SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
After checking comparing everything on Apple's website I think I'm going to order an 8 Plus to replace my 7 Plus. Honestly kinda underwhelmed with the iPhone X especially if we can't preorder for over another month.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'm going to order an 8 Plus

I'm just now getting into this. So there is an 8 and an X (ten). No 7s ?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
After checking comparing everything on Apple's website I think I'm going to order an 8 Plus to replace my 7 Plus. Honestly kinda underwhelmed with the iPhone X especially if we can't preorder for over another month.
I won't pay $1k for a phone until I can hook it up to a monitor and use it has a standard PC.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
What is with the naming convention? An iPhone 8 and an iPhone X? No 7S and no 9?

The X is a special edition to celebrate that the first iPhone was rolled out 10 years ago.

No idea why there's no 7s.

I need want to replace a 5s. I'm leaning towards the 8. I was hoping it would accommodate wireless charging and it does. I'm not interested in the facial recognition in X.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
I think I'm going to order an 8 Plus

I'm just now getting into this. So there is an 8 and an X (ten). No 7s ?

Yep. Here's the whole lineup:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for everybody to start selling their 7's on the cheap Wink

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll go with the 8. The X looks too big.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
The X using IR to scan all of the faces seems a bit much to me.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9156 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I think I'll go with the 8. The X looks too big.
The X is only slightly bigger than the 8. It's basically the same size.

Height: 5.65 vs. 5.45
Width: 2.79 vs. 2.65
Depth: 0.30 vs. 0.29

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Meh. Maybe if my SE ever craps out, but I have much better things to do with $1000.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
$1,149 for the 256gb version of the iPhone X. Yikes!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

playing catchup with samsung

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr: The X is only slightly bigger than the 8. It's basically the same size.

It's close, but the extra quarter inch on top of a phone that is already pushing my limit for height might be too much.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Got a 6S earlier this year. I'll ride this horse til it collapses. Not at all worried about having the newest and shiniest gadget.

Hell... I'm still using the 5S. Works fine for me.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I have a 7 Plus. The advantage I see in upgrading to the iPhone X is getting its bigger screen in a phone that is smaller than my 7 Plus.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Hell... I'm still using the 5S. Works fine for me.

How in the heck do you get your batteries to last? By the end of two years, mine are failing fast.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
According to CNET, both the X and the 8 still use the Lightning connector, rather than USB-C. OK by me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my 6S for two factor auth. I do not want to pick it up and wait for a facial recognition auth for my app to work. Fingerprint is much easier.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wireless charging seems like such a gimmick to me. I still need a charging pad plugged into a wall that is more or less stationary. I have never found new it hard to plug my phone in.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Wireless charging seems like such a gimmick to me. I still need a charging pad plugged into a wall that is more or less stationary. I have never found new it hard to plug my phone in.

There are a fair number of new vehicles that have charging pads built into the top of the center console. That might be more significant to me than at home.