SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comey admits he lied to protect Hillary!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comey admits he lied to protect Hillary! Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Wow, very interesting.

quote:
the Russians were attempting to interfere with the election

BTW, the way this phrase is phrased (and I know Bama didn't author it...), IMO, overly sensationalizes what is likely everyday operations for Russia and any other nation of any import, us too, particularly those who aren't our very best friends or otherwise harmless allies (Canada, England, Israel, probably France, etc).

for instance, I'd bet real money that there is a room or three of our own intelligence services folks who are at this very moment engaged in or otherwise planning similar disinformation campaigns somewhere in the world, maybe just to try to affect a mayor's race in some Mexican border town, or to fuck with the Norks, or just to rub some tin pot kook raw, etc, as there surely are similar things happening in Israel, England, and so on.

typical global politics and warfare, surely, and sometimes it coincides with an election somewhere, other times not, and not that I'm a fan of Russia, but I'm certain that action was neither new nor unique to them, so in a certain sense it's just, in this case, Russia being Russia...

and I doubt anyone whose job involves such things is surprised they did it, and that phrasing/characterization by the news seems to ignore this and attempt to convey otherwise to sell more papers and such or perhaps imply a deeper and more sinister Russia/Trump connection to further the leftist agenda and hurt us and Trump as a byproduct. No?

Like: Newsflash: Water Wet, Russians spread disinformation, Sugar Sweet... More at 11...

my guess, and it's only a guess, is that Putin and Russia can't fucking stand Hillary either, and knew what a clusterfuck she'd be for everyone, too, mostly no matter who she was running against because she just sucks that badly, and at the intersection of this common dislike of Hillz and global politics and warfare, some dudes in a room in Russia thought this up and added it to that week's list of similar shit in ten places. Business as usual, I bet. They knew there was an investigation regarding DEM emails, so they pretended to have some of those emails which said such-and-such. Simple, likely, easy to understand. No?

Sure, I agree it's technically true that such an act as this particular bit of disinformation can be categorized as "attempting to influence the election", but everytime I hear it phrased that way it makes me think the news and some folks are primarily trying to characterize and over emphasize it as unusual, some big plot, some sort of more devious scheme, or imply some tacit or otherwise direct support for Trump, and so on.

We spy, they spy, we lie, they lie, (and most everyone else too), it's how that shit works and most assuredly always has. *That* part, the disinformation, even in an election year, isn't surprising at all, IMO,

Maybe it makes no difference, but it's something that came to mind again. Pardon the tangent if you find it disinteresting or otherwise. I'm just floating the thought...

As for Comey, per those recent news reports, it seems he knew it was disinformation, and supposedly knew that if it became public he couldn't prove it in time to negate its effects or at least not without a cost he felt was too high (compromising this or that) - and perhaps that's some half cocked attempt to have *some* tiny ground to stand upon to try to explain away his actions, but that, too, seems pretty weird and loosey goosey for a man of his level, for an act that itself wasn't anywhere near guaranteeing Hillz would win, so why risk it?

Still some fishy bits, I guess, is what I'm saying. Parts that don't add up.

I suppose it could be as simple as: he really didn't want to see it hurt Hillary's chances, above all else, and had little time to act - so he winged it the best he could (all terrible choices, BTW)..., or perhaps a mix of genuinely trying to do his job and to protect those sources if that parts true *and* preferring to not hurt Hillz, but it sure seems like he took some extraordinary and weird steps, and if true he seems pretty well fucked. It just seems like such odd behavior. Was it simply misplaced loyalty and desperation on his part?

Crazy either way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I'm still lost. His explanation doesn't make any sense; unless you think he just had some unwavering devotion to Hil' - which I do not.

Say it out loud to see what I mean. "Comey intentionally tanked the investigation to keep the Russians from claiming Lynch was going to tank the investigation." See? Ridiculous.

Why? What did he stand to gain? Who profits?

It was completely self-serving. Like all of the political establishment, Comey believed that Hillary would win. He wanted to remain FBI Director.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
This is madness! So much for credibility of Comey, and anyone supporting him or against Trump for firing him.

What a dog and pony show.

Also, hello from Iceland! Most expensive bachelor party I'll ever be part of.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand. Can someone boil this down for a simpleton?

Russia puts out false information. I get that. We as well as every other government do it to bend things in our/their favor. Our closet allies spy on us we do the same to them. Clinton seemingly would be better for them. Part of the old established establishment. She scratches their back vice-versa. Trump is a wildcard, they wouldn't know what to expect except America First. Why would they be pro-Trump?

Comey has info proving that they did want to interfere in our election process to undermine Clinton. Yet instead of saying ah ha, I have the smoking gun, the Russians favor Trump, he then sinks the Hillary investigation instead. To what end? Why?

The only thing I can possibly come up with was a personal agenda to keep her viable as a candidate. It in no way would have harmed the FBI or our intelligence services for him to come out and say they were fed false information and the skilled FBI analyzed it and proves it to be a plant or false.

