SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Facial recognition- Can the police hold your phone up to your face and gain access?

Good point. And a mugger could do that too.

If you're not looking at your phone or your eyes are closed it won't unlock. Also, this isn't a new issue. They can physically hold your finger to the thumb scanner.

FYI, it's not required to use facial recognition or finger print recognition. Just use a good 'ol password.

There's no issue here.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
As for Apple not including low band frequencies like 71...why would they? It's not a mistake for Apple to ignore such a niche frequency, it's a mistake for T-mobile to spend so much money on it IMO.

Band 71 (600 MHz) is not a niche frequency. It will be T-Mobile's main frequency and the only one they have to effectively counter Verizon and AT&T at the coverage game. This is why Legere spent $8B on it, though he did ask the board for $10B in case biddings got real competitive. It is a main T-Mobile band as their other bands are too high in frequency to cover large areas. By 2018, Legere said that they will be able to answer Verizon's coverage claim.

T-Mobile also has band 12 (700 MHz A block) but this band can only be deployed in limited areas due to interference with TV stations. T-Mobile also has to pay higher usage tax to deploy this band in areas where there's no TV interference. Thus T-Mobile band 12 is a stop-gap coverage measure for them until the wide availability of band 71. Verizon has almost blanket nation wide band 13 (I think 700 MHz C block) and thus has great coverage.

Band 71 is also 5G compatible. 5G does not mean high frequency only because the QAM will be much higher, leading to higher efficiency usage of the spectrums. Plus it can also be use in carrier aggregation mode, combining it with other bands for higher effective thru-put

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
After nearly 2 years this Beastie tells me I've got 25.22GB available of the original 28.72 and 272 photos stored.

lol. For comparison, I have 19,716 photos on mine Razz

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
After nearly 2 years this Beastie tells me I've got 25.22GB available of the original 28.72 and 272 photos stored.

lol. For comparison, I have 19,716 photos on mine Razz

Everytime you send a new sext, you don't need a new pic of your junk. Eek

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
As for Apple not including low band frequencies like 71...why would they? It's not a mistake for Apple to ignore such a niche frequency, it's a mistake for T-mobile to spend so much money on it IMO.

Band 71 (600 MHz) is not a niche frequency. It will be T-Mobile's main frequency and the only one they have to effectively counter Verizon and AT&T at the coverage game. This is why Legere spent $8B on it, though he did ask the board for $10B in case biddings got real competitive. It is a main T-Mobile band as their other bands are too high in frequency to cover large areas. By 2018, Legere said that they will be able to answer Verizon's coverage claim.

T-Mobile also has band 12 (700 MHz A block) but this band can only be deployed in limited areas due to interference with TV stations. T-Mobile also has to pay higher usage tax to deploy this band in areas where there's no TV interference. Thus T-Mobile band 12 is a stop-gap coverage measure for them until the wide availability of band 71. Verizon has almost blanket nation wide band 13 (I think 700 MHz C block) and thus has great coverage.

Band 71 is also 5G compatible. 5G does not mean high frequency only because the QAM will be much higher, leading to higher efficiency usage of the spectrums. Plus it can also be use in carrier aggregation mode, combining it with other bands for higher effective thru-put

Just because T-Mobile is using it doesn't mean it's not hot garbage. If they're spending 8 billion on it, then they're dumb and I'd run like hell from their stock.

Backwards compatible LTE 5G is NOT real 5G. AT&T and others are saying "5G," but it's not real 5G.

Real 5G will absolutely come here and it is very high frequency from what I understand. This backwards compatible "5G" (not real 5G) is marketing BS.

We'll know in less than 5 years I assume, but I really don't see us using low frequencies with what's coming. The new hotness will be massive file downloads on real 5G networks with phones equipped to make use of such speeds and file sizes. It's gonna be a whole new world of possibilities...streaming realtime AR to a contact lens...

no more directions on your phone or in dash navi...there will just be arrows on the road itself showing you where to turn.

no more blue prints or BIM models to foreman...there will simply be digital walls, and pipe right in their field of view showing them where things are to be installed.

no more TV's or physical displays of any type.

This is all coming and fast. The Halo-lense is a gen 1 piece of tech, but it works and will get exponentially better over the next couple of years.

AR is inevitable, the iPhone X is starting to move in this direction and the possibilities it offers in this area are what makes it so exciting for me.

To do all of the above, you need to realtime stream files that are GB's in size. Not just 1 or 2 GB's mind you, but hundreds of GB's.

