SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US birth rate hits 35-year low
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US birth rate hits 35-year low Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
To those saying we were better with less people “in every measurable way”, tell me when that time was. I’d sincerely like to know. In 1969 when The Population Bomb predicted calamity, our population was just over 200 million, yet our air was filthy, many in the world were hungry, and our economy was in decline. We have solved much of this with even more people, and none of the predictions have been realized. Malthusian population theory sure is persistent, even though the 18th century perspective was based on 18th century agrarian methods.

With the possible exception of 14th century Europe, I don’t see the historical benefits from less people.

—The halving of Europe’s population created a huge labor shortage, effectively ending the feudal serfdom system of what was essentially slavery.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The birth rate might be dropping but the population is still increasing.21 million in the last ten years in the US. World population grows at 33 million a year.

Finding workers in an era when automation is making many jobs disappear? I'd be happy to have manufacturing and employment move back here and fill them with legal workers. I have no problem having immigrants come here who want to be a benefit to this country. Fix immigration and secure the country.

https://www.worldometers.info/...ation/us-population/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
The birth ratemight be dropping but the population is still increasing.21 million in the last ten years in the US. World population grows at 33 million a year.

Finding workers in an era when automation is making many jobs disappear? I'd be happy to have manufacturing and employment move back here and fill them with legal workers. I have no problem having immigrants come here who want to be a benefit to this country. Fix immigration and secure the country

Correct. The average birth rate hasn't dropped to zero, and (despite the current pandemic and what some would have us believe Wink ), it still exceeds the average death rate and therefore the global human population is still currently increasing...just at a slower rate. However, again with the caveats I posted previously, the global population is projected to peak in @ 20-30 years, and then decline.

I don't believe we need to manufacture virtually all the consumer products used in the U.S. and if India can produce a popsicle stick or Vietnam can produce a microwave safe container with the required quality, saftety, and affordability I'm fine using their products...but I've been saying for decades that goods/ technology critical to our infrastructure and national security should be manufactured in the U.S. , or at least we should have supplemental manufacturing capability for these goods, and the same for services.

You'll get no argument from me on restricting illegal aliens or securing the border.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
If you want to see what a declining birth date bodes for a society, look at Japan. They have a severe workforce shortage because of an aging, shrinking, population.

I suppose that India is thriving ?

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, the OP is a timely post considering the news my wife just gave me this morning...

DUDE!? Eek

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! That deserves it's own thread.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post