SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sprint appears to be offering purchase options that push the lease for the iPhone x. Not happy about any of the options. We always had the subsidized versions.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
After checking comparing everything on Apple's website I think I'm going to order an 8 Plus to replace my 7 Plus. Honestly kinda underwhelmed with the iPhone X especially if we can't preorder for over another month.

Kinda where I am at - I have a std 7 and think I will upgrade to 8 plus. I like the X but in no way can justify that spend on a phone

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Whoa, glass on the front AND the back, with innovations like that it's clear to see why Apple is two years ahead of everyone else. Big Grin

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bah, still no headphone jack (unforgivable).

Apparently I'm sticking with Android phones, and I like both.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Looking forward to it but if they do strictly switch to facial recognition only, I'm not sure I'll bite. I often unlock it when it's sitting on a desk or armrest and not looking directly at it. Seems like a step back.

Bigtime agree on this.

I too find it a none starter as I wouldn't want to do facial recognition while driving...
They were really HARD selling this phone on the live stream.... I ain't biting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8309 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Be interesting when the first car crash happens due to someone trying to use the facial recognition to unlock their phone Eek

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4329 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
So they're skipping 9? did 7 actually eight 9, then?

Posts: 756 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tenmm:
So they're skipping 9? did 7 actually eight 9, then?

It's the X for 10 yr anniversary of the iPhone. not a 10.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8309 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Whoa, glass on the front AND the back, with innovations like that it's clear to see why Apple is two years ahead of everyone else. Big Grin

iPhone 4 was glass

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:

iPhone 4 was glass

Yes, yes it was. It's the 4k video then; that's what's two years ahead of everyone else. Except, my LG V10 does it and it's 2 years old now. No home button! Revolutionary! Wait, I've never had a smartphone with a home button. I just don't see anything Apple announced today as being the biggest thing that's happened since the original iPhone.

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

iPhone 4 was glass

Yes, yes it was. It's the 4k video then; that's what's two years ahead of everyone else. Except, my LG V10 does it and it's 2 years old now. No home button! Revolutionary! Wait, I've never had a smartphone with a home button. I just don't see anything Apple announced today as being the biggest thing that's happened since the original iPhone.

Do you feel validated now? Hope so.

Here's one thing a two year old iPhone can do that your LG V10 can't. Run the latest release of the OS. Let's see, Nougat was released in Aug 2016, and available on T-Mobile for the LGV10 in July 2017. Nice. OS10 was released on Sept 13, 2016, and was available on my iPhone 6 (and every other iPhone back to 5) on Sept 13, 2016. Perhaps you'll get some Oreo by next summer, but that's a long time to stand around with a glass of milk.

There's more to an ecosystem than just hardware.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

iPhone 4 was glass

Trapper and other iPhone "haters". Please guys? Let this thread be what I intended? If you want to bash it, then start an "I hate iPhone thread."

Thanks much....

Opening Post Thread Request

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I don't see the 8 as much of an upgrade over the 7 I picked up last year. First year of the new new (X) means in a year for XI will be time for me to upgrade to see if there are issues since it's a bigger change than normal. ATT gave me excellent cash for my 6 so the 7 was cheap to upgrade to. At $999, yeah I'll wait a bit. And I'm not interested in facial recognition. I've always sold my previous Iphone which covered the cost of a new one on contract. Last year I think the upgrade cost me money, $150, for the first time. I'm not paying $400-500 to upgrade the phone. This is getting absolutely silly.

The new watch, meh. Another way to get you to pay another cellular plan, no thanks.

Apple 4k TV sounds cool and I will do that, but I don't have any 4k TV's yet because the content isn't there. A friend is an AV nut, he has a 4k, and bitches about content. Until HBO/SHO, etc, are broadcast in 4k, skipping out.

First time I've said "meh". I like the edge to edge deal, but if a phone needs my picture to work then fuck that thing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12555 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new watch, meh. Another way to get you to pay another cellular plan, no thanks.