Please break it down for me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I can possibly come up with was a personal agenda to keep her viable as a candidate.

No it's not that he wanted her to win. Maybe he did. Who knows? Doesn't matter. It's more so that he thought she Would win and he wanted to remain viable personally as director.

Bigboreshooter is right.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Russia puts out false information. I get that. We as well as every other government do it to bend things in our/their favor. Our closet allies spy on us we do the same to them. Clinton seemingly would be better for them. Part of the old established establishment. She scratches their back vice-versa. Trump is a wildcard, they wouldn't know what to expect except America First. Why would they be pro-Trump?

Comey has info proving that they did want to interfere in our election process to undermine Clinton. Yet instead of saying ah ha, I have the smoking gun, the Russians favor Trump, he then sinks the Hillary investigation instead. To what end? Why?

The only thing I can possibly come up with was a personal agenda to keep her viable as a candidate. It in no way would have harmed the FBI or our intelligence services for him to come out and say they were fed false information and the skilled FBI analyzed it and proves it to be a plant or false.

The story says that Comey knew the e-mails about Lynch were bogus, but feared that if said e-mails were to become public, the truth to establish their falsity would compromise some sources of the investigation. His fears were exacerbated by disclosure of Clinton's meeting with Lynch in Phoenix, so he decide to go public, announced his conclusions on July 5.

What a tangled web we weave.....

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I was just about to post when I saw JALLEN talked about the same topic.

But think this through. From the CNN story:

"Sources close to Comey tell CNN he felt that it didn't matter if the information was accurate, because his big fear was that if the Russians released the information publicly, there would be no way for law enforcement and intelligence officials to discredit it without burning intelligence sources and methods"

Why not ? That statement is nonsense.

Just because the Russians might say something then it would be accepted, unless we used super classified techniques to dispute it ?

What proof would there be that any such DWS email was legitimate ?

Remember - of the tens of thousands of Wikileaks emails released, not a single one was ever found to be doctored from the original. There were email experts examining the Wikileaks emails that the DEMs claimed were altered, but in each case the emails were found to be the same as the original emails.

I think the people making this crap up have wrapped themselves into a tangled knot.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

The story says that Comey knew the e-mails about Lynch were bogus, but feared that if said e-mails were to become public, the truth to establish their falsity would compromise some sources of the investigation. His fears were exacerbated by disclosure of Clinton's meeting with Lynch in Phoenix, so he decide to go public, announced his conclusions on July 5.

What a tangled web we weave.....

So why would we need to disclose how we discerned it a fake. Just say they had 17 intelligence agencies review it, and it was proven to be fake.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else think a brief case with 5 million in untraceable bills found its way to Comey's doorstep during the Clinton investigation?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What proof would there be that any such DWS email was legitimate ?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5170007424/p/1

quote:
A federal employee with knowledge of the situation and who requested anonymity told The Daily News Foundation’s Investigative Group that as House authorities closed in on Imran Awan and his brothers, a laptop used by Imran was hidden in an unused crevice of the Rayburn House Office Building. Wasserman Schultz’s office is in Longworth House Office Building, a separate structure.

The laptop was later found by Capitol Police and seized because it was relevant to the criminal investigation, the source said.

The investigation is examining members’ data leaving the network and how Awan managed to get Members to place three relatives and a friend into largely no-show positions on their payrolls, billing $4 million since 2010.

The congresswoman characterizes the evidence as “belonging” to her and argues that therefore it cannot be seized unless Capitol Police tell her that she personally, as opposed to her staffer, is a target of the investigation.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Like I said. Deeper than it looks.

Throwing away Comey is nothing - he's damaged anyway - and no longer in power. So he ruins his credibility and his chance to testify (for an investigation that hasn't found anything in months, and he surely knows is bogus). So what? He's a non factor.

I think this is the donuts and bagels to keep us away from the bacon and eggs. Maybe not, maybe I'm over thinking it, but this certainly looks shady as hell. We're supposed to believe that the entire DNC was complicit in burning down Bernie, that Hillary had multiple classified docs on her computer, that Podesta had thousands of shitty e-mails, that Carlos and Huma had an insurance policy of e-mails on their laptop; but this one e-mail was Russians.

All the others, they were legit, and we're real sorry, but this time it was Russia. Yeah, not buying it.

So they come out with this on a holiday weekend, and burn a (now)worthless asset in Comey, and give CNN the lead on it. Why? You know damn well if Fox or Drudge had it they would have run with it.

Unless of course you wanted a friendly outlet where you can control the narrative.

This stinks to high heaven, and although I agree Comey would have sold his children to save his seat of power - I think there's more to it.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
The only thing I can possibly come up with was a personal agenda to keep her viable as a candidate.

No it's not that he wanted her to win. Maybe he did. Who knows? Doesn't matter. It's more so that he thought she Would win and he wanted to remain viable personally as director.

