SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rush Limbaugh- Lung Cancer
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rush Limbaugh- Lung Cancer Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...s-time-slot-n2587741

Salem Radio's Charlie Kirk announced on Friday that he'll be taking the late Rush Limbaugh's time slot, whom Kirk calls "my friend and American hero." Kirk's new time, of 12-1pm will begin right away, tomorrow, April 12. Viewers can listen in on Salem Radio Network’s 77WABC and 107.1 FM WLIR.

A statement from Kirk is included who shared "I am thrilled and honored to take the same time and station where my friend and American hero Rush Limbaugh launched his national radio show in 1988." He also noted "I am so impressed with what John Catsimatidis has done since he bought this great station, and will commit to doing my part to keep this as one of the top talk stations in America."

Kirk: What an honor to join @77WABCRadio , New York—the flagship station of the Great Rush Limbaugh.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Rush's brother David says goodbye

https://townhall.com/columnist...er--for-now-n2587628

Losing Rush has been tough. Until a few very long weeks ago, he was always in my life. Like other siblings growing up in the same home, we shared experiences that were exclusive to us. Our parents instilled in us -- and we thoroughly absorbed -- their Christian values: their love of God; their unconditional love for each other and for us; their belief in moral absolutes, of truth, of right and wrong; the paramount importance of family; the critical necessity of personal character and integrity; the value of human life; and the uncompromising duty to treat others with respect and compassion. No one perfectly succeeds in living out these godly values, but our parents equipped us, lovingly disciplined us and guided us.

Though Rush is now known to the world as a consummate talker, what is not widely known is that he didn't start that way. He was first a listener -- an information sponge, quietly inhaling knowledge at the feet of our dad.

Rush was initially unassuming, respectful and focused, as if dedicating the first part of his life to acquiring the building blocks that would later serve him and the millions he was to touch when he would grow to full intellectual and professional maturity.

From an early age, Rush was an avid reader, and he devoured the set of children's classics our dad provided and encouraged us to read, accumulating a knowledge of life, human trials and tribulations, and the way the world works.

Like our World War II fighter pilot dad, Rush loved aviation, even as a young kid. I lament that our dad didn't live to fly on the various jets Rush purchased by using the very knowledge and skills he acquired from him and our mom.

We loved baseball, and Rush was good at it. He had home-run power and became a good pitcher, not through an abundance of natural talent but by teaching himself how to throw curve balls, sliders and even knuckleballs, which he tried to teach me.

Almost everyone in our hometown of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, was a St. Louis Cardinals fan. But in a foreshadowing of his mischievous independence, Rush was a superfan of the Los Angeles Dodgers and in particular their shortstop, base-stealing phenom Maury Wills. Rush was obsessed with Wills' base-stealing acumen and wanted to emulate it. He was intrigued that Wills could reach full speed on his second step down the baseline, and Rush diligently worked on developing that for himself. We didn't go on many vacations as kids, but we went to a lot of baseball games in St. Louis and almost always when the Dodgers were in St. Louis for a series. Rush was so enamored with Wills that he wrote him a letter requesting an autographed picture, which I remembered when I serendipitously found the picture in my house during this last, very difficult year.

Rush practiced his skills as a broadcaster while turning down the volume on the television as we watched baseball games so he could call the games himself. Later, our parents gave him a Remco Caravelle, a toy that enabled him to broadcast on the actual radio airwaves within our home. Our mom and I logged many hours listening to his first days as a disc jockey and sports announcer.

Let's now fast-forward to his time in his adopted hometown of Sacramento, California, in the late '80s. He mainly loved that city because it was where he came into his own as a broadcast professional after so many fits and starts, simply because he found a program director with the wisdom and courage to let Rush be Rush.

I was struck by how much he brought our parents to life in the practice of his art -- exhibiting their qualities, talents and values. Rush was blessed with the best of both. He was Rush and Millie writ large.

Our mother was a comic, a singer, a natural ham and an entertainer; our dad was unusually brilliant, the small college national debate champion, a lawyer's lawyer and the guy who would hold court in our living room to the fascination of our friends. But he never had the national platform that Rush would carve out for himself. Rush did our parents proud in a way that is indescribably gratifying to me.

As few others do, Rush lived life his way, and the world is immensely better because of his contributions. He was the tip of the spear from day one and took tidal waves of abuse from hateful leftists who devoted their lives to destroying him -- and they failed. Rush was responsible not for the development of modern conservatism but for its explosion into the mainstream of American life. He paved the path for so many other great conservatives. The nation -- and all of us -- owe him deeply for this. He single-handedly resurrected AM talk radio.

Rush particularly inspired me to be the best I could be in both my law practice and my writing career. He entrusted me to handle his entertainment contracts and encouraged me to write columns and books. He pushed me to excel in both professions.

Rush was loving and unfailingly generous -- the best brother, the best brother-in-law, the best uncle and the best cousin we could have had. In the weeks following his death, I have felt a deep and profound loss. We were in constant communication, supporting each other to the end. Every day since he died, I steadily find myself wanting to share something with him and instantly realize I can't and will not be able to again until we meet in heaven. That hurts.

