SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I get to upgrade every year because of my phone plan. I don't buy my phone outright, I lease it. $34 a month or something small like that, I send the old phone to Sprint and I get a new one without a down payment or a bill spike.

I have been really pleased with all of my iPhones, dating back to the 5S, since I jumped from Android and Blackberry. It's nice to have a phone that just works.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
FYI, the IP8 will be smaller form-factor than the IP7. Same size screen but they were able to reduce the overall size of the phone by having screen be almost edge-to-edge.

That's a cool perk.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have a 7 and am on Verizon's yearly renewal plan. I just have to turn this one in. I will likely get the 8. I don't car about the headphone jack as I only use Bluetooth and the Airpods are awesome. The only thing I'm worried about is the battery life. I currently have the iPhone 7 Apple branded battery case. I can go two full days without charging my phone. It's way better then other battery cases I have used. I just hope Apple makes one for the the 8.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Is Apple sticking with the lightning cable or will it be USB-C with the 8?

I've read it will be the new USB on the iPhone 8.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last Apple iPhone I had was the 3G and that lasted me from 2008 all the way to 2012. I have been using Android eversince. However I am looking at the iPhone 8 and may switch back as my current LG V10 will probably no longer be updated. What I like about Apple is that that iOS upgrades cover a lot of their older products. I have a iPad 4 that I purchased in 2013 and it is still on the latest iOS. 4 YEARS !!! With Android you are lucky if you get 2 years if that; forcing you to purchase newer hardware for sake of security with the newer operating system. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3051 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Why would you pay $1000?!? The Apple "lease"'program breaks the payments down to $25-40 a month, includes Apple Care, and you get a new iPhone every time they come out! It's a pretty sweet deal. I've been on this program for almost a couple a years now.

I just checked this online...the renewal rate for an iPhone 8 would be $64.82/month- exactly twice what I'm paying for my iPhone 7. Additionally, I would have to pay off the remaining 12 months of loan balance since it's only been a year, and of course turn in the i7 in good condition.

Not sure where your getting a price or renewal rate for the iPhone 8. Also, the rate you pay monthly varies on the memory capacity you pick.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6983 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
I'm running the iOS developer beta and like the new UI.

I'm looking forward to that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts. One, the 6s is quite an impressive phone in its own right, so what will the iPhone 8 do that much better than your 6s to warrant an upgrade (i.e. a wheel barrel of money out of pocket)? And two, you can buy a pretty stout laptop for $1k. As such, where's the threshold/cutoff for a 'phone'?

Personally, I'm appalled at the pricing on all of these 'premium' handsets (Samsung Note 8 is $1k too, with S8 at around $800). I use my phone for calls, texts, and email, web surf a bit, use Google maps occasionally, and click some pics now and again. For those few tasks, I simply cannot and will not justify a $1k for a cellphone. I think this race to the top for cellphones is insane hype that a huge portion of the population is mired neck deep in.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
... I simply cannot justify a $1k cellphone. Others may have a completely different opinion, but that's mine.

I'm with you. But everybody has their priorities. Only thing I'd like out of my 6S is more runtime during heavier usage. I certainly don't want a bigger phone. And I don't need a faster one. More drop-safe and water resistant would be good.

They're selling bling. I want solid, basic dependability.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Why would you pay $1000?!? The Apple "lease"'program breaks the payments down to $25-40 a month, includes Apple Care, and you get a new iPhone every time they come out! It's a pretty sweet deal. I've been on this program for almost a couple a years now.

I just checked this online...the renewal rate for an iPhone 8 would be $64.82/month- exactly twice what I'm paying for my iPhone 7. Additionally, I would have to pay off the remaining 12 months of loan balance since it's only been a year, and of course turn in the i7 in good condition.

Not sure where your getting a price or renewal rate for the iPhone 8. Also, the rate you pay monthly varies on the memory capacity you pick.

Now that you mention it, it doesn't actually say iPhone 8. I loaded my actual iPhone 7 into the website, and it renewed me at twice the rate, which I have to believe is the 8 (what else could it be?). It must assume no memory upgrade, as none is listed.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I use my phone for calls, texts, and email, web surf a bit, use Google maps occasionally, and click some pics now and again. For those few tasks, I simply cannot and will not justify a $1k for a cellphone.

