SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dear Diary....
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear Diary.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Para. I can completely relate. What you went through and are going through I went through two years ago.

Just as you related, after the stents went in, I almost immediately felt way way better than I felt in years.

The medical team did caution me about depression. Apparently many people, and more typically men, get depressed after going through the experience.

If you are feeling down, know it is pretty normal thing to feel right now.

I was one of the lucky small percentage that went the other direction, I was ecstatic! I was alive and beat the reaper! At least for awhile longer.

It was a near death experience though and it just seemed like the right time to reflect on things and make decisions on how to spend the remainder of my life whatever that turns out to be.

It's a normal and perfectly understandable thing to do.

I ended up making some pretty big lifestyle and career changes after the event.

I don't regret any of them.

Hang in there and give yourself some downtime to reflect and heal.

Whatever you decide, best wishes to you.

I am new here but am enjoying the forum. Your health and happiness, and those two things are linked, is way more important than any of this.

Now is the time for you to be a selfish and prioritize your own health and happiness.

Regards

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Glad you got what you needed, and thanks for all the hard work, dedication and patience you've had here in the forum.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
The medical team did caution me about depression. Apparently many people, and more typically men, get depressed after going through the experience.
Depressed? It hadn't even occurred to me. I was depressed before I went to the hospital, when I felt like I was doing everything for the last time. Now? I feel fantastic, and not only that, my mind is noticeably quicker.

I'm ready once again to take on the world. I'll just say that Chuck Norris is a bit nervous right now.

MAKE READY MY TREBUCHET!!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thank you sjtill!!

And thanks for sharing Para.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Para,
Great news that you are feeling a lot better now!!!

Take care!!!

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
Depressed? It hadn't even occurred to me. I was depressed before I went to the hospital, when I felt like I was doing everything for the last time. Now? I feel fantastic, and not only that, my mind is noticeably quicker.

I'm ready once again to take on the world. I'll just say that Chuck Norris is a bit nervous right now.

Good for you Para! It's amazing how much better you feel when your blood is actually flowing. Who knew???

Just make whatever changes you need to make to not go back to the place you were before the procedure.

For me, that made it easier. I felt so good after as opposed to before that I wanted to do whatever I could to maintain that feeling.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad you are getting better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you’re feeling so much better! I hadn’t read this thread until you mentioned it in the ‘future of Sig Forum’ thread. Take care and we all hope you’re around for a long time to come!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Great outcome! Glad your feeling better.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got taken care of and are feeling better. You have my prayers and best wishes.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Para, Thank you for going in, and I am glad you are on the mend.

Sjtill thank you for setting the boss straight so he would go to the hospital.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and wishes.

Regarding sjtill, I am concerned that perhaps I may be turning him into another Appliance Brad. sjtill is retired now and enjoying his grandkids. I would hate for this thread to cause him to start getting email questions for medical advice, or for members to start posting threads in that vein (pun intended). If you have a relationship with sjtill, I've no doubt that he's willing to offer advice, but let's not turn this into "No good deed goes unpunished."

I think that the majority of members know this, but I need to leave no doubt about it.

Thanks again to all. I'm so grateful to still be here and continue my duties as Chief Curmudgeon of the forum.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is quite the story and a very powerful telling.

I think all those movies that you love has had you develop a wonderful way with words. Great prose there Para. Gonna write a book? Maybe you should consider it.

I'll join the chorus of well wishers and attaboys. Stay healthy and grow strong!

Perhaps your story will serve as a cautionary lesson to many here. We should all take care of our health. No one else will.

Kudos to sjtill and his power of persuasion.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin

Shall we ignite the projectile, Sire?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I’ve had Death come around many times, and for reasons I cannot explain, Death did not drag me into the netherworld, but my 2018 Clostridium difficile infection, weeks-long coma, and month in an ICU left me with memories that changed me.

The most important memory, was as best I can tell, while I was in the profound coma, so it might be a manufactured memory or a memory of a period where I was delusional, or a real event that I recall with crystal clarity.

Whatever it was, I found myself floating alone in a vast dark space. The space was so vast I couldn’t see the boundaries, but I knew the boundaries were there nonetheless. As I float, I become fearful because there is nothing I encounter, no sights, no sound, no tactile sensations. Once the fear cycle started, it ramped up and was well on its way to a full blown panic spiral, when, out of the nothingness, yet out of me too, came a voice not mine. It simply said “Know you are safe.”

“Know you are safe.”

I’ve struggled since to understand what happened and what it meant. Conversations with people who are deeply spiritual, monks, pastors, priests, pshrinks, and one shaman have left me dissatisfied with the answers. Finally, a friend whose spiritual views I like suggested that what happened was this: I stood on the dividing line between life and death, facing a singular choice, live or die. The message “Know you are safe” was my guardian angel (who has worked overtime my entire life) observing to me that whichever choice I made, I would be safe. That freed me to choose whichever course I wanted.

Apparently, I chose life. I’d like to believe I chose life not because it was preferable to death, death would have been far easier I think, but because I enjoy the pain of the struggle more. If this is Death, well at least we have SIGforum.

Once I was at the rehab and had access to my smartphone, I looked up Jocko Willink’s YT channel. I really like Jocko’s approach to life. So the short bit I watched was his take on the lesson of Sisyphus. I’ve linked to it below.

I am nowhere near that disciplined or tough, but I do what I can every day.

I am glad you told Death “Not Yet!” and you are doing well.

Please keep getting better.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm just now reading this and just wanted to say I'm very glad you went to the ER and got taken care of Para.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Very sobering read. I appreciate you sharing this, you never know who might have needed to hear this story and the lives it could impact. Kudos to sjtill as well for being the right combination of frank and forthright. Those decades of experience paid off!

Glad to hear that the effects of the procedure were so immediate and profound. I hope you continue to heal and stick around for the next several decades.

ETA: After hitting submit I saw the date and realized that today is 19 years since I registered this account - much of my adult life!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! You all took care of business in the 11th hour!
Glad you’re ok and keep up taking care of yourself now!
You’re one of the lucky ones.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post