But I thank God for Rush's faith in Jesus Christ and for receiving him into a much better place, one with no more death, mourning, crying or pain.

One of the last things I said to Rush when he was still conscious and able to interact was, "I love you." He looked at me and replied: "I love you, too. Big time."

Goodbye, big brother. Thank you for being you and for being there for me all your life. I am so, so grateful for you -- and may God bless you forever and hold you in His loving arms.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

...Kirk's new time, of 12-1pm will begin right away, tomorrow, April 12....

He's only doing the first hour???

I went to the link, it says 12-1.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Bet it's a typo as CK is doing 12-3 now. Only 27 years of age so maybe he will appeal to young people. I'm going to listen for the first time since Rush passed and I wish Charlie Kirk nothing but the best.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
One is one of my all time heroes. I felt like he was my friend/family. I can never repay all I learned from him. RIP my friend. I'll see you in our Lords heaven.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Doublesharp, thank you for sharing the article written by David. Quite an article and I thank you for sharing it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Bet it's a typo as CK is doing 12-3 now. Only 27 years of age so maybe he will appeal to young people. I'm going to listen for the first time since Rush passed and I wish Charlie Kirk nothing but the best.

Here on my radio Jason Lewis is "guest hosting" and playing Rush clips.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Here on my radio Jason Lewis is "guest hosting" and playing Rush clips.

Same here, EIB is on the same time and same stations as always.

I'm thinking the other guy is wrapping himself in some of Rush's trappings (a time slot that competes/overlaps with Rush's, and getting one of the EIB radio stations) to make it look like he's the heir apparent.

I know nothing about CK - if he's good I hope he prospers, too - but I am hoping EIB will stabilize and grow. If it looks weak, then I'd expect more overlapping programs from other opportunists, and splintering may be what happens to the EIB audience.

Maybe that's inevitable.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Jason Lewis going National would be great. I used to listen to his local show on KSTP. There are very few who are more prepared on the discussion of current events or the Constitution than Jason Lewis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Totally concur about Jason Lewis.

Of all the guest hosts he has risen to the top of my preferred list with Mark Steyn bringing up a distant second. Some of the also rans are too much like cheese graters to me. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's no longer a priority, but I often listen to the start of the program. Once they play a Rush tape, I shut it off.

I've noticed the hosts are now calling themselves "guide host." I don't care what they're called, I'm tired of hearing Rush wisdom. I know he was brilliant, but it's time to move on from that.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You aren't the only one. I hope EIB figures it out soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
It's no longer a priority, but I often listen to the start of the program. Once they play a Rush tape, I shut it off.

I've noticed the hosts are now calling themselves "guide host." I don't care what they're called, I'm tired of hearing Rush wisdom. I know he was brilliant, but it's time to move on from that.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
While I'm certainly not privy to any contractual details... my guess is that the contract between KMOX (local station) and Rush's show expires as of the end of April.

KMOX will be going with local programming beginning May 3, the first Monday in May:

A two-month search, which began at KMOX Radio when Rush Limbaugh died, has ended — right inside the station's studios.

Starting May 3, Limbaugh's time slot will be filled by KMOX (1120 AM) staffers Carol Daniel, Ryan Wrecker and Bo Matthews.

The new show, "St. Louis Talks," will air weekdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

"Now is the time to expand our local content," said Becky Domyan, general manager of KMOX and five other local stations owned by Audacy, formerly Entercom Communications.

Domyan said the show's local origin will allow KMOX "to report and react on local, regional and national topics that affect our community."

https://www.stltoday.com/news/...66-678e4f60113c.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
‘Rush Limbaugh Day’ Removed from Missouri Senate Bill

Missouri Senate lawmakers dropped language from legislation that would have created “Rush Limbaugh Day” in the late conservative radio talk show legend’s home state, according to a report.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports:

The day was to be celebrated on Jan. 12 each year — Limbaugh’s birthday. Democrats, frequently targets of Limbaugh’s commentary, strongly opposed honoring the Cape Girardeau native, citing what they said was his long record of racist, misogynistic and homophobic comments. […] House Republicans approved “Rush Limbaugh Day” this month immediately after rejecting “Walter Cronkite Day,” for the St. Joseph-born journalist who hosted the “CBS Evening News.” ...

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Clay Travis and Buck Sexton are going to be the replacements for the Rush Limbaugh Show.

Rush Limbaugh’s Radio Show to Be Taken Over by Clay Travis and Buck Sexton

Duo’s show to begin airing in the coveted weekday time slot on June 21 in hundreds of markets

The Rush Limbaugh replacements are in, as Clay Travis and Buck Sexton will take over his three-hour conservative talk radio show time slot, said distributor Premiere Networks.

The duo will serve up similar right-wing fare, tackling news stories of the day, politics and current events, peppered with call-ins from listeners and humor. Premiere Networks hopes the younger voices will bring something new to talk radio, while also continuing on in Mr. Limbaugh’s legacy. The program, slated to begin airing June 21, will be called “The Clay Travis & Buck Sexton Show.” It is expected to air around the country, from noon to 3 p.m. ET, on hundreds of stations.