I see that taking real high frequency 5G networks (of course fiber too). Apple knows what's coming and is clearly moving in that direction.

My new MacBook Pro on my desk now has no ports other than 4 usb-c ports. that will be the standard in no time, but people who don't understand are complaining about no standard USB ports or SD card slot. Lol, that's already antiquated tech.

I remember when Apple stopped putting CD/DVD drives in their laptops. People lost their minds and said Apple was arrogant and their laptop would fail because of it. They said buying software off the internet or from an App store wasn't feasible for consumers. how'd that work out?

this isn't a mistake by Apple, much like their exclusive use of usb-c. They simply focus on the best tech and move forward with it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just because T-Mobile is using it doesn't mean it's not hot garbage. If they're spending 8 billion on it, then they're dumb and I'd run like hell from their stock.

Backwards compatible LTE 5G is NOT real 5G. AT&T and others are saying "5G," but it's not real 5G.

Have you seen T-Mobile stocks since Legere took over? 600 MHz is hot garbage? I think you need to read more on it. AT&T also will be using 600 MHz as well. AT&T did not buy as much 600 MHz because Obama's FCC restricted AT&T and Verizon to smaller slices of 600 MHZ that they could bid on, reserving the rest for the smaller carriers. This was much unlike Bush's FCC, which effectively handed huge blocks of 700 MHz to Verizon and AT&T, giving the smaller carriers with nothing as they couldn't afford to enter that bidding battle with the big 2 (this was partly how Verizon and AT&T won the coverage battle). Because of this restriction, and the fact that Verizon already has huge blocks of 700 MHz, it did not buy any 600 MHz. Sprint was broke, as always, and did not have the funds however Sprint has narrow band 800 MHz nationwide.

You can call it 5G or not it's up to you. It is gigabit wireless regardless and it's been demo'ed and proclaimed as 5G. 600 MHz is compatible to it. Remember the battle over 4G, whether it was real 4G or not? Well AT&T and T-Mobile took it to court and the ITU had to change the official 4G definition to fit what the market was/is offering. So today it is 4G, not by the original definition, but LTE as we know it today is real 4G, per revised definition of 4G Smile Wink BTW, same with 3G when it came out, because it was really only 2.5G Smile

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are all peddling their "5G". That 4G scenario will play out with 5G as well. Count on it. Marketing is money. To be able to push new gears as 5G is hugely profitable for the carriers and they are the ones with the money, not the ITU.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Well we've thread drifted so I'll leave my comment at this.

The higher the frequency, the faster the speed. The lower the frequency, the bigger the footprint of coverage.

So, T-Mobile will have a fast by today's terms network, but it will be capped by the low frequency. Countries around the world are pushing up to a massive 28Ghz!!!! that's insane and T-Mobile won't be able to sniff the speeds at such a frequency. They're doing that because thats what AR and VR require. T-Mobile is banking that someone doesn't solve the high frequency = low range conundrum. Until this is solved, companies will have to have dual frequencies. I don't know the answer to this, does T-Mobile have any high frequency 5G plans? All I've seen is "low frequency is fast and you don't need high frqucny" from them...and I animately disagree with that.

The only reason to go low frequency is coverage. Like I said, I think the industry will fix this in another way. The tech is ever changing.

If I had to bank on a long term winner, I'd back the company that won't have the lower ceiling on their 5G speeds and bandwidth.

posted Hide Post
I think you've misread. T-Mobile was/is the king of high frequencies. It had ample of them. This is why their network is so fast in the cities and coverage is limited outside of cities.

This was why T-Mobile bought 700 MHz block A from Verizon and sold them some of its high frequency holdings - a swap, though not even.

I have never read any statement from T-Mobile that low is fast and you don't need high. As said, very weird from T-Mobile, whose portfolio comprises mainly of high freq. Seems more like that would be from Verizon, the main holder of low freq portfolio in the US. Do you have a link to such statement??

Anyway 600 MHz is 5G or gigabit compatible, the next jump from current 4G. It will arrive there possibly with carrier aggregation of multiple frequency bands together.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 6S. The only gripe if anything is the short battery life. I did purchase the Apple battery case which helps immensely. If in the near future I do decide to upgrade the i8 will be fine. Though I do have a headphone jack in my i6S, I use Bose bluetooth noise canceling headphones, they work superb. I also have a pair of Beats Solo 3's that work great and fantastic range. I can leave my phone in my bedroom and go out to the pool deck without missing a beat, Bose not as good as range but are more comfortable over ear set.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In less than 2 hours pre-orders for iPhone 8 and X will be open. Pre-orders can be taken directly through the Apple Store application. Anyone on the upgrade program like me would be well-advised to get your loan pre-approval ahead of time if you haven't already done so.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
In less than 2 hours pre-orders for iPhone 8 and X will be open. Pre-orders can be taken directly through the Apple Store application. Anyone on the upgrade program like me would be well-advised to get your loan pre-approval ahead of time if you haven't already done so.

