SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Samsung has been making OLED screens for over 10 years and are making the OLED screen for the iPhone X. They've gotten so good at making OLED screens that the only phones that have better screens since the Galaxy S6 the years they came out were always the Galaxy Notes. The only issues with OLED not being a "mature" technology is on 55" screens and up. It's one of the few technologies that are easier to make on a smaller scale (2" - 10.1") than with a large panel.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So from what I can tell the only real differences between the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 is that the 8 has a glass body for wireless charging and a slightly faster processor? All the other specs look pretty much identical to me.

IMO, that's not enough to justify the higher price plus the 7 just dropped in price.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Any thoughts on the watch?

I'm going to keep my 6s for a while longer, but am seriously considering upgrading from first generation watch to the 3rd. Especially like the water resistance and additional functionality.

To add - I don't get why folks spend all the extra money just to get the stainless steel. I've had a black aluminium since they first came out and barely a scratch on the thing...which makes me wish even more that "they'd" give something toward it for a trade-up.

I'm in a tough spot with the watch. I got the Gen 1 using gift cards and feel like it would be a hard sell if it were my money. The battery is getting weak- I have to charge it daily where I previously could do every other day so it is getting to the point where I need to decide. The big catch will be if the bands are the same- the large band is just too small on my wrist and the XL rubber band was a special order. Also need to see if the cellular one will add cost to my plan.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also need to see if the cellular one will add cost to my plan.

Everything I've seen says $10 to add your watch to your phone plan.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Samsung has been making OLED screens for over 10 years and are making the OLED screen for the iPhone X. They've gotten so good at making OLED screens that the only phones that have better screens since the Galaxy S6 the years they came out were always the Galaxy Notes. The only issues with OLED not being a "mature" technology is on 55" screens and up. It's one of the few technologies that are easier to make on a smaller scale (2" - 10.1") than with a large panel.

Apparently Galaxy S8 users are complaining about burn in. Link.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Some folks have complained that the iPhone X's OLED screen is only half as bright as the Samsung Galaxy S8. Maybe that helps the alleged burn-in issue. And "half as bright" is only one f-stop – negligible difference.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So from what I can tell the only real differences between the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 is that the 8 has a glass body for wireless charging and a slightly faster processor? All the other specs look pretty much identical to me.

IMO, that's not enough to justify the higher price plus the 7 just dropped in price.

I think that pretty much sizes it up. I am curious as to how much faster ("up to 70%") the A11 really is. For me it makes sense to change, as I'm on the upgrade program, and it's only a couple bucks more. Plus I'm getting twice as much storage (64 vs. 32). Otherwise, there wouldn't be much incentive.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Most of the OLED burn in from Samsung phones are from idiots that leave their phone on 100% brightness at all times. When you run a phone screen at 850-1200 nits 24/7 with a technology that lights individual pixels, you're going to get burn in. If you leave your Samsung on auto brightness, it's smart enough and reacts faster than the Apple equivalent to give you just enough brightness where you're at. What's really cool is Samsung screens have a setting that when you turn the screen down for a room with no lights that drops to about 250 nits to about 15-30 nits where other screens go from 250 to 0 with you slide the brightness bar down.

It could be a reason for the half power screen, but I really liked that Samsung overdrive where you can see your phone on a Sci-Fi bright day. I'm thinking the reasons for the X having the half bright screen is Samsung won't make a "Galaxy level" screen for a customer and/or battery life. Even with OLED's power saving, you're still getting only 3-4 hours of screen time on phones with 2750-3300 mAh while the base iPhone 7 only has a 1800 mAh battery. The 7 was great with standby time, but not when you're using it. iPhone X claims a 2 hour battery life improvement over the 7/8.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Will wireless charging work if the phone is cased?

As long as the case is not metal, and the thickness of the case is not too great for the strength of the charger.

Browsing the Apple website, I noticed the Belkin charger specifies a 3mm range:

quote:
Case Compatible
Charge through most cases - up to 3mm.

UPDATE: I just tested my new 8 with the Belkin charger. It just handled 8mm; 9mm was too much for it (something prophetic there). So real-world was almost 3x better than published.

