SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calorie counter apps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calorie counter apps? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Anyone use a good free one they’d recommend for iOS?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had great results w/ myfitnesspal. The thing will even scan bar codes so you don't have to manually input many of your foods.
s

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Lose It, it also lets you scan barcodes.

You have to be careful though, garbage in-garbage out. Users can create foods that are shareable so Lose It at least has a lot of totally wrong food items in the database. Not an issue for me, I can tell if something is off easy since I have read so many food labels.

It also takes practice estimating amounts, I’d suggest measuring every once in awhile to keep your estimating eye calibrated.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
another vote for Lose It. It is what i use.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't use one anymore but when I was working on losing weight I used myfitnesspal.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Imo, counting calories needs to die a swift and merciful death. Eat to satiety. If the objective is losing fat, eat fat. It's the quality of calories that matter.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I recommend chronometer. Breaks down foods into protein, carbs and fats. I use it and it really made a difference when I started eating keto. Once you know your ratio/mix of these 3 this app really helps you to stay on target. You can create foods, recipes, etc. And it’s free (although there’s an option to upgrade but I see no reason to). Regardless good luck!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Imo, counting calories needs to die a swift and merciful death. Eat to satiety. If the objective is losing fat, eat fat. It's the quality of calories that matter.

I’m just trying to get an idea off how much I’m taking in each day on average.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:

I’m just trying to get an idea off how much I’m taking in each day on average.

It is important to get a baseline as well as make sure you are tracking the macro-nutrients not just the calories (carbs, fat, protein).

SigSentry is right, calories don't matter in and of themselves. Our bodies are hormone driven. What we eat (or don't, or when we aren't eating at all) controls those hormones and the hormones control fat storage (or burn), hunger etc.

If you were eating 100% whole foods with limited carb intake it would be very difficult to over-eat.

Processed carbs with very few nutrients and low fat...really easy to over eat!

My biggest Achilles heal is alcohol, lots of extra empty calories there...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m aware of that. I’m simply looking for an easy way of tracking my average intake for a week or two. Really, don’t over complicate this. I’ve downloaded My Fitness Pal and will give it a shot.

Thanks

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I use Lose It and Fooducate, just to get an idea of calories per portion.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I use Lose It and Fooducate, just to get an idea of calories per portion.

My Fitness Pal looks to do a good job of that too. It shows me being able to lose a pound a week on about 2400 calories a day. So far I’m down 13 pounds in one week just eliminating sugar and dropping the beer to one a day (none yesterday Brie to a headache).

I’ve been in decent shape overall the last 25 years and weight training most of that time as well. I was slipping this year and the weight adds up easier each year too (just rolled 46 on the odometer in August). The goal is 180-185 as that has always been my best from looks, health and how I felt. Hope it gets the blood pressure back under control. I hate the idea of taking meds the rest of my life.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
I had great results w/ myfitnesspal. The thing will even scan bar codes so you don't have to manually input many of your foods.
s
+1

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
s

This has already been handy a couple times. One thing I’m unsure of is the input for exercise. Since the calories burned number from cardio machines vary so wildly I feel like it’s probably not worth it. The weight training input seems pointless and isn’t very well done IMO. I’ve got JEFIT for that specifically.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:If you were eating 100% whole foods with limited carb intake it would be very difficult to over-eat.

Processed carbs with very few nutrients and low fat...really easy to over eat!

Strambo,

I know you have studied this pretty extensively. How far into the "processed" realm do you think is reasonable?

In the strictest sense, as soon as you season a piece of meat and cook it, it's "processed". I doubt that's what you are talking about, but there's a heck of a lot of gray territory between raw meat and Oreos.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t personally take it too far. Objectively, perfectly healthy would just be all whole foods, cooking is fine (all raw is pretty extreme IMHO).

In practical terms, I just try to limit the processed stuff. Last night we had burgers, salad and cauliflower “veggie” tots from a bag in the frozen food section. Yes, the “tots” are processed with some undesirable ingredients, but they are still over 90% cauliflower and way healthier for us and the kids than regular tots or fries. We don’t eat that type of stuff daily either.

If a person were to go from an 80% processed crap diet, 20% whole food and invert that, it would make a huge difference. 20% is still a lot of leeway for the unhealthy treats on occasion.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I use LoseIt and really like it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started using My Fitness Pal last month after it was recommended to me by Johns Hopkins Executive Health. It's better than the apps I used before. The bar code feature covers more items and it gives you good nutritional information as well.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
MyFitnessPal is the go to app in the fitness community as far as I can tell. It is used by a large majority of fitness competitors that I know.

I have used it to keep track of my nutrition and found it to be fairly easy to use. It's certainly where I would recommend starting.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
My fitness pal helped me lose 150 pounds and I have used it to maintain for 2 years now.

Recommend

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post