SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dear Diary....
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear Diary.... Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I just got my first bill from the hospital.

85,000 dollars

That's not a typo

Shite

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, and that's just from the hospital. The wife tells me we can expect two more bills- one from the MD and one from the anesthesiologist. She should know. She used to be an insurance coordinator.

Sounds like we'll hit that 100K after all, and probably surpass it with ease.

When I showed her my 85K bill, she didn't say anything, but she raised an eyebrow. Hey, hey, calm down now. No need to get rowdy...

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got my first bill from the hospital.

Ouch. And the bills will continue to pour in.

I had a *minor* cardiac event last Fall. I was prepared for the sticker shock from the hospital, but what really pissed me off was the bills from every doctor, lab, etc. who had the most tenuous contact with me.

I got a bill from one doctor who stuck her head in my room while doing her rounds and asked how I was feeling. She did not even pass the threshold, much less examine me; we could not have spoken for more than a minute. But, she billed me for $750. Mad

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I got a bill from one doctor who stuck her head in my room while doing her rounds and asked how I was feeling. She did not even pass the threshold, much less examine me; we could not have spoken for more than a minute. But, she billed me for $750. Mad
More than once, I have been called an asshole. If this happened to me, I would definitely pursue this with my insurance carrier's fraud department, and with every regulatory agency that I could think of. I would find that doctor's office and confront her. I would be on this like a rabid pit bull and I would not stop until the bill was voided and I received a written apology and a written commitment stating that the doctor in question would not do this in the future. I would seek an injunction from a court. Am I conveying how angry I would be over a situation like this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Am I conveying how angry I would be over a situation like this?

You and me both. After I saw that bill, I was so pissed that my dear wife stepped in and took over. She was afraid another bill would finish what the cardic event started and would not let me see any other bills or deal with doctor's offices or the insurance company.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and that's just from the hospital. The wife tells me we can expect two more bills- one from the MD and one from the anesthesiologist. She should know. She used to be an insurance coordinator.

Sounds like we'll hit that 100K after all, and probably surpass it with ease.

When I showed her my 85K bill, she didn't say anything, but she raised an eyebrow. Hey, hey, calm down now. No need to get rowdy...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's probably more than 2 more bills. If you went to the ER first then likely everybody you saw in the ER was a "contractor" (i.e. separate bill). If the ER or hospital did any blood work then likely separate bill. If the ER or hospital did any imaging then likely separate bill.

Even when choosing an in-network hospital for your insurance there is no guarantee all of these "contractors" are in-network. For me, that meant:
  • my insurance paid 80% in network and 60% out of network
  • my insurance has 2 out of pocket maximums. Out of network's is 3x the in network's.

I'm using air quotes intentionally because every one of these "contractors" likely had the hospital's logo on their white lab coat and their ID badge. I bet none of them even had a contractor badge or white lab coat identified the company who will bill you. I'm in oil & gas not medicine, but our attorneys make Contractor's doing work for us to identify themselves either using their contractor's name and or "Contractor for [insert my employer's name here]." Also, their security badge is a Contractor's badge. Perhaps the Sigforum Bar Assoc can tell us why it's not fraud that hospitals fail to identify Contractors and SubContractors to their clients?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One day at a time
    Picture of RANGER20
    posted Hide Post
    Sobering Read... Glad you made it Para... this thread will help out more than a few who read it.
    Prayers out for your continued health and for the financial side of the equation for you and family.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RANGER20,

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HighZonie
    posted Hide Post
    Ah, yes. The Grim Reaper. I have faced him at least 5 times, and it never gets easier. I thought he would win for sure on 3 of those occasions.

I can identify with your story Para- and very well written I might add.

I am happy you have prevailed. Godspeed in your recovery.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
    "Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
    - Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HighZonie
    posted Hide Post
    Also Para,

Just wondering.....

I must admit, you have me in suspenders here.

Your thread related to your need for an antique suit of armor and a codpiece..... is this apparatus something prescribed for therapeutic treatment?

