while knowing that she would not be prosecuted. That's why he did the press conference. On July 5, 2016, Comey announced the FBI’s recommendation that the United States Department of Justice file no criminal charges relating to the Hillary Clinton email controversy. During a 15-minute press conference in the J. Edgar Hoover Building, Comey called Secretary Clinton's and her top aides' behavior "extremely careless", but concluded that "no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case". It was believed to be the first time the FBI disclosed its prosecutorial recommendation to the Department of Justice publicly.

In effect, he let Loretta Lynch off the hook. She didn't have to make the decision not to move forward with the prosecution of Hillary Clinton. She could simply say she was following the recommendation of the FBI Director, even though the decision to prosecute, or not, is not up to the FBI Director.

By letting Loretta Lynch off the hook and giving cover, he was doing Hillary Clinton a favor. I think he thought that was enough to keep his job. All the polls, at that time said she would win and I think James Comey, at that point, also thought Hillary Clinton would win the election.

In other words, it was entirely self-serving.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Can the OP, or anyone else, show me where in Comey's statements he admits to doing this to protect HRC?

If we want to complain about the dishonesty, shouldn't the complaints themselves be honest?

As far as I can tell the thread title is NOT honest.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Can the OP, or anyone else, show me where in Comey's statements he admits to doing this to protect HRC?

Although I’ve read through the thread more than once, I’m still having trouble understanding what he lied about, much less why except that he didn’t want to reveal that the FBI concluded the email was bogus and by doing so possibly reveal how that conclusion was reached. I have enough other things to get spun up about without getting spun up about something as confusing as this. (If someone cares to explain it, I would be happy to read it.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Russian Intelligence Prompted James Comey's Blistering Presser On Clinton Emails, But He Knew It Was Fake

Townhall.com
Matt Vespa
May 27, 2017

When the FBI knew the Russians were trying to interfere in our election, they could—from time to time—peer into their networks and see what was taken. What they found reportedly influenced former FBI Director James Comey to hold a press conference on July 5, 2016 and issue that strongly-worded rebuke of Hillary Clinton and her team concerning how they handled classified information. A memo reportedly from a Democratic operative reportedly made assurances that the FBI’s email probe would not go too far, then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch would ensure that. If the investigation ended with no charges and this was leaked, the credibility of the FBI would be in the crosshairs. The New York Times had a lengthy piece in April about Mr. Comey’s attempts to keep the FBI out of the political spotlight during the 2016 cycle, which proved all but impossible (via NYT):

"During Russia’s hacking campaign against the United States, intelligence agencies could peer, at times, into Russian networks and see what had been taken. Early last year, F.B.I. agents received a batch of hacked documents, and one caught their attention.

The document, which has been described as both a memo and an email, was written by a Democratic operative who expressed confidence that Ms. Lynch would keep the Clinton investigation from going too far, according to several former officials familiar with the document.

Read one way, it was standard Washington political chatter. Read another way, it suggested that a political operative might have insight into Ms. Lynch’s thinking."

The notion that the Democratic-led DOJ could be playing favorites for Mrs. Clinton were further amplified by Ms. Lynch telling Mr. Comey not to call the email probe an investigation, but a matter. Also, that 20-30-minute meeting between Ms. Lynch on former President Bill Clinton on the tarmac in Phoenix days before the July 5 presser. Mr. Clinton boarded Ms. Lynch’s plane where the two reportedly spoke about golf and grandkids. That was never going to suffice and the screams that a 'fix was in' should no charges be filed would be deafening. The only problem was that Mr. Comey didn’t see intent, he saw gross negligence, but the former was the standard he wanted to go by, despite the letter of the law not having such a statute concerning the mishandling of classified information. That explains the blistering indictment of Mrs. Clinton’s judgment at the presser, and that of her staff. Mr. Comey wanted to show that the Democratic–run DOJ was not putting its thumb on the scales. At the same time, Republicans were infuriated that he declined to file charges when it seems apparent that he should have. That's all settled however. Now, we know that the memo from the Democratic operative that former FBI Director James Comey took into account was not genuine and he knew it (via CNN):

"Then-FBI Director James Comey knew that a critical piece of information relating to the investigation into Hillary Clinton's email was fake -- created by Russian intelligence -- but he feared that if it became public it would undermine the probe and the Justice Department itself, according to multiple officials with knowledge of the process.

