SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dear Diary....
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear Diary.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am doing cardiac rehab now. That is where you will get the --necessary-- 'talk' from a dietician. Saturated fats, sodium, calories and reading labels. Insurance should cover it, and it helps you develop a regular exercise routine. No reason not to do it, other than your natural curmudgeon tendencies.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 234 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:
I am doing cardiac rehab now. That is where you will get the --necessary-- 'talk' from a dietician. Saturated fats, sodium, calories and reading labels. Insurance should cover it, and it helps you develop a regular exercise routine. No reason not to do it, other than your natural curmudgeon tendencies.
The bolded part alone is enough to keep me from going. This is especially true since the person lecturing me will almost certainly be younger than I. I know what I need to do and I don't need a twenty-something child to tell me about it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107573 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Besides, it looks like rain again tomorrow around here, so I may not get the chance for a day or two.

The wife in me is yammering for me to tell you what I would say to my own husband....wear a cap, drink plenty of water, don't over-do. But you fellas know that stuff already. Smile Happy mowing! I hope you beat the rain.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It may not be "medically correct" in cardiology circles, but I've never been a huge fan of monitored cardiac rehab, except for patients with heart failure or serious arrhythmias who really need watching when taking their first steps after a major change in their health.
Getting a stent would not get you a referral to cardiac rehab in my book. Listen to your body, you'll be good.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there an implant to inhibit the stubborn ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Listen to your body, you'll be good.
Thanks, sjtill.
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is there an implant to inhibit the stubborn?
Well, if there were, I'd refuse to have one. Razz

The world needs people like me, bendable. Too many people fail to question accepted opinion. If more people did their own thinking the world would be a better place.

Two or three times over the years in this forum, I've mentioned that a close friend of mine calls me "the stubbornest man on the planet." Maybe now you guys can see why this is so.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting, I too am of similar mind about health care.

I’ll take heed not to let things go too far before seeking medical attention.

Reconsider the rehab, it works... that has been my experience in getting my mother to go after her cardiac episode.

Be the gerbil :^)

All the best
Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be the gerbil

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I once, as part of my work with a giant health care organization, collaborated with a well-known Stanford Med School professor who had concluded that in-person, monitored-exercise cardiac rehab was a huge and expensive effort with minimal evidence of benefit. As an alternative he developed and we tested and put in place in our organization a program that focused on cardiac risk factor reduction after a cardiac event.
My experience with that forms much of the basis of my skepticism of that kind of formal cardiac rehab for most patients, as I noted above.

There are patients who, as shown by exercise testing, have no symptoms while their heart is showing signs of lack of oxygen (ischemia).

Para is not one of those.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is there an implant to inhibit the stubborn?
Well, if there were, I'd refuse to have one. Razz

Smile As I read this, an old Peanuts strip flashed into my mind - one of my favorites circa 1966.

Stay tenacious! Smile

Glad you're on the mend and feeling well enough to do yardwork. Hope to hear more good news soon!

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just clicked on the thread for the first time. Wow. That would have definitely scared the shit out of me. Glad you are alright.

Approaching 50, I try to learn everything I can from those older than I. I'm in that gym 5 days a week and do eat a super healthy diet. I know my DNA is going to get me at some point so I'm just hedging my bets.

Glad you are alright.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I finished cutting my yard a few minutes ago. I completed the job without having to stop to rest, didn't go red blanket or nothin'. No chest pain, no shortness of breath.

As a matter of fact, I feel great.

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
great news.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Be the gerbil

^^^^^^^^^^
Good response. I had forgotten about that incident.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, please allow me to finally add my best wishes for continued good health.
I was on tenterhooks not being able to contribute - in fact, this thread was a big reason for me to re-join the forum.

Great outcome - and good job on that lawn!

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Clive. That's very kind of you to say. I'm glad to have you here. You may wish to start a separate thread in the Pistols section, telling members about yourself. I think they'll be interested.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Great news about the results of the lawn test!

Have been waiting to hear the results and so glad!!!

It stormed cats and dogs here, yesterday afternoon, causing one to keep wondering how you were doing.

Smile

Looking forward to hearing about Clive, too. Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well Para, for what it’s worth (not much as I am five years retired from full-time practice) you passed MY stress test.
Congratulations, Mike!

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:

I have been to cardiac rehab twice. The first time after my bypass, the second to try to help my breathing. I never had a "talk" by anyone about my diet.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I seem to be late to this party. (I just skimmed through all 19 pages to see if I'd posted.)

First, I'm very glad that you got treated and that things are going well.

Second, I can totally say I know what you went through. I had strange feelings in my upper chest some years ago, like breathing in very cold air. I called my best friend, who worked in a hospital. He simply said "Go to the hospital. Go NOW!" So I drove myself to the nearest hospital ER. They took tests and the blood work indicated I was in danger so I was admitted and scheduled for a triple bypass the next morning (a Sunday). It was the surgeon's day off, but he didn't want to wait for the next OR opening (Wednesday). It turned out to be a quadruple bypass, and the surgeon said it appeared as if I was trying to have an attack even while he was working, so it was close. A few days in ICU and a few more in normal room, then home. I've been good ever since. (Had a pacemaker installed last year because of A-Fib.)

Moral: strange feeling in chest? Go to ER!

Again, pleased it went well for you. We both dodged a bullet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post