“We’re not going to replace Rush Limbaugh, we’re going to have an evolution of the show with fresh voices—those that grew up on Rush and admired him,” said Julie Talbott, president of iHeartMedia Inc.’s IHRT 1.07% Premiere Networks.

Since the 70-year-old conservative talk-radio icon and pioneer of right-wing media died from complications from lung cancer in February, the industry has been looking to fill his massive void. Mr. Limbaugh’s show, marked by his signature brash and acerbic conservatism, ran for more than three decades and was the most listened to in the U.S., according to Nielsen Audio, reaching more than 20 million monthly listeners on more than 650 affiliates as of the end of 2020.

Premiere Networks has continued to syndicate “The Rush Limbaugh Show” using archived segments on topics relevant to the day’s news, with guest hosts filling in between clips. The program was attracting about 75% to 80% of its regular audience, according to a person familiar with the matter.

“Rush’s connection with his audience is one of the primary legacies of his show,” Mr. Travis said. “I also think Buck and I have the unique ability to offer a perspective that many people in their 20s and 30s are desperate to hear.”

Mr. Travis, 42 years old, is a sports journalist, lawyer, TV analyst and founder of sports website Outkick.com. Since 2016 he’s hosted “Outkick the Coverage With Clay Travis” on Fox Sports Radio, syndicated to more than 350 affiliates nationwide on weekday mornings. (Mr. Travis has agreed to sell Outkick to Fox Corp.) He will continue to co-host FS1’s daily gambling TV show “Fox Bet Live,” in addition to his podcasts “Outkick The Show” and “Wins & Losses With Clay Travis.”

A self-proclaimed political moderate and independent, Mr. Travis last year announced he would be voting for former President Donald Trump, saying it would be the first time he would vote for a Republican for president. He has written several books, most recently 2018’s “Republicans Buy Sneakers, Too: How the Left Is Ruining Sports With Politics.”

Mr. Sexton, 39, is a radio host and political commentator who has served as an officer with the Central Intelligence Agency and a New York Police Department counterterrorism expert. His three-hour weekday evening talk show, “The Buck Sexton Show”—formerly “America Now”—is syndicated to over 180 stations by Premiere, and he has served as a guest host for Mr. Limbaugh’s show. Mr. Sexton is a regular on Fox News as a national security analyst, and was previously national security editor for The Blaze.

Mr. Sexton pointed to their different backgrounds and younger ages as a boon for the show.

“The most dominant talk radio hosts have been from one generation; Clay and I represent the next phase. We’re going to bring the perspective of two guys who see a country they’re deeply worried about, and a massive audience that needs people who will speak for them,” he said.

“Some of our movie references and pop culture sensibility will shift a little,” he added.

Premiere, which will shop the new program to affiliate stations, expects it to be broadcast on hundreds of stations when it launches. It will also be available as a podcast on iHeartRadio and broadly.

As a staple for AM radio for so many decades, Mr. Limbaugh kept alive a part of the radio waves that had otherwise begun to fade as listeners began to move to the internet and satellite radio for their talk shows, podcasts and other on-demand audio entertainment. He held the unique position of capturing people not just on their commutes or on prime time at home but he also provided the soundtrack to a large chunk of their workday.

In March, Cumulus Media Inc.’s Westwood One announced conservative radio host and popular podcaster Dan Bongino would fill Mr. Limbaugh’s airtime on its chunk of stations across the U.S. in markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. “The Dan Bongino Show” launched Monday on 122 radio affiliates, with Mr. Trump as his first guest.

Some individual markets have chosen local hosts to take over the airwaves. Erick Erickson, an Evangelical right-leaning commentator, has taken over Mr. Limbaugh’s slot on Atlanta’s WSB; Mark Kaye, a radio host and popular Snapchat personality, has taken the time on Jacksonville, Fla.’s WOKV; and radio and podcast host Derek Hunter has taken over the slot on Baltimore’s WCBM.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some individual markets have chosen local hosts to take over the airwaves.

Yep. That's what happened in St. Louis.
Between that and Dan Bongino competing, the Rush audience is fractured to pieces.

I wish Clay Travis and Buck Sexton well but I won't be listening. I was a Rush regular, but I am enjoying more quiet time now. I don't listen to "St. Louis Talks," the new local programming.

I am glad they are calling it “The Clay Travis & Buck Sexton Show.”
“The Rush Limbaugh Show” is over.

-rduckwor

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think Rush's passing has marked the end of an era that probably would have come 20+ years earlier had he not been around.

I've not listed to hardly any conservative talk radio since his death; local or syndicated and don't really miss it to be honest.

This is coming from a 20+ year avid listener.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'd welcome a strong conservative radio personality. I listen to Levin's podcast replay late in the evening but he doesn't tick enough boxes. He's not good on social/cultural issues.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was telling my wife once again yesterday how I miss Rush.
I may tune in to Clay and Buck when I’m working in the shop or on the road, but when listening to Rush I always knew I couldn’t really go wrong following his lead.
One of a kind.
Thanks for posting his brother David’s column, that was touching.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
He's not good on social/cultural issues.

How is one "good" on social/cultural issues? Confused

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post