SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
<snip>
Frankly if you want to impress me ditch all the extra horsepower/features etc. and give me a 2 day phone at full usage. Add a little thickness, work on the battery tech and throw a bigger battery in there.

I'm with you on the thickness point. A little more thickness makes the phone more robust, easier to hold securely, and accommodates higher capacity batteries. My iPhone 5 is thick by today's standard, but I like the look of it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>
Frankly if you want to impress me ditch all the extra horsepower/features etc. and give me a 2 day phone at full usage. Add a little thickness, work on the battery tech and throw a bigger battery in there.

I'm with you on the thickness point. A little more thickness makes the phone more robust, easier to hold securely, and accommodates higher capacity batteries. My iPhone 5 is thick by today's standard, but I like the look of it.

Thing is: Everyone wants thin phones and edge-to-edge glass.

Of course: Then they turn around and bury those svelte lines in big, clunky, heavy cases to protect them

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My 4s is almost 5-1/2 years old and it's started having issues in just the past couple of weeks. While I don't need the latest or greatest, I do need something dependable so I'll probably be upgrading soon, perhaps to a 6s or 7. I'm hoping I can hold out a little while to see if one of those (or whatever version) goes on sale when the 8 comes out.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
My 4s is almost 5-1/2 years old and it's started having issues in just the past couple of weeks. While I don't need the latest or greatest, I do need something dependable so I'll probably be upgrading soon, perhaps to a 6s or 7. I'm hoping I can hold out a little while to see if one of those (or whatever version) goes on sale when the 8 comes out.

The 6S is a solid contender. If you choose to go this route, you'll get a fairly large model (64gb+) for cheap! (Plus a headphone jack.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>

Just get the factory apple case with the extended battery built into it. I bought it for my iPhone 7 and it makes the battery last 3x as long. It uses the case battery first, then the phone battery, and utilizes the standard charging port it piggybacks to, charges phone battery first, then case battery. Or, you could split them apart and charge both individually with 2 charging cords.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new iPhone 8 is rumored to be 2 years ahead of the closest competitor. Lots of cool features. Hey will be updating it every two years now instead of every year and it is rumored to be called the iPhone pro. Will cost up to $1400.00. Yes I will own one!!

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A good article on Lightning vs. USB-C, and Apple's likely choice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9...on-iphone-usb-c/amp/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I just have a hard time forking over $1k for a 'phone' even with a payment plan. My IP6 is great, does what I want it to do, make and receive calls, take images from time to time, check the weather and surf when I'm bored. It's paid for and has been for a long time. If I were to upgrade it would only be to a 7 and that is not even in the cards.

I love apple products, I have a MB Air, A. Time Capsule and my phone. I also have a IP5 floating around here somewhere as a back up if something happens to my 6.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 5S that it still going strong, for the most part. Guess if they release a 7S/8 I would look at both. Software updates are what will finally kill my 5S.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Everybody is bitching about the expected price of an iPhone8, but since Apple won't be able to fulfill demand of the handset anyway, it makes perfect sense to price it like a Veblen good. This is especially important for the Chinese market. Later, the price will normalize as production is able to fulfill demand. In the meantime, there is the 7s for those who can wait.

Also, you can bet that the newest handset will not be called the iPhone 8. In fact, count on the numbering nomenclature to go away altogether. It might be called iPhone 10th anniversary, or iPhone Pro, but not iPhone 8.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I guess the first and most important question is, will you shell out a grand to get one?
In the past 'yes' (I paid $1k for the iPhone 6 with 128GB), but won't do it again. My view on Apple hasn't changed, but I am focused on saving for retirement and so would consider it an unnecessary expense).

My 6s is in perfect condition; so while I know they will give me a few hundred dollars for it towards an 8, do I really want to do an upgrade?

Usually I'm a sucker for everything Apple, but I've learned to wait for the 'S' version of their products to come out.

Likely I will let the hype die down, and the inventory increase back up, before pulling the trigger. What say the rest of you Apple fans?
I currently have the SE (the 6 was too big and I gave it to my son as soon as the SE came out). I'm pretty happy with the SE. The 8 would have to have some whiz bang upgrade features for me to jump in on the hype.

