SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Photo hosting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo hosting? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
What is the problem with photo hosting?

I've used Tiny Pic for years. Now all of a sudden, no pictures are uploaded right.

Imgur was also suggested. I can't get that working either.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Can't wordpress host your pics?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Who/what is that?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Please further explain your issue.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Who/what is that?

They're currently hosting your avatar...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Please further explain your issue.

I upload to Tinypic and it says something about file format. These are typical ipad photo .jpgs like I have uploaded for years there.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who/what is that?

They're currently hosting your avatar...

I believe that is closed now, for the moment. It hosts avatars only, I believe.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
From the few clues you gave and a bit of Googlefoo ~ the only conclusion is that the problem lies at TinyPC.
Of course you had a problem with imgur so that may not apply.
Carnac > out. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
From the few clues you gave and a bit of Googlefoo ~ the only conclusion is that the problem lies at TinyPC.
Of course you had a problem with imgur so that may not apply.
Carnac > out. Eek

I wish I knew more to tell ya. Thanks.

I don't know if it is a iPad problem or user error or what.

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
TinyPic is non-functional. I tried uploading some images a few weeks ago and got error messages everytime. I wrote a post or two about this in the photobucket threads. I would suggest using https://postimages.org/ . You can set up an account with directories or just upload anonymously (like Tinypic).

I think it's just a matter of time before tinypic goes away. Indeed, I was trying to download some albums from photobucket today and it wasn't working.

It's not you, it's tinypic. This seems to be finally being noticed on the web.

Google: tinypic upload failed

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
TinyPic is non-functional. I tried uploading some images a few weeks ago and got error messages everytime. I wrote a post or two about this in the photobucket threads. I would suggest using https://postimages.org/ . You can set up an account with directories or just upload anonymously (like Tinypic).

I think it's just a matter of time before tinypic goes away. Indeed, I was trying to download some albums from photobucket today and it wasn't working.

Well, I just tried post images and got "invalid JSON response from server" whatever that is.

I tried a photo taken on the iPad.

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

Well, I just tried post images and got "invalid JSON response from server" whatever that is.

I tried a photo taken on the iPad.

While it's possible there is a bug in the software, or that the Ad Code on tinypic is interfering with the upload code (Although, I can't imagine that, if that were the case, it would happen everytime. That seems very unlikely.). I think they have intentionally disabled the site, but have not removed the uploader, so that people will attempt to upload and thus get ads, hence generating revenue. That may be why tinypic is still serving legacy images, but just not allowing any new ones to be uploaded.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Here's the two posts I made after first noticing TinyPic was broken.

August 2

August 7

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, imgur is unuseable. There is no way to get the proper file name to use in a forum like this.

http://imgur.com/a/jIG6s

posted Hide Post
I have used www.pbase.com for 15 years or so... Never failed me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I can tell, imgur is unuseable. There is no way to get the proper file name to use in a forum like this.

I believe the only way to get the proper direct link code is to do it from a computer or at least that is the only way I could figure it out.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:

I believe the only way to get the proper direct link code is to do it from a computer or at least that is the only way I could figure it out.

I'm using an iPad. Is that the problem?

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I believe so I can't get the proper code needed on my iPhone just my desktop.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Well I just went to Imgur.com, not the App, from my iPhone now and was able to select a direct link now? Confused

Now that I think about, seeing the size of the image I posted, it it was the ability to adjust the size of image from phone. Roll Eyes

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Select (tap, click, whatever) the photo that you want to upload. A window like this should pop up:

As indicated, use the "Direct Link" to obtain a URL suitable for inserting into the forum's "Image URL"; or, you can just select "BBCode (message boards and forums)" which will wrap img tags are around the URL so that it can be directly pasted into a post.

I can't think of any reason why imgur wouldn't work on an iPad.

---

As for http://postimages.org/, I'm also getting the "invalid JSON response from server" error message when I try to upload a photo. This may be a temporary issue, but I question their long term viability without a successful transformation to a subscription based model.

As for tinypic, a Photobucket company, Photobucket is obviously having financial problems or else they would not have resorted to a ransomware business model. I'd be getting photos off both sites while you still can.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post