SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:

I guess people are too used to paying monthly on a forever basis due to wanting the flashiest phones as soon as they debut.

No, I'm used to paying $2-300 for a phone and a two year contract. The phone was bought outright with the agreement that I would stay with that carrier for at least two years. I miss those days.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30280 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Got a 6S earlier this year. I'll ride this horse til it collapses. Not at all worried about having the newest and shiniest gadget.

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
A fool and his money will be quickly departed...no not planning to upgrade. I have an iPhone 6 and it works just fine. However, I did take a look at the SE and honestly like the feel of it much better due to the smaller size. If I were to upgrade, I would go smaller. The newer gen phones are just getting stupid big. You might as well carry around an iPad.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
The rear fingerprint reader.

https://youtu.be/hGwr8FTVOh4

Whoa, almost like it's embedded in the Apple logo. Like 99% of people have cases on their iPhones though ...

There are several designs that allow the Apple logo to show. I don't see why they couldn't make it thin to allow the fingerprint scanner to work, like the temporary covers on the front screen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Looking forward to it but if they do strictly switch to facial recognition only, I'm not sure I'll bite. I often unlock it when it's sitting on a desk or armrest and not looking directly at it. Seems like a step back.

I am sure they will still have type in unlock code capability. They will have to to account for when you have your facial beauty mud mask on.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
Looking forward to it but if they do strictly switch to facial recognition only, I'm not sure I'll bite. I often unlock it when it's sitting on a desk or armrest and not looking directly at it. Seems like a step back.

I am sure they will still have type in unlock code capability. They will have to to account for when you have your facial beauty mud mask on.

Some rumors saying the unlock will not require directly looking into the phone, so an indirect angle will unlock. It should unlock sitting on your desk without touching it. That would be nice.

Event is scheduled for Sept 12th?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally

Saw a podcast video where they speculated based on some anecdotal information that the face recognition might work from pretty severe angles. Maybe not quite when on your chair arm rest with you sitting straight up, but some degree of that. I'm guessing you would set this up similar to the finger print set up where you put your finger in various angles from side to side so once saved, you don't need to put it perfectly on the scanner. That works surprisingly well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:

I'm sure there'll be a code backup but I'm not sold on the facial thing, at least as I understand it currently. Maybe they'll surprise me.

And the facial mask works wonders, dammit. haha

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don't know. I love my iPhone 7. Did some serious video on the Africa trip, image stabilization now built-in. HD videos equivalent (except for zoom) to my Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II. I use a slim slip-on case only, as iP 7 is water-resistant (haven't tested that yet).

Posts: 17999 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The way I look at it there are lots of things I soend a thousand or more dollars on and do t get a lot of use out of. Multiple watches, guns, bikes, etc... there's nothing I use as much as my phone on a daily basis. It's an absolute necessity at work. Speed is crucial. I would gladly pay the money if it will make me more efficient.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
i have a 7 and love the camera but won't use facial recog. on any device. if it comes to that i'll just buy a nice camera and give the phone a toss...seriously, i won't do facial ever.

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I like where they are going with the iPhone 8 but will stick with my 6. Hard to justify the price when my current one does exactly what I need.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VonFatman:
i have a 7 and love the camera but won't use facial recog. on any device. if it comes to that i'll just buy a nice camera and give the phone a toss...seriously, i won't do facial ever.

bob

Why?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
You're right and I apologize for my transgression. I deleted the post. However, $1K for a cell phone, ANY CELL PHONE is nuts. Take that money and buy Apple stock. It won't be obsolete in two years.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20291 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right and I apologize for my transgression. I deleted the post. However, $1K for a cell phone, ANY CELL PHONE is nuts. Take that money and buy Apple stock. It won't be obsolete in two years.

I'm the OP of this thread and I really appreciate that you removed your comment. Yeah, $1k is a lot of money, although most of us will "simply" add it into the cost of our monthly bill after trading in our current phones.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
"Apple will unveil the eagerly anticipated iPhone 8 at a special event on 12th September in the Steve Jobs Theater inside it new 'Spaceship' HQ in Cupertino.

The firm today sent invites to key media for the event, which is also expected to see the launch of an iPhone 7s and 7s Plus, a new version of the Apple Watch and a new 4K Apple TV. …"

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8814 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
The rear fingerprint reader.

https://youtu.be/hGwr8FTVOh4

Whoa, almost like it's embedded in the Apple logo. Like 99% of people have cases on their iPhones though ...

As far as I am aware it is not, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Here we go!

iPhone X announced with edge-to-edge screen, Face ID, and no home button

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I donno. I think I'll wait for its successor, the iPhone XIII.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21044 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What is with the naming convention? An iPhone 8 and an iPhone X? No 7S and no 9?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post