SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FDA fast-tracks magic mushroom chemical to treat depression
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FDA fast-tracks magic mushroom chemical to treat depression Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Note: billionaire Trump supporter Peter Thiel backs the company that makes it.

“The 'magic mushroom' chemical, psilocybin, has been named a Breakthrough Therapy by the FDA, expediting research on its use to treat depression.

The designation was introduced in 2012 and is reserved only for treatments for serious and life threatening conditions that may be better than existing ones.

Psilocybin is a Schedule I drug, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DA), but it and several other psychedelic drugs have lately gained traction as promising mental illness treatments.

In August, a trial of psilocybin got the FDA's approval for the first time ever.

The trial's results thus far have apparently been so promising for patients with treatment-resistant depression that the agency has now given it the rare classification, which could cut the time it takes to get approved in half…”

https://dailym.ai/2RbigW6

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Hey, if it prevents depressed people from becoming suicidal people, more power to them.
Depression, *Real Depression*, is crippling and should be treated as an emergency.
I hope it works.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Good, finally fhe fda gets something right.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Far out, man!

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Only song I know with mescaline in the lyrics. Cool

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've read recently that psychedelic trips can help the terminally ill come to terms with their death.

https://michaelpollan.com/books/

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

HA! I remember this movie well Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Trippy.

The topic itself has been trending quite a bit the last few years, microdosing 'shrooms and MDMA. I don't know much about it beyond the headlines but it sounds intriguing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Sounds promising, and considering how dangerous/harmful/ineffective many of the currently approved options are, I hope it's effective and available soon.

It's not like people who are in mental anguish every day and often on the brink of suicide have much to lose by trying.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I took shrooms a few times recreationally in high school and college. Aside from projectile vomiting about 45 minutes to 1 hour after eating them, the trip was pretty mellow and happy.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I’m guessing that his state has been altered to “banned”. He looks seriously out of it…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
An earlier (Dec, 2017) article, noting that billionaire Trump supporter Peter Thiel is an investor in Compass Pathways, which makes a commercial version of psilocybin.

“…The results of that study were so promising that they jump-started a sort of renaissance in psychedelic research that's now being led by a handful of non-profit research organizations and startups.

One of them is Compass Pathways, a for-profit company that Silicon Valley entrepreneur Peter Thiel invested in last year. The UK-based group announced last week that it plans to start clinical trials of psilocybin for depression and anxiety sometime within the first three months of 2018, the Financial Times reported. They aim to enroll 400 people across eight countries including the United Kingdom, Germany, Finland, the Netherlands, and Spain - potentially making it the largest international study of the drug to-date. London-based entrepreneur Christian Angermayer, ex-hedge fund manager Mike Novogratz, and film producer Sam Englebardt are also backers of Compass…”

http://www.businessinsider.com...sion-science-2017-12

Serious about crackers

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Oh man! This is how you get zombies.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post