SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sharpest onion?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharpest onion? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Which onion has the sharpest (spiciest) flavor? I've searched on the web, and find wildly conflicting answers from those "experts", so I'm turning to my most trusted source – SigForum.

My own opinion is that the common white onion is sharpest, but I haven't bought any other kind for several years, so maybe my opinion is in need of an update.

Edit: I mean when eaten raw, of course.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Purples have a pretty good bite to me, but I'd go with white > yellow > sweets.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know they are not a keeper but the Walla Walla are pretty tasty. I don't know about sharpness but I don't know where Sweet and Walla walla come from. They are oniony

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd say the red onion.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'd say raw white. Cooking or sautéing takes the bite out them however. I like a slice of raw white onion on my burgers. Yum.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I have been told by a chef they are strongest in this order from strongest to mildest - red, white, yellow, sweet, then shallot.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Ramps.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I'm no onionologist but I did stay at a holiday in last night and I watched Alton Brown talking about onions. He says whites are strongest.

I'd say some reds are pretty potent. then yeller, then sweets.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
White onions are, to me, the harshest by far.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Ramps.

First time I've heard of ramps. I googled them, and they look interesting, but their bulb is too small to slice for sandwiches, and that's my main use for raw onions. Thanks for the info though. I learn lots of interesting things on SigForum.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Per Lou Costello, the white ones eat like apples, or so I saw. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Ramps... use the greens, they are wonderful.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Per Lou Costello, the white ones eat like apples, or so I saw. Big Grin

College pledging..... You don't want to eat a pledge apple.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
White onions are, to me, the harshest by far.

Based on your choice of adjective, I take it that you don't like zesty raw onion. Smile

Serious about crackers

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
To me, I'd rank them like this from sharpest to mildest: white, yellow, red, sweet.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I think the confusion has to do with what you call the flavor you're looking for (or, alternatively, what flavor you associate with the term you're using).

For intensity of oniony flavor when raw, I'd rank them red > yellow > white.

For harsh sulfur bite when raw, I'd rank them white > yellow > red.

I buy red onions if I'm using them raw and yellow onions if I'm cooking them, almost without exception.

The only exception I can think of is some raw salsas or pico de gallo things that don't taste right unless you use white onions. (I guess you need the harsh bite of the white onion so the flavor doesn't get overwhelmed by the other ingredients.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Red onion is the sharpest. Best for salads, salsa, ect.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I really don't know which one is sharpest but, I do know you can't have a good garden salad or good potato salad if you don't use red onions.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Red onion sliced wide on a burger with marble cheese, yumm Smile

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post