SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From the "You're never too old to learn" file ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the "You're never too old to learn" file ... Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
Within a dedicated small-tools drawer in the kitchen are two vegetable peelers and a knife. Two of the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peelers and a 6" Wüsthof chefs knife. Everything needed to clean a carrot.

One of the peelers is dull and the other newer but since they look identical, even after six and twelve years, you cannot tell them apart use. It's always 50/50, although I seem to notice the dull one more often.

Today, in a stroke of genius, I tried using the dull one left-handed. It works like it is brand new.

Who would have known!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
You can sharpen them. Just saying.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Or throw the dull one away. Theses aren't high dollar items and don't last forever.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Theses aren't high dollar items and don't last forever.

that ain't what granny told me

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
You can sharpen them. Just saying.

Looking at the sharpened surface, I'm adding another file to the folder. The peeler can indeed be sharpened. At ten bucks each, I'm gonna try. As soon as the left side fails. It'll make a nice retirement project. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Or throw the dull one away. Theses aren't high dollar items and don't last forever.

Or just give up carrots.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my drawers in the garage tool chest is full of screwdrivers. If I need a standard one, the first five or six I pull out are are phillips head and vice versa. It's an acquired skill.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^Stop putting all your screw drivers in the same drawer. Flat heads in the drawer with the SAE wrenchs, Phillips head in the metric wrench drawer, Reed & Prince in with the SAE sockets and Pozi in with the metric sockets.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Works OK til you get the 5' wide box with the single full width drawer to house all your sockets, ratchets and extensions.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you peel from the bottom, you don't have to do it left handed.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post