SIGforum
iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5190035924

August 27, 2017, 05:20 PM
Ronin1069
iPhone 8 - <watch question bottom of page 10> <Thread request in OP....please review>
Thread request:
Yes I know some of you hate Apple for whatever reason. Can I ask that you keep those opinions to yourself in this thread? I'd really just to like to hear from folks who are fans of the product and want to discuss the iPhone 8.

Thanks!

I guess the first and most important question is, will you shell out a grand to get one?

My 6s is in perfect condition; so while I know they will give me a few hundred dollars for it towards an 8, do I really want to do an upgrade?

Usually I'm a sucker for everything Apple, but I've learned to wait for the 'S' version of their products to come out.

Likely I will let the hype die down, and the inventory increase back up, before pulling the trigger. What say the rest of you Apple fans?

Does the major price hike preclude you from upgrading, or are you "in" as soon as they are available?

http://www.businessinsider.com...8-999-dollars-2017-8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
August 27, 2017, 05:25 PM
cslinger
I have a 7. I have been very happy with all my apple phones. 4S, 6S and my 7. The only thing that would make me jump for an 8 would be if they put the god damn head phone jack back, which I know ain't happening. I have plenty of adapters but it's just a minor PITA.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
August 27, 2017, 05:39 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have a 7. I have been very happy with all my apple phones. 4S, 6S and my 7. The only thing that would make me jump for an 8 would be if they put the god damn head phone jack back, which I know ain't happening. I have plenty of adapters but it's just a minor PITA.

Haha, that was the only question I was going to ask, about the headphone jack.

I'm curious for my wife who likes the iPhone and may want to upgrade soon. She has a 6s.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
August 27, 2017, 05:42 PM
Fredward
Well I was using the 5c well into the release of the 7, and just upgraded to the SE a few monts ago when the blue one died. I have no interest in the wireless setup, and may abandon the iPhone altogether if forced into it.
August 27, 2017, 05:47 PM
Pipe Smoker
I'm looking to replace my aging iPhone 5. But I've heard that Apple will introduce the iPhone 7s concurrently with the iPhone 8. I'll decide when I can see both side-by-side.

Serious about crackers
August 27, 2017, 05:49 PM
downtownv
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Thread request:
Yes I know some of you hate Apple for whatever reason. Can I ask that you keep those opinions to yourself in this thread? I'd really just to like to hear from folks who are fans of the product and want to discuss the iPhone 8.

Thanks!

I guess the first and most important question is, will you shell out a grand to get one?

My 6s is in perfect condition; so while I know they will give me a few hundred dollars for it towards an 8, do I really want to do an upgrade?

Usually I'm a sucker for everything Apple, but I've learned to wait for the 'S' version of their products to come out.

Likely I will let the hype die down, and the inventory increase back up, before pulling the trigger. What say the rest of you Apple fans?

Does the major price hike preclude you from upgrading, or are you "in" as soon as they are available?

http://www.businessinsider.com...8-999-dollars-2017-8

I have been total apple since the 1st iPhone, also bought a MB Pro at the time as well, then an iPad when they came out. Love e'm wouldn't switch the compatibility for anything. Recently bought the new 2017 MB Pro, took 10 days to get it as I did 16GB memory and 512 gb hard drive.
It was the max they offered and the new Touch Bar, took some getting use to. I love it now after 2 weeks.
That said I have a 6s and them skipping the 7s and going right to the 8, I will need to see/hear the upgrade differences.
At this point the 6s is free and clear of any payments and has the 128gb hard drive in it. It's gonna have to be REALLY a huge difference for me to jump in.
BTW the iPad is seldom used...
The 2015 Retina will be available for sale to the forum members first when I transfer a few things off and restore it.

https://www.teampython.com

August 27, 2017, 05:55 PM
stickman428
I LOVE my iPhone 7. I'll probably wait for the 8S or 9.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
August 27, 2017, 05:56 PM
Scooter123
I purchased Apple stock back in 2001 when the Ipod became such an instant hit. Still have it and it now pays me a rather pleasant dividend. So I just love Apple and the way folks react to anything new from this company.

As for myself, I carried a flip phone until about a year ago when my Garmin Forerunner 15 stopped linking up with the GPS satellite network. Since I've become a bit obsessive about tracking all my workouts I decided to upgrade to the Forerunner 235, which is also a "Smart Watch". Hey, if you have a Smart Watch you need a Smart Phone to use it's features. So I purchased a phone as close to the size of my old flip phone as was current, the Apple SE with 64 Gig of memory.

