SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I have a 6S Plus. No interest in the X - don't want (and certainly don't need) wireless charging or face recognition. Even if it was the same price as the 8, I don't like it and wonder how it would work in a case (which I have to have). I will wait for things to settle and then check prices on the 7 Plus or 8 Plus.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Facial recognition on corporate iphones:

Your password is expiring in 0 days. Please create a new facial expression password.

Your new facial password must contain a minimum of eight different facial expression characteristics in addition to the following required special facial characters:

1. Raised left eyebrow
2. Right eye closed
3. Jutting chin
4. Pouting lips

I'm sorry, showing teeth is not a valid characteristic. Please try again without invalid characters.

I'm sorry, you are using a facial expression you have used recently. Please try again using a facial password you have not used in the last year.

I'm sorry, One eye iris must be clearly visible. Try not squinting your left eye while your right eye is closed..

I'm sorry, you have used up all your attempts to change your facial password and your account has been locked for security purposes. Please contact the IS customer service department.

For future login security, please consider setting up facial login verification. Whenever an attempt to login to your phone is made, all you have to do is duplicate a facial expression that is texted to you.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I like to wait a few generations before upgrading my ibox but at the way their prices keep rising, I don't know. The new phone doesn't do anything radically different enough to justify such a price to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trapper and other iPhone "haters". Please guys? Let this thread be what I intended? If you want to bash it, then start an "I hate iPhone thread."

Sorry, I don't hate Apple or the iPhone. My wife has had an iPhone 4s, 6 Plus, and currently has a 7 Plus. We have 3 iPad Minis, 1 iPad Retina, and 1 iPad Air 2. I have three iPad Mini 4s ordered. The hyperbole surrounding the latest offerings from Apple is strong.

quote:
Do you feel validated now? Hope so.

Here's one thing a two year old iPhone can do that your LG V10 can't. Run the latest release of the OS. Let's see, Nougat was released in Aug 2016, and available on T-Mobile for the LGV10 in July 2017. Nice. OS10 was released on Sept 13, 2016, and was available on my iPhone 6 (and every other iPhone back to 5) on Sept 13, 2016. Perhaps you'll get some Oreo by next summer, but that's a long time to stand around with a glass of milk.

There's more to an ecosystem than just hardware.

Very true. You know what my two year old V10 does that my iPad minis and iPad Retina don't do? Run the OS it has well. I should never have upgraded iOS beyond 7 on those. They are basically unusable and have been for years. I didn't know better and trusted Apple.

These latest offerings don't live up to the hype. Had Apple introduced a phone that didn't break the first time I dropped it unless I put it in a hideous case, I'd be all over it. That would be a first. I don't drive a desk and durability is something I'd like to see some manufacturer address. Water and dust resistance is fine and all, but I've never had a problem keeping my phones out of the pool, washing machine, toilet, etc. I do drop them a few times a year.

They could have introduced a modular phone. Slide the processor/memory module into your choice of phone screen/battery, various iPad size screens/battery, or even a mini laptop screen/battery/keyboard. That would be something.

But no. The next best thing since the original iPhone has a faster processor, better screen, a 7 year old design, and me to features.

I don't hate iPhones or Apple, but I don't drink the Apple juice either.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's why it's apples and oranges when it comes to OS updates
Android has put many system level functionalities into Google app and Google Play services app as well as other Google apps and these are updated constantly.

Anyway, the 2 key lacking features of iPhone X are:

1) lack of band 71 support. This 600 MHz spectrum band will critical to T-Mobile customers shortly as T-Mobile (and to a smaller extent AT&T) is deploying it to cover rural areas, expanding the network footprint. T-Mobile will have a number of areas lit up on this band by the end of this year, with major areas coverage rolling into 2018 and completed by 2020, covering most of rural USA.

2) lack of 5G (4x4 MIMO carrier aggregation 1 Gbps speed). T-Mobile and AT&T are lighting this up in several large metros, such Austin downtown and others. This speed has already been demo'ed by T-Mobile and AT&T using Galaxy S8 phones.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My iPhone 5 is getting long in the tooth. I plan to get the iPhone X. Its biggest attraction for me is its relatively small dimensions with a relatively large (and very sharp) screen. Also, the OLED screen will present true color and full brightness even when viewed at an angle.