Does the major price hike preclude you from upgrading, or are you "in" as soon as they are available?
For the 6 and the SE, I was all gungho to get them as soon as possible. I won't get out and wait in line for anything, but when the SE was released I set my alarm for 2am and was online with both Apple and Verizon, continually refreshing my screen, until I was successful in getting my order submitted around 3:30am.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Apple's naming conventions never seem to remain stable. We're going straight from the 7 to the 8, now? No S mid-grade variant being marketed this time?

Since I'm on a 2-year contract with my 7, I won't be getting the new model.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
The new iPhone 8 is rumored to be 2 years ahead of the closest competitor. Lots of cool features. Hey will be updating it every two years now instead of every year and it is rumored to be called the iPhone pro. Will cost up to $1400.00. Yes I will own one!!

I can't imagine what they could do to an iPhone to make two years more advanced. So far no one in this thread has either. When it first came out, it was some what of a game changer. An iPod that could make phone calls and take pictures, cool. Since then, what has changed? My wife's 7 plus does all the same things the original did a bit better.

There's zero chance I will spend $1,400 to get the same functionality I already have for $600. My LG V10 does everything my wifes 7 plus does. It even was run over by a car and survived. It was in a $20 case and had a $10 temperd glass screen protector. The screen protector shattered and the case got a few scratches, but the phone was untouched.

Maybe it will be the next big thing.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
The new iPhone 8 is rumored to be 2 years ahead of the closest competitor.
That's totally laughable. Apple and especially Samsung are neck in neck to try and one up each other as they race to have the biggest, fastest, best screen, most features, most expensive, smartphone on the planet. Unless Apple comes out with some features that haven't been rumored or discussed thus far for the Iphone 8 (highly doubtful), they aren't leap frogging anyone. Both the iOS and android platforms and their supporting hardware are insanely capable right now, and that isn't likely to provide one company a distinct advantage over the other.

Maybe I'm just the exception to rule, but I am a value shopper. I want the best I can get for the most reasonable amount of money. I do not want a phone that costs more than my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, or Dell desktop machine, regardless who's brand in on the chassis. That simply makes no sense to me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
The iPhone 8 will have:

Facial recognition
Fingerprint reader on the rear
Oled panel by Samsung
Optical image stabilization on both rear cameras
New processors.
Lightning to USBC
Slightly smaller form factor
Lesser mobile data speed due to hating Qualcomm.
Not that much more in price.

Phones used to cost close to $1000 without subsidies.

I remember my startac and previous Motorola cell phones were insanely expensive.

I guess people are too used to paying monthly on a forever basis due to wanting the flashiest phones as soon as they debut.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I am a Photography judge for 4-H.. and I have seen some great pictures.. But this year I saw some that were stunning.. They were still life pictures of apples. .and making apple sauce. The lighting was perfect.. No shadows, they were tack sharp. I ask the girl how long it took to set these up?? Her answer.. No time at all .. I just used my iPhone 7 in still life mode.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Apple's naming conventions never seem to remain stable. We're going straight from the 7 to the 8, now? No S mid-grade variant being marketed this time?

Since I'm on a 2-year contract with my 7, I won't be getting the new model.

There is supposed to be a 7S from what I've read, but it may or may not be released at the same time as the 8 (or pro or X or whatever they will call it)

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread, I need to print the whole thing and study it.

The boss says we BOTH will be getting I-thingeys for Christmas, her's a new I-?? to replace her current one, mine to replace my flip phone. (She threatened last year, but the grandkids have put me on notice).

As to the pending features/specs, I am in a curious position. I know nothing of such things, but I live in the middle of the Apple kingdom.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
The rear fingerprint reader.

https://youtu.be/hGwr8FTVOh4

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
The rear fingerprint reader.

https://youtu.be/hGwr8FTVOh4

Whoa, almost like it's embedded in the Apple logo. Like 99% of people have cases on their iPhones though ...

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post