Really? I missed that part. (about needing a separate plan) I have a first generation and still very happy with it. It would take a lot for me to invest in the new one though, I have 5 other regular watches that I like to rotate through.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I don't see the 8 as much of an upgrade over the 7 I picked up last year. First year of the new new (X) means in a year for XI will be time for me to upgrade to see if there are issues since it's a bigger change than normal. ATT gave me excellent cash for my 6 so the 7 was cheap to upgrade to. At $999, yeah I'll wait a bit. And I'm not interested in facial recognition. I've always sold my previous Iphone which covered the cost of a new one on contract. Last year I think the upgrade cost me money, $150, for the first time. I'm not paying $400-500 to upgrade the phone. This is getting absolutely silly.

Apple 4k TV sounds cool and I will do that, but I don't have any 4k TV's yet because the content isn't there. A friend is an AV nut, he has a 4k, and bitches about content. Until HBO/SHO, etc, are broadcast in 4k, skipping out.

First time I've said "meh". I like the edge to edge deal, but if a phone needs my picture to work then fuck that thing.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but 4k Blu Rays, 4k DirecTV channels (only 3 of them), YouTube, and NetFlix original 4k content look amazing. So glad I bought mine. So I bought another one. I'm an early adopter, though, so I like to take risks. Wink

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Really? I missed that part. (about needing a separate plan) I have a first generation and still very happy with it. It would take a lot for me to invest in the new one though, I have 5 other regular watches that I like to rotate through.
The Apple watch 3 comes in two versions:
  • $399 LTE which burns battery faster but you don't need an iPhone
  • $329 non-LTE

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23047 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    Well, I just upgraded from my current 7 to an 8 (pre-approval). It says to complete the upgrade on 9.15. Only 2 bucks more than my current monthly loan installment, so why not?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
    Picture of 911Boss
    posted Hide Post
    The X looks sharp, but I don’t imagine I’ll upgrade anytime soon. I have a 7 Plus, got it Nov of last year so I have at least a few months left before I could upgrade with Verizon. Will probably ride it out for the full two years.

The wireless charging does nothing for me. If need be, I can use the phone while plugged in and charging, not something you could do with it sitting on a charging pad. My phone lasts a full day or more on a charge and I plug it in at night while it sits on the nightstand. Have a charger in my car and one at work, also have a power bank so never an issue. Charging convenience (or lack thereof) has never been an issue for me.

As far as the “no headphone jack” whine, there is a head phone jack. Sure it is lightning, if you don’t want to use lightning headphones than use the adapter. How hard is that? Geez people, this is 2017. Might not be aware of this thing called “Bluetooth”. No wires, connects to headphones, car audio systems, personal speakers, sound bars, home stereo systems, and it works really well.

Yes, a thousand dollars is a lot for a phone if you want to think of it that way. Of course, a grand for a handheld computer that is also a full featured digital camera AND a 4K video camera that ALSO makes phone calls doesn’t seem terribly unreasonable to me.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10905 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 911Boss:
    The wireless charging does nothing for me. If need be, I can use the phone while plugged in and charging, not something you could do with it sitting on a charging pad.

I think the wireless charging is a nice addition. Because its uses Qi chargers, you could be over at a friend's house and set it on his Samsung charger in a pinch. With both Apple and Samsung using Qi chargers, this almost guarantees it becoming an industry standard. It would be nice to have a place in the dashboard of cars where you set your phone and have it automatically charge. It seems like a major convenience. If you like to plug it in, there's still that option through the lightning jack.

I am surprised that the phone isn't offered in a 512GB model. I would think that shooting 4K video will make even a 256GB model fill up fast.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stupid
    Allergy
    Picture of dry-fly
    posted Hide Post
    The 8 doesn't seem like it's worth upgrading to over my 7 plus, IMO. I don't *need* it, but as usual I'll get suckered in for the X.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6983 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post