None of my business, but I'm just sayin'...

Perhaps you should check that $80,000 doctor's credentials again.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
    "Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
    - Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    A positive update. I saw my cardiologist this afternoon. I'm on five different medications and I'll need to continue them indefinitely, but today, my BP was 122/70. No chest pains for the last month. The doc said if I had chest pains when I cut my yard, that would likely be ischemia, which would indicate restricted blood flow back to the heart. Well, I've cut my yard five times since getting out of the hospital and now I have no pain when doing so, not even a twinge.
    I've got a regular heartbeat for the first time since I can't remember when and I feel pretty damn good. So, released for six months. In half a year, I'll get bloodwork and he'll check my cholesterol, which was above 160 when I was admitted to the hospital and should be about 70.

As it stands, they've managed to fix me, although I realize at my age, a slow decline is the way it shall be. For now, though, I ain't dyin' just yet.

Now to find out if the insurance company will pay. They keep saying I'm "active" but not insured, and the wife- who knows this stuff inside and out- says that doesn't make a bit of sense. We'll see. Maybe they like being sued, or maybe they just don't give a shit one way or the other. It's all fun and games to these snakes.

That aside, I'm doing well.

Oh, and I'm not sure why- maybe the doctor's office got tired of paying to hand out free masks to people like me who walk in without one, but, today for the first time since I've been visiting that office, they didn't offer me a mask. All the good, well-behaved sheeple in the waiting room had on masks, but I did not. It felt good, felt liberating. No stares, no words under their breath. It seems I can be a scary guy at times, so people leave me alone. I'm not joking. That really is the way it seems. It's my face, I suppose, or, more likely the look I wear on it. I'm not complaining. Smile

Maybe I'll take a walk through WalMart or the grocery store without a mask. You know, just browsing.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OttoSig
    posted Hide Post
    All very good news, glad to hear things are going in the right direction.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Good to hear. Para 5 \ Lawn 0.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Music's over turn
    out the lights
    Picture of David W
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    A positive update.

That's awesome news Para!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Comic Relief
    Picture of Eponym
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Maybe I'll take a walk through WalMart or the grocery store without a mask. You know, just browsing.
    Will you be carrying? Smile

Good news! Thanks for the update.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    Sounds like you're well on your way to excellent health.

I don't particularly like wearing a mask, but the two places I'm compelled to wear one is the doctors office and WalMart. When I sit in the waiting room at the Dr office and look at the others waiting their I always wonder what horrible diseases these people are spewing into the air. And WalMart speaks for itself. A full hazmat suit wouldn't be overkill at WalMart. But hey, sometimes you've just got to live on the wild side.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of just1tym
    posted Hide Post
    Terrific update Mike! I'm just coming up on 2yrs out from my stent/valve and doing well also. I'm still not fond of the heart meds but take them out of Dr's recommendations. I do get a lot of bruising and will bleed easily if I get a small nick.

I'd give anything to be able to do the simple stuff like you cutting the lawn and small landscaping tasks but the stroke in 07' has forever changed that, I was reluctant but gave away all my lawn stuff to a guy who needed it more than I did.

Heal well and continued prayer for you and your's post recovery.

Also, just to add, I've been on a Medicare Advantage plan for a few years now and from that heart and hospital visit, so far being 2yrs post, all I ever had to pay was the hospital transport charge of $145. I've always expected to receive a much larger payout but it never happened, praise God!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    You don’t fix faith,
    River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
    posted Hide Post
    That's great news! The tribe celebrates.

----------------------------------
    "If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    they've managed to fix me

by Para

Big Grin

so no second opinion ?
    Big Grin

that's great news

I am sure that I speak for more than a few of us,
    Let us know if financial assistance will be required.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ersatzknarf
    posted Hide Post
    Very good news!

Please, "keep on truckin'"

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I'm very glad to hear this update. I was given a pacemaker earlier this year and take several medications, too. I wasn't as seriously affected as you, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post