SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review> Login/Join 
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is "AR?"

Augmented Reality

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I've been on the Verizon site 3 times today; at the last minute I close the browser.

My 6 has 256gig and works great. I think I'll wait til the 8s. *

* Translation - I'll be posting a pic of my 8 sometimes in the next few weeks. LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I've been on the Verizon site 3 times today; at the last minute I close the browser.

My 6 has 256gig and works great. I think I'll wait til the 8s. *

* Translation - I'll be posting a pic of my 8 sometimes in the next few weeks. LOL

Same here with ATT...I currently have a 7 but really want a larger phone but I am not 100#% sold on X. Not a fan of the black thingy at top of screen and facial rec/no touch ID plus I have a feeling there will be bugs and dont want to be stuck with it for 2 years.

I might do an 8 plus and stay on one year upgrade cycle then get the "new" design next year after they fixed the shit no one liked

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Full specifications for iPhone X:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

I really like that big, sharp screen in a phone that's not too big.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Full specifications for iPhone X:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

I really like that big, sharp screen in a phone that's not too big.

As do I but that notch thing is way too annoying if you want to watch video full screen...I have to believe Apple will change that next Sept

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you can double tap to fit just like the Galaxy S8.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

I think you can also but then it reduces vide slightly so the viewable screen is smaller.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Just upgraded both my 6 and my wifes 5S to the Iphone 8. I went in with the intention of getting the 7, but Sprint gave me 50% off the lease amount for each line. So month to month will be cheaper but if I want to buy these things after 18 months its gonna sting. Might just keep doing the upgrade thing every 18 months. My company gets a 22% discount through sprint anyways so my bill for 2 lines and unlimited everything isnt too shabby.
One point of concern in regards to durability of the 8... this glass backing construction for wireless charging. I doubt Ill ever need to take advantage of that feature as I have no intention of paying 60 bucks for the equipment, so Id say I would prefer the old aluminum back (not like I have a choice). I guess with a sturdy case it should be irrelevant.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^That was also my concern with the 8. You would have thought Apple learned its lesson with the all-glass iPhone 4, but I guess if you have to have wireless charging.... I suppose its not an issue if you plan on casing it all the time like I do.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if an iPhone 7 case will fit an 8? The outside dimensions are almost identical.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
So some manufacturers are saying their Iphone 7 cases are compatible with the 8 because the dimensions are so similar, but If the original fit is extremely tight then you might have an issue. Magpul field cases for the 7 should be ok for the 8. My phones and cases should be here early next week so Ill let you know.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Yep, I am currently using a Magpul for my 7.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Just upgraded both my 6 and my wifes 5S to the Iphone 8. I went in with the intention of getting the 7, but Sprint gave me 50% off the lease amount for each line. So month to month will be cheaper but if I want to buy these things after 18 months its gonna sting. Might just keep doing the upgrade thing every 18 months. My company gets a 22% discount through sprint anyways so my bill for 2 lines and unlimited everything isnt too shabby.
One point of concern in regards to durability of the 8... this glass backing construction for wireless charging. I doubt Ill ever need to take advantage of that feature as I have no intention of paying 60 bucks for the equipment, so Id say I would prefer the old aluminum back (not like I have a choice). I guess with a sturdy case it should be irrelevant.

Still not sure if I am going 8 or X...right now I am leaning towards 8 plus and then upgrade in a year when the revised "X" comes out and they hopefully get rid of that god awful black bar.

As for the wireless charging, I have no intention of buying a mat but I am starting to see them in places like coffee shops for public use

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Will wireless charging work if the phone is cased?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Will wireless charging work if the phone is cased?

As long as the case is not metal, and the thickness of the case is not too great for the strength of the charger.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

I think you can also but then it reduces vide slightly so the viewable screen is smaller.

It's the non-standard aspect ratio. Unless you're watching a movie or clip with a 2.40:1 aspect ration, you're either going to get black bars or the outer edges will get cropped out. However, it's a lot easier to use the phone compared to the 16:9 iPhone Plus.

One thing that bothers me about the X is that it's the same brightness as the 7/8/8 Plus and half the brightness of the Galaxy S8 or Note 8.If you have issues seeing iPhone screens in bright daylight, you're going to have the same issue with the X.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

It's the non-standard aspect ratio. Unless you're watching a movie or clip with a 2.40:1 aspect ration, you're either going to get black bars or the outer edges will get cropped out. However, it's a lot easier to use the phone compared to the 16:9 iPhone Plus.

One thing that bothers me about the X is that it's the same brightness as the 7/8/8 Plus and half the brightness of the Galaxy S8 or Note 8.If you have issues seeing iPhone screens in bright daylight, you're going to have the same issue with the X.

I was just reading about that on another board.

I am usually an "early adapter" and geek out over the latest and greatest from Apple but I am just not that excited about the X.

The more I read the more I think I am going to upgrade to the 8+ for now (from a standard 7) as my 50 y/o eyes need more real estate.

It is sounding like there are supply chain issues and the wait could be pretty bad for the X unless your are online the moment they go on sale and I wont be. Beyond that I am hoping that in the coming year the bring the OLED up to par with Samsung, get rid of the stupid notch and bring some kind of touch ID option back

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on the watch?

I'm going to keep my 6s for a while longer, but am seriously considering upgrading from first generation watch to the 3rd. Especially like the water resistance and additional functionality.

To add - I don't get why folks spend all the extra money just to get the stainless steel. I've had a black aluminium since they first came out and barely a scratch on the thing...which makes me wish even more that "they'd" give something toward it for a trade-up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna hold out until I can get a really crappy trade in price for my 7+, making me just give it to one of my nieces in lieu of a birthday/xmas gift. I'm not sure I need anything this doesn't do.

I'll give my review of the iPhone X just as soon as I break down and buy one.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am definitely getting the X. Larger screen smaller footprint. Currently have the 6S plus so I will wait until all the craziness dies down around January.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
I am definitely getting the X. Larger screen smaller footprint. Currently have the 6S plus so I will wait until all the craziness dies down around January.

Do not want, a burn in OLED screen and iffy facial recognition. OLED is not yet a mature technology. TouchID works, and works well. I just upgraded from a 6s to an 8+, and will stick with that until they work out the bugs in the new tech. My 6s will soon be for sale here.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post