I wonder if the X will do 10mm? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So I installed iOS 11 last night and it does indeed have file management.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Here's my thought on the watch:

I didn't buy the Gen 1 because it wasn't water proof and I have no need for a watch that I can't take into the water.

When the Gen 2 came along I jumped on it and have really liked it. I find myself looking at it for messages, calendar, reminders (non time related things) much more than I ever thought I would have.

Now that the Gen 3 is out, I want to buy it so I can go for a run without my phone and still have my music.

The problem is that when I bought the 2, I bought the stainless steel case one with the fancy shmancy band. The damn thing was like $750 bucks and here I am wanting to replace it one year later.

In some ways, I wish I just bought the cheapest one so I can upgrade them every year without taking a bath on it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Any thoughts on the watch?

I'm going to keep my 6s for a while longer, but am seriously considering upgrading from first generation watch to the 3rd. Especially like the water resistance and additional functionality.

To add - I don't get why folks spend all the extra money just to get the stainless steel. I've had a black aluminium since they first came out and barely a scratch on the thing...which makes me wish even more that "they'd" give something toward it for a trade-up.

I pr-ordered the new Apple Watch last week. I got in early enough to have it on launch-day, this Friday.

I've had my Series 1 black aluminum model since it came out in 2015. Great watch but I'm ready for the upgrade.

I went with the Black Stainless Steel this time as it's heftier and I like the look of it. It has a more premium feel. The LTE is going to be a great addition as well.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Reading today that people are figuring out that the iPhone 8 is nothing more than an iPhone 7 with wireless charging and a slightly faster processor and they are not ordering them, preferring to wait for the iPhone X to come out.

Apple may have screwed up here and I think we'll see some iPhone 8 price drops pretty soon.

Apple: People are Passing on iPhone 8 For ‘X,’ Say Rosenblatt, Arthur Wood

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wow, when they say shipping on the 22, they mean it. I just received my iPhone 8. That all-glass construction in black is a sexy beast. I think I'm OK with it. Setting up now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
me too! Got one for each the wife and I. I really liked the ease of set up, especially since ios 11 allows the new phone to read the old one to clone the set up process.

I thought the "worm hole" (my term, not Apple'
s) at the beginning was damned slick.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Just got mine set up, couldnt use the instant set up feature because I was on an old plan, sprint got it handeled in a few minutes. FYI the Magpul 7 field case fits perfect on the 8.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, Magpul iP7 case fits perfectly.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
I am still going back and forth...As much I love new tech I am really thinking that unless you are willing to stay on top of ordering or wait in lines then the x might be very hard to get until early next year and then push back upgrade cycle.

I can upgrade from 7 to 8+ for the exact same amount of money and keep my 12 month upgrade so i am thinking the smart money is to do just that and then be in a better place to upgrade next Sept after they get bugs worked out.

Hell, if I didn't want a bigger phone I would just keep the 7 but I really want (need) a larger display

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Reading today that people are figuring out that the iPhone 8 is nothing more than an iPhone 7 with wireless charging and a slightly faster processor and they are not ordering them, preferring to wait for the iPhone X to come out.

Apple may have screwed up here and I think we'll see some iPhone 8 price drops pretty soon.

Apple: People are Passing on iPhone 8 For ‘X,’ Say Rosenblatt, Arthur Wood

Apple too smart to not see this was going to happen

I think they were banking on the sales of the X to begin with

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are also holding out for the iPhone X when it's available to pre-order next month.

We did upgrade from the original Apple Watch to the Series 3 though. We both followed suite with the originals and got the stainless steel watches, only change was my new one is the black stainless steel vs. the silver of my first watch.

The upgrade was well worth it. This new one is so much faster than our old watches. That alone made it worth it. No more lag opening apps on the phone, nor scrolling either. Click to open an app and it's open instantly and ready to scroll. Haven't set up LTE yet, and not really sure I'm going to since I usually have my phone on me anyway...so I can't comment on LTE yet. But I will say I'm extremely happy with the series 3 watch....so glad we did the upgrade.

The only gripe I have with it is the red dot on the digital crown (it's on all the LTE versions)...it's too bright. Had it been a darker red it wouldn't stick out so much. I suppose that's what watchdots.com is for...unless I just learn to live with it. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post