I won't miss the ancient headphone jack at all. The Lightning connector is just sweet.

Facial recognition to unlock is the way of the future. All high-end phones will use that method within two years.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 7+ that is not too old but have found that I really enjoyed the wireless charging with my old Samsung Note 5. I am going to get a Mophie battery pack that supports wireless and increases battery capacity. About $70 for an upgrade.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
[iOS vs. Android: *snip*, as per OP's request]

quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

1) lack of band 71 support. This 600 MHz spectrum band will critical to T-Mobile customers shortly as T-Mobile (and to a smaller extent AT&T) is deploying it to cover rural areas, expanding the network footprint.

They'll also be using it like they did Band 12: To fill in gaps in suburban and urban coverage.

That's a major screw-up an Apple's part, IMO. Even were I inclined to spend that kind of money on a mobile device (I'm not): That would make it a non-starter for me, no matter how good it was in every other respect.

A mobile device that does not mobile well isn't a very useful mobile device.

quote:
2) lack of 5G (4x4 MIMO carrier aggregation 1 Gbps speed). T-Mobile and AT&T are lighting this up in several large metros, such Austin downtown and others. This speed has already been demo'ed by T-Mobile and AT&T using Galaxy S8 phones.

Not as critical, but, still: A fairly major oversight for a very expensive flagship device.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
[iOS vs. Android: *snip*, as per OP's request]

quote:

1) lack of band 71 support. This 600 MHz spectrum band will critical to T-Mobile customers shortly as T-Mobile (and to a smaller extent AT&T) is deploying it to cover rural areas, expanding the network footprint.

They'll also be using it like they did Band 12: To fill in gaps in suburban and urban coverage.

That's a major screw-up an Apple's part, IMO. Even were I inclined to spend that kind of money on a mobile device (I'm not): That would make it a non-starter for me, no matter how good it was in every other respect.

A mobile device that does not mobile well isn't a very useful mobile device.

quote:

Not as critical, but, still: A fairly major oversight for a very expensive flagship device.

Depends on what your need is. I don't use my iPhone to download movies. Just browse web sites. For that, even my old iPhone 5 LTE modem is plenty fast.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not even considering the iPhones. I can't. Where we are, signal strength is weak even on Verizon and what matters - the only thing that matters - is getting a good enough signal.

I need a phone that actually rings at home and where I drive. Motorola's lead on that historically, due to a focus on antenna and signals, although with the sequence of new owners (Motorola->Google->Lenovo) I am wondering how true that will remain. All I can tell you is get reception on my Moto X Pure in places where my wife's and our neighbors' iPhones don't.

The problem is there is a perception that 'all phones are equal' on signal reception and the carriers and suppliers want people to believe that incorrect perception, so they don't put out specs on reception capabilities. Since they don't put out specs, people can't factor reception into buying decisions and so there's no competition on actually being a phone.

Retailers just hope you aren't irritated enough by reception quality to bring it back within the return period.

Will the new iPhones be different? Maybe. After they're out, it could be that people come to the house with iPhones that work, and if so I'll put them in the feasible set for consideration. Do not think I'll be in the market for a $1K phone in any event, but I do like my iPad and could see getting an iPhone when/if they start lighting up, out here in the sticks.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
T-Mobile just got burned by Apple and the iPhone X

quote:

Apple announced the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus today. They’re all great phones in many ways, but they have one fatal flaw for T-Mobile and its customers: No support for T-Mobile’s new LTE network.

Right now, T-Mobile is in the early stages of rolling out a brand-new 600MHz network nationwide. The first sites are already online, and T-Mobile is expecting to cover a million square miles by the end of 2017. But the 600MHz network uses a brand-new LTE channel, Band 71, and very few devices support it yet. Sadly for T-Mobile, you can’t add the iPhone 8 or iPhone X to that list.

The specs page for the iPhone X confirms that it supports all the usual North American LTE bands, but not Band 71. However you frame this, it’s a blow for T-Mobile. The iPhone X is widely expected to spark an upgrade “super-cycle” that will see people on the iPhone 6 and 6S spring for the upgrade, since they’re buying a phone that they expect to last for years. That phone — expected to last for at least two years — won’t be compatible with the LTE band that T-Mobile is expecting to be the backbone of its network going forwards.