False.
Iphone X goes on pre-order on Oct. 27

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

False.
Iphone X goes on pre-order on Oct. 27

You are right. Thank you for the correction. I did take the effort to look it up, but must have misread it. Turns out I was reading a truncated copy with the actual date cut off.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Got mine. Got nervous when the start was a couple minutes late, but once in no hiccups at all. Hope everyone else had similar luck.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Was really hoping that the rumors of an updated SE would come true. Oh well; I guess we'll see the price of existing SEs drop, which will be fine by me as my 5 is starting to have some issues.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I currently have a 6S. The only gripe if anything is the short battery life. I did purchase the Apple battery case which helps immensely. If in the near future I do decide to upgrade the i8 will be fine. Though I do have a headphone jack in my i6S, I use Bose bluetooth noise canceling headphones, they work superb. I also have a pair of Beats Solo 3's that work great and fantastic range. I can leave my phone in my bedroom and go out to the pool deck without missing a beat, Bose not as good as range but are more comfortable over ear set.

Additionally, I did do a side by side comparison of the sound quality between using a corded head sets and the bluetooth and there was no sound degradation between the two, cord or no cord. Bluetooth is fine for me and I'm not a fan of the cords getting snagged on something and ripping the headsets off my head. I reread the thread in it's entirety since just glancing because of no power from hurricane Irma before, and I can say that battery life between the Bose bluetooth and Beats Solo3 are different. Beats has great battery life and distance is fantastic. The Bose may edge the sound a tad and comfort, but it does pick up a bit of interferrence around electrical appliances, like the refrigerator or the fuse panel, but I can go pretty much throughout the house fine. I mostly prefer the Bose because it's an over the ear headphone whereas the Beats are on the ear. Both are fine though. I use the beats when outside cleaning the pool or just doing chores around the home and the Bose when I settle down to just listen and relax. The noise canceling feature with the Bose was exceptional during the hurricane for sitting outside the home and lots of noise and folks generators churning away without any external noises..quiet as a church mouse inside the headphones, just pure music nirvana. Plus I like the separate volume controls located on the Bose ear cups for volume and cutting over to an incoming phone call when in use. To receive a phone call using the Beats while listening to music is as easy as just pressing on the button on the outside of the right ear cup too. Both are fine for my use and sound is great without cords tying you to the phone. Battery life is fine and haven't needed to charge them from consistent use yet, just every now and then after a few days of long listening is the norm. I can say that I've gone for weeks at a time between charges with both sets just using for normal use a few hours at a time listening daily.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
looks like the 8 sales are slow. when I checked a little while ago, there were still available to to shipped on release date. usually it would be weeks after release by this time in the day. I presume that means a lot of folks are going to wait for the X.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you are going to order at the Apple online store, and you have a Discover card, enter the Apple store through the Discover card "porthole". They call it "Shop Discover" or something, and there are several dozen merchants there. When you go to Apple that way, and charge to Discover, you get 5% cash back on the purchase.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My 6 is getting a bit long in the tooth and the battery isn't what it used to be, due for an upgrade and was pleasantly surprised to see that AT&T has already dropped the prices on the 7.

Now do I want the iPhone 7 (IMO the "regular" 6/6S/7 form factor is the perfect size) or do I try the 7 Plus? That seems almost a bit TOO big like it's trying to be a small tablet. How does this fit in pockets?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My 6 is getting a bit long in the tooth and the battery isn't what it used to be, due for an upgrade and was pleasantly surprised to see that AT&T has already dropped the prices on the 7.

Now do I want the iPhone 7 (IMO the "regular" 6/6S/7 form factor is the perfect size) or do I try the 7 Plus? That seems almost a bit TOO big like it's trying to be a small tablet. How does this fit in pockets?

My 7+ fits in most of my pockets but I have some jeans that have shorter front pockets and the 7+ sticks out of the pocket slightly. And I have a couple of shirts that have pockets that are too small. When I get in the car, I have to pull the phone out of my front pants pocket as it'll push on my upper thigh. But I like the screen size, and the iPhone X interests me as it has an even larger screen size, in a smaller phone than the 7+.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What is "AR?"

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post