Bigboreshooter is right.

I'm surprised you think that. Please expound, if you don't mind.

Because it seems pretty crazy that he'd risk his entire career, reputation, perhaps even jail, all for an outside chance to work for a woman who has said as recently as a this May that she thinks he's half of why she lost (as have many others), when, up until his strange actions and statements regarding her Emails, the worst Hillary could have done is fire him / ask him to resign? (excepting, of course, conspiracy nonsense like she had something on him or whatever)

The same guy who has, in between his government jobs just from 2005-2013, been general counsel and a Senior VP for Lockheed, general counsel for Bridgewater, and other well paid and fairly prestigious jobs offered to folks like himself that surely pay better and offer more longevity than being the FBI Director for 4 or so more years?

The same guy who was involved in the Whitewater case, the investigation into Bill's pardon of Marc Rich whose wife was a Clinton donor, Hillary's Emails, Wiener's Sexting and Huma's Laptop, and who was a life long Republican until very recently, a lawyer since 1985, having served under Reagan and both Bushes (as well as Clinton and Obama)?

I just don't see anything (thus far) that supports the notion that he had any real reason to believe Hillary would even entertain the thought of keeping him on, much less enough to motivate him to take such unprecedented actions that weren't even big-time enough to guarantee her a win or him being owed a favor - a true long shot it seems, that not only didn't help her but probably tanked her, all to maybe keep his job under her if she won, only to be ultimately fired by Trump anyway?

And prior to this mess he had been outspoken about his belief that Russia was our greatest threat, and that the DOJ is too political and ought not be, and who had otherwise seemed to have had a long and solid career both in government and in the private sector? It sure seems rash and crazy and out of character for someone who worked and successfully played the game as long as he had until Trump fired him.

Or, and hey - maybe it's true, am I missing something?

Genuinely curious...

Granted, I don't have an alternate theory. But this one smells funny, to me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why would we need to disclose how we discerned it a fake. Just say they had 17 intelligence agencies review it, and it was proven to be fake.

Comey's saying that he guessed that the Russians would guess that we could not have known the emails were nonsense unless we heard it from certain specific sources.

So. Now the information is out there and the information that Comey has sources the Russians might want to shut down is out there. We're still going to have to wait until the sources in question get shot, jailed, swapped, disabled or whatever before there's any chance that Comey can confirm that they were the sources in question - IOW, that the sources he claims he was trying to protect ever actually existed.

It's a neat little black box, ain't it?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm still not seeing this reported anywhere. It's nowhere on the websites. It seems you really have to dig for it to find it. What I do see though everywhere is some stupid story about Kushner and the Russians.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This really is crazy, it's a lot to try and get your head around it. But as I'm reading this thread one quote keeps popping in my head.....

"You want me to think you don't want me to go down there, but the simple truth is you really don't want me to go down there"

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Maybe I'm not seeing it. Why not just out the Russians and prove meddling before the election? How would doing so then burn assets but now somehow doesn't?

As I understand it based on reading the entire thread here, the reason it burns no assets now is that Comey doesn't actually have to PROVE anything to anyone. He can just say that's how it was, and so it was. Almost like "what difference does it make at this point, anyway?"

If this had come to light prior to the election, and he declared it false, the thought is that someone, somewhere (hopefully the American people) would have demanded proof that it was misinformation, causing him to cite his sources, because "confidential classified sources said so" wouldn't cut it.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
To quote/paraphrase someone: What difference at this time does it make?

Do you think this will follow that theme?

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Comey stating that he lied to protect Hillary is just a corner piece of the puzzle. We can all read between the lines and see that DWS wants the laptop (with the evidence to burn her ass and those of the entire DNC) back. Comey is trying to deflect here by stating that the e-mail was faked by Russians *yeah right* and that he just lied to us in an effort to keep the gears of the Electoral Process turning. Also, as some of you have stated, it will undoubtedly allow Comey to say that this is evidence of the Russians trying to influence our election. Get your hip waders fellas, shit is getting deep in this story!

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's why their "tangled web" is crumbling so quickly: It is too easy to cut right through ALL of it:

Whether Comey was "duped" or not...
Whether the Russian information was true or not...
Whether it would be leaked or not...
Whether the American people would believe it or not...
Whether Lynch, Clinton, Russians, or Martians were involved or not..

WHY WOULD AN FBI DIRECTOR FEEL IT IS HIS PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO "PROTECT" US AGAINST THE LEAK OF SOME QUESTIONABLE INFORMATION ?

We are bombarded by questionable information from lots of sources every day! Does the FBI protect us from all this ?

NO....that is an INVALID EXCUSE.

There is only one credible reason: To help Hillary's campaign.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'm still not seeing this reported anywhere.

Small footprint on front page
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/...elligence/index.html

I am sure they will let it slip down quickly, and they can still claim "We covered it."

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post