Compatibility with 600MHz will become a big deal for T-Mobile customers, assuming you like actually using your phone when you’re out and about. Lower frequencies travel further and penetrate buildings better, which all adds up to superior coverage, especially inside buildings or in rural areas. Verizon has relied heavily on its 700MHz spectrum for years, and it’s a big part of the reason it keeps winning coverage awards. T-Mobile’s 600MHz network promises to be just as good or better, but you can only take advantage of it if your phone is compatible. 600MHz compatibility is only going to get more important as time goes on. T-Mobile is planning on having 600MHz coverage over 1,000,000 square miles by the end of this year, and by the end of 2018, it will play a big part in its national coverage — unless you have an iPhone X.

There’s no doubt in my mind that T-Mobile wanted the iPhone X to support Band 71. CTO Neville Ray told me last month that T-Mobile is putting “as much, if not more effort into devices than the network” — and that’s a big statement, because T-Mobile is working hard on rolling out 600MHz. But T-Mobile only secured the 600MHz licenses in an auction early this year, which likely wasn’t enough lead time to build band 71 into the iPhone X’s modem.

But whichever way you cut it, this isn’t great news for T-Mobile. It’s going into 2018 with just one flagship phone with B71 support, and that’s the LG V30, which is the most niche phone that I’d consider a common flagship. The Galaxy S9 will almost definitely have B71 support, but we’ll be waiting until next year for an Apple phone that includes it. Worse, anyone who buys an iPhone right now and wants to switch in six months won’t have the benefit of T-Mobile’s full LTE network. That’s not going to do much for T-Mobile’s PR campaign to have the best network.

In short: if you’re buying an iPhone 8 or iPhone X, you probably shouldn’t go with T-Mobile. If you do, I’d go for a lease, rather than buying the phone on an instalment plan. That way, when the iPhone X2 shows up next year, you’ll be able to jump ship.

AT&T spent up to $2.4B for 600 MHz spectrums (vs T-Mobile's $8B for 600 MHz) but has not put forward a deployment plan yet for it. AT&T is currently concentrating on rolling out FirstNet band 14 for emergency services. However if you're on AT&T, phones that support 600 MHz should also be on the list.

Verizon and Sprint didn't bid on 600 MHz spectrums.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Not even considering the iPhones. I can't. Where we are, signal strength is weak even on Verizon and what matters - the only thing that matters - is getting a good enough signal.

I need a phone that actually rings at home and where I drive. Motorola's lead on that historically, due to a focus on antenna and signals, although with the sequence of new owners (Motorola->Google->Lenovo) I am wondering how true that will remain. All I can tell you is get reception on my Moto X Pure in places where my wife's and our neighbors' iPhones don't.

The problem is there is a perception that 'all phones are equal' on signal reception and the carriers and suppliers want people to believe that incorrect perception, so they don't put out specs on reception capabilities. Since they don't put out specs, people can't factor reception into buying decisions and so there's no competition on actually being a phone.

Retailers just hope you aren't irritated enough by reception quality to bring it back within the return period.

Will the new iPhones be different? Maybe. After they're out, it could be that people come to the house with iPhones that work, and if so I'll put them in the feasible set for consideration. Do not think I'll be in the market for a $1K phone in any event, but I do like my iPad and could see getting an iPhone when/if they start lighting up, out here in the sticks.

Do you have wifi? Don't most phones now have a voice over wifi option?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Do you have wifi? Don't most phones now have a voice over wifi option?

Lolz. My cellphone IS my Wi-Fi. Wink

The land line option here is ATT DSL - iffy 3Mb/s (yes, 3 whole megabits per second) connection. I power the house using my Moto X Pure as a hotspot. The only good news is a grandfathered, truly unlimited, old-school Verizon data plan. That, and the fact that Verizon and the Moto can squeeze 5-15 Mb/s through on a good day.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facial recognition- Can the police hold your phone up to your face and gain access?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I'll do. I have an iPhone 7 and discovered it is really great at video and photos, with automated features that turn out surprisingly good results. For example, video is now image-stabilized. On my trip to Africa I had video from my iPhone and from my Olympus E-M5 Mk II. Editing all the videos to an HD video, I couldn't tell them apart except for the zoom capabilities. (Did you know that using Final Cut pro you can rotate the video 90 degrees? So if you were dumb enough to make video with a vertical phone, you can still get widescreen HD video?)
I guess the X will have even better photo and video capabilities, that's what would interest me the most--ability to do better portraits, for example, without the larger size of the Plus iPhones.
Facial recognition for unlocking is not a feature I think would be useful. I like having the Home button for fingerprint recognition.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
My 6 will be 3 years old in December and it still runs the original iOS (8.1) that came with it. It never broke so I never updated the iOS. Ya, it started getting a little buggy recently, some websites won't render properly, some apps are incompatible, and the built-in mail program won't work with yahoo! starting later this month, but I still refuse updates. iOS 10.2 screwed up my iPad, so there's that. And I especially hate the stupid auto-download iOS BS. Always delete those things.

