SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question re Apple Software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re Apple Software Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
In the Apple systems, iOS for iThings and OS X for computers, autocorrect is sometimes a royal pain, making changes that I sometimes don't notice.

Are there preference settings in iOS and / or OS X that will highlight Apple's notion of spelling errors but will not change them without a user's consent? If so, where are these settings found?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
For Mac OS X:
Open "System Preferences"
Choose "Keyboard" & then "Text"
Uncheck "Correct spelling automatically"

For iOS
Got to "Settings"
Select "Keyboard"
Scroll down & turn off "Auto-Correction"

Hope this helps.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
mrbill345 is more on the ball than I am.

Here's the screen- I had the same problem. I deal with US and UK folks. Colour, centre, fibre, etc. always gets switched if I don't change dictionaries.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I haven't tried it yet in iOS, but the System Preferences suggestion for OS X did not work. I opened a new window in TextEdit and typed something with deliberate misteaks sic and they were auto-corrected. So, no joy for that solution.

However, I did find that in many apps, the drop-down menu for "Edit" includes a "Spelling and Grammar" item with a sub-menu that does just what I want: it will allow me to turn spelling and grammar checks on or off, and also provides an on / off choice for auto-correction of spelling errors. Perfect! It can point out what the system thinks are errors, but let me decide whether or not to change them instead of doing the change automatically. Exactly what I was looking for. The downside is that these settings need to be done in each individual app; I was looking for a system-wide solution, but this is certainly workable.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post