As a result, Comey acted unilaterally last summer to publicly declare the investigation over -- without consulting then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch -- while at the same time stating that Clinton had been "extremely careless" in her handling of classified information. His press conference caused a firestorm of controversy and drew criticism from both Democrats and Republicans.

Comey's actions based on what he knew was Russian disinformation offer a stark example of the way Russian interference impacted the decisions of the highest-level US officials during the 2016 campaign.

The Washington Post reported Wednesday that this Russian intelligence was unreliable. US officials now tell CNN that Comey and FBI officials actually knew early on that this intelligence was indeed false."

President Trump fired Mr. Comey earlier this month over his conduct during this investigation, though Democrats find that explanation ludicrous. At the same time, the October 28, 2016 letter Mr. Comey sent to Congress informing them that more emails would be reviewed sent Democrats into a rage, with many calling for the then-FBI director to resign. When Trump did fire Mr. Comey, the outrage continued, but this time Democrats thought the move reeked of Watergate. That’s also patently false.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
This is the great weakness of Hillary's private server and 30k deleted emails. Anyone could recreate and introduce emails reflecting guilt for any situation they desire.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If we want to complain about the dishonesty, shouldn't the complaints themselves be honest?

Sorry for the delay in response. I've been on vacation.

Admittedy, Comey did not say "I lied to protect Hillary".
But the implication of his testimony is that he told an "untruth", (that he was ending the Hillary investigation, when we now no it was not ended) and the effect of that false announcement was unquestionably to help Hillary at the time.

CNN is trying to spin it as showing more evidence of "Russian interference". But Russia, and many others, try to hack and interfere with us constantly. When has an FBI director ever come out and made an announcement that he was ending a related investigation just to protect us from "false information"....or whatever other convoluted reasons they hint at ?!?!

So CNN has created a "tangled web" without realizing that it implicates COMEY as a liar and Hillary stooge.

For review:

Washington (CNN)Then-FBI Director James Comey knew that a critical piece of information relating to the investigation into Hillary Clinton's email was fake -- created by Russian intelligence -- but he feared that if it became public it would undermine the probe and the Justice Department itself, according to multiple officials with knowledge of the process.

As a result, Comey acted unilaterally last summer to publicly declare the investigation over -- without consulting then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch -- while at the same time stating that Clinton had been "extremely careless" in her handling of classified information. His press conference caused a firestorm of controversy and drew criticism from both Democrats and Republicans.

Comey's actions based on what he knew was Russian disinformation offer a stark example of the way Russian interference impacted the decisions of the highest-level US officials during the 2016 campaign........
... -- in order to cloud and confuse ongoing investigations.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, Comey had information about the e-mails implicating AG Lynch in a scheme to neutralize the FBI investigation. He knew those e-mails were faked, apparently from some reliable source. He believed if the e-mails were made public, they could not be refuted, shown to be false, without giving away the reliable source. Then, the story broke about Lynch meeting BJ at the Phoenix airport.

Now he saw the situation was essentially hopeless, a beggar's crossroads that leads to disaster in all directions. His conclusion was to announce the end of the investigation with a recommendation of no prosecution. This should have protected Lynch, HilLIARy and the reliable source.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now he saw the situation was essentially hopeless, a beggar's crossroads that leads to disaster in all directions. His conclusion was to announce the end of the investigation with a recommendation of no prosecution. This should have protected Lynch, HilLIARy and the reliable source.

Yes. I agree.
Essentially what I posted at the top of this page.
quote:
The investigation of Hillary Clinton's private server and her emails put him in a pickle. He knew she wasn't going to be prosecuted by the Obama Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, no matter what ....
In effect, he let Loretta Lynch off the hook. By letting Loretta Lynch off the hook and giving cover, he was doing Hillary Clinton a favor.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:

Admittedy, Comey did not say "I lied to protect Hillary".
Yeah, so then you're admitting your thread title was completely dishonest.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, so then you're admitting your thread title was completely dishonest.

I explained completely. You can have your own opinion.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post