That said, it's gonna be the 8+ or X. I'll rule the X out if it doesn't have the simple 4-digit passcode capability.

At the X price, if I can get 3 years out of it I'm a happy camper.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if you were dumb enough to make video with a vertical phone, you can still get widescreen HD video?

No. Instead you'll have a vertical video cranked 90 degrees.

quote:
I'll rule the X out if it doesn't have the simple 4-digit passcode capability.

It does, except in iOS 9 and onward it's a 6 digit code. It'll also default to that on startup and if it can't verify your face like with TouchID.

Since I'm on lease, I'll probably go from a 7 Plus to an 8. Then when the Galaxy S9 comes out, I'll probably go to a X. If I could find a program that could reliably load my iTunes playlist off of a Mac, I'd still have my S8. I don't think there's an Android phone that comes with 256gb as microSD cards go flaky.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
being a recent convert from my Flip Phone Luddite roots, still adapting to the features of iPhone 5; most of which I like even using minimal portions of the platform.

After nearly 2 years this Beastie tells me I've got 25.22GB available of the original 28.72 and 272 photos stored. Given how little of the potential I need changing to something newer/bigger/faster/more$$$ seems foolish.

Much of the discussion above, while informative, is simply beyond current personal needs & represents more problems than solutions.

At the bare limits of usability for text size, most use is for this forum. I have Garmin for GPS, I know which way is N already, and there's no movie I want to see on this size screen.

Yes, I do view some entertaining clips now & then. Probably being retired & relatively low phone needs is advantage. I'm past the point of wanting/needing/willing to support 'iTunes' play list.

So of course, today I go to the phone store to compare costs of upgrade & try to glean advantage of such. Go figure.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty excited about the iPhone X. Keeping the same screen as my 7 Plus and getting a much smaller overall package is a big deal for me.

I'm also excited about the potential of the camera. It hasn't been talked about, but that camera has real potential for AR.

AR will be huge for all companies in the next few year and I for one can't wait to start playing with its potential on a phone.

It's only $200 more for the X than the 8 plus or other similar phones, but folks seem to be losing their minds about the cost. I don't understand that.

As for Apple not including low band frequencies like 71...why would they? It's not a mistake for Apple to ignore such a niche frequency, it's a mistake for T-mobile to spend so much money on it IMO.

True 5G isn't here yet. Gigabit over LTE isn't real 5G. When real 5G gets here, it will completely change how we use our devices and what we use them for. The amount of data we will be able to pull will be absolutely insane. Storing anything on a physical device will make no sense. Devices will have enough memory for the OS and Apps and that's it. It will all be cloud for everything else.

As pictures and videos (4K) get to be bigger and bigger files sizes, and our dependancy on clouds and downloads grow, older low frequency channels will be wholly inadequate. Here, let me show you a pic of my family taken with my 20 MP phone...hold on for 3 minutes while it downloads from the cloud on this shitty low frequency network.

5G is silly high frequency. The antennas will need to be closer than ever before to get coverage. I don't know what this means for rural communities, but I highly doubt the industry's answer will be slow low frequency channels. WiFi range and coverage based on fiber seems to be a much better solution IMO.

I really don't think most people understand what gigabit transfer speeds and AR will bring, but I believe they will radically change how most of us do business. I run a construction company and I can tell you, it's exponentially going to change how we build buildings and industrial facilities.

My only gripe with the iPhone X is that they kept the lighting port. I would have much preferred a USB-C.

Excited about the Apple TV 4K too. Upgrading previously purchased content to 4K is really awesome!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Facial recognition- Can the police hold your phone up to your face and gain access?

Good point. And a mugger could do that too.

Serious about crackers