Now I am beginning to understand the appeal of these whizbang gadgets. Right now I have about 60% of my CD collection loaded to my phone so I can listen to music with bluetooth playback over headphones, my car radios, and even my Stereo using a bluetooth receiver. I also get notifications of an incoming call on my watch so I can see who is calling even if I can't hear the phone ringing. BTW, the wrist vibrator was the original impetus to getting a smart phone, our manufacturing floor is loud enough that you cannot hear a phone ringing.

So, I'm looking forward to the Apple 8. If it's a big hit it will mean another boost in the price of Apple's stock and perhaps even a bit more yield per share. However, I don't think I'll consider upgrading from my SE until Apple releases a compact with the same handy size as the SE and perhaps 128 to 256 Gb of memory.

PS; cslinger I would suggest that you break the cord and get yourself some bluetooth headphones. Mine are over the ear because I also wanted the hearing protection while cutting the grass and they've been just fine for working out at the gym. However if you like ear buds there are bluetooth earbuds available and reports I've seen indicate they sound quite good.

I've stopped counting.
August 27, 2017, 05:59 PM
MooneyP226
I don't know. A thousand clams is some serious dough to me. Serious dough. My 7 is cruising along well and I shelled out for a lot of extra memory, so it would be a while for sure. Maybe never for that much cash.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad
August 27, 2017, 06:00 PM
snwghst
Absolutely!!

I am also on the Apple Upgrade program so all I have to do is put my reservation in during presale

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever
August 27, 2017, 06:01 PM
Copefree
I get the new iPhone every year so yes, I'll definitely be getting it.

Can't wait! It is gonna be a great one.

August 27, 2017, 06:01 PM
NavyGuy
I doubt the headphone jack will ever be back. And yeah, I get it that it's a bit inconvenient to use the adapter... but good grief it's just a 1" piece of wire which then makes all legacy plug in devices compatible. I use legacy headphone buds (Skull Candy) daily and I find it a non issue with my iPhone 7.

What I don't like is the price point being tossed around for the 8.(or whatever it will eventually be named) $1000 plus for a device is really pushing it. Since the new OS 11 will be available for the 7 and 7+ and provide all of the new features that aren't tied to the new hardware, I pretty sure I'll be sicking with my 7. Unless the carries cut some irresistible deals which just could happen.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
August 27, 2017, 06:05 PM
MikeNH
Looking forward to it but if they do strictly switch to facial recognition only, I'm not sure I'll bite. I often unlock it when it's sitting on a desk or armrest and not looking directly at it. Seems like a step back.
August 27, 2017, 06:08 PM
berto
7+ is working just fine. I usually skip a generation so the 9 will probably be my next phone.
August 27, 2017, 06:12 PM
dry-fly
Why would you pay $1000?!? The Apple "lease"'program breaks the payments down to $25-40 a month, includes Apple Care, and you get a new iPhone every time they come out! It's a pretty sweet deal. I've been on this program for almost a couple a years now.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
August 27, 2017, 06:15 PM
JDHunz
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
7+ is working just fine. I usually skip a generation so the 9 will probably be my next phone.

...this

Love my 7+ and it does all that I need it to do. Heck,kept my 6S+ as backup as I loved that phone, too.

The $1k seems really steep, regardless of what it can do. I will probably wait it out and see.

August 27, 2017, 06:15 PM
Oz_Shadow
I'm hoping for some special incentives from Sprint. I want the 8 but boy is it expensive. I'm still using my 6.
August 27, 2017, 06:22 PM
ensigmatic
Nope. Wife and I have brand new 6S'. They'll do for a while.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
August 27, 2017, 06:26 PM
Ronin1069
quote:
Looking forward to it but if they do strictly switch to facial recognition only, I'm not sure I'll bite. I often unlock it when it's sitting on a desk or armrest and not looking directly at it. Seems like a step back.

Bigtime agree on this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
August 27, 2017, 06:27 PM
mkueffer
Most likely I'll be ordering an 8. Currently have a 7 and as long as they offer a similar sized one (I want it to fit my pants pocket).

I'm running the iOS developer beta and like the new UI.

A few Sigs and some others