My current phone does everything I want to do well. I've had it for two years and it's paid for. I can't imagine what Apple can do that isn't just an incremental improvement over the current iPhones. The only thing I'd like to see is a build solid enough that I wouldn't have to buy an OtterBox for it. If it could double as a dashcam with 4K recording, that would be great as well.

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I am almost one year into my "free" iPhone 7+. I gave my 6+ to Verizon last year and for 24 months I get a rebate payment equal to my monthly phone installment. If I keep it active for 2 years, the phone is free upgrade for turning in my paid for 6+.

I imagine I will only upgrade to the 8 if they have a similar offer and wipe out my remaining 7+ obligation.

I've been very happy with the 7+, the usual complaints don't affect me in the least. As too not accepting a memory card, .99/month for 50gb iCloud storage and everything is on all my devices. Phone, iPads, MacBook. Also allows regular back up without having to do a thing.

Headphone jack? I use BT headphones, never even take the included headphones or adapter out of the box.

Ruggedness? I keep a thin case on my phone, a quality glass screen protector, buy AppleCare+ and don't worry about it. Wheel I do pay attention and treat it like an expensive electronic gadget, I don't particularly baby it and if I pull the case and screen protector off it looks new. Given the water "resistance" of the 7, I am no longer worried to the point of using fully enclosed cases such as an Otterbox.

As for price, yes $1000 is a lot for a phone. Smartphones are more than just phones though. Phone, digital camera, video camera, gps, remote data terminal, dictaphone, library, newsstand, PIM, etc.
Considering there is more computing power in the palm of your hand than what was used to first send men to the moon, I don't think the prices charged are too out of reason.

If all you want is a phone there are certainly cheaper options.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10904 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope still using my old flip phone, will til it quits. My phone is a a phone, that is how I use it, no text, no social media, just a phone.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
Went from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 6 with 128GB when it just came out... I try to get 4 years or so out of each phone AND I still have a ton of storage space on mine. Just had apple replace the battery a few weeks back (and that's the only "issue" I've ever had with my 6), feels like a brand new phone! So I'm good for another year while Apple works the kinks out in the 8.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the bitch about the 1k price is.
The 7+ I have was around 900 and with more memory it would have been more.

Maybe it's just because 1k sounds like a LOT more than 900.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
quote:

I would hope Apple is wise enough to stick with the Lightning connection, I've had too many Micro USB ports fail. My last flip phone was micro USB and you had to insert the cable JUST RIGHT or it wouldn't charge. With the Lightning cable you don't have to worry about orientation and I've never seen one fail or be fussy about insertion depth.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5588 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

I would hope Apple is wise enough to stick with the Lightning connection, I've had too many Micro USB ports fail. My last flip phone was micro USB and you had to insert the cable JUST RIGHT or it wouldn't charge. With the Lightning cable you don't have to worry about orientation and I've never seen one fail or be fussy about insertion depth.

If they change it would be to USB-C, not micro USB. C doesn’t have any orientation issues either and since they have gone to it on the MacBooks, I would expect them to do so on the phones as well.

Given my investment in cables it would but having a MacBook, I have already started with some USB-C stuff.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10904 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've had a few Apple made Lightning cables fail completely or only work in one direction. I would prefer everything to start standardizing on USB-C. I was hoping they would since they started switching their Macbooks ovee to it. Hopefully it uses whatever the standard is. I think Qualcomm has their own version that my OnePlus isn't compatible with for fast charging.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7989 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
quote:

While I have had lightning plugs fail, quite a few really, the micro USB is garbage, I agree. The new USB-c is much different though, and not orientation specific and each end of the cable is the same which is pretty great.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2478121,00.asp

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
From most everything I've read, the new phone will come with an internal Lightning port and probably a Lightning to USB-C charging cable with a 10W plug which will provide faster charging. Also, wireless charging may be included.

Many are speculating that Apple wants to move to total wireless on future devices which would eliminate all plug-in ports, but that's down the road.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post