SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for you statin and CoQ10 takers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for you statin and CoQ10 takers Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
A side nite, do you guys like the "movie in your mind" kind of dreams that sometimes accompanies nightly taken statins?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
I take both with my evening meal. Don't have any dreams associated with taking this. My dreams are more dependent with how well I'm sleeping. The deeper/better I sleep the more likely I'll dream.

Posts: 273 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
CoEnzymeQ10 was developed by Merck in 1956 and since they could not patent it, they sold the rights to the Japanese 1974.

Nobody had ever heard of CoQ10 until 1956 when scientists at the University of Wisconsin isolated a crystalline compound from beef heart mitochondria. They sent the sample to Folkers, who then was head of a biochemical research team at Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories in Rahway, N.J. It was Folkers who determined the chemical structure of the substance, which is found in high concentrations in the heart, liver, kidney and pancreas.

Scientists subsequently noted that CoQ10 levels were well below normal in patients who suffered from a wide variety of ailments, including heart disease, cancer and muscular dystrophy. One study of more than 1,000 heart attack patients, for example, found that their blood and tissue levels of the substance were markedly lower than those of healthy people.

Nonetheless, it was years before anybody conducted a major study of CoQ10, because no one could obtain enough of it. Although CoQ10 is present in nearly all foods, as well as human and animal tissues, it was difficult and costly the extract.

Then in 1974 researchers at the Japanese company Nisshin found a way to produce CoQ10 from an ingredient found in tobacco. That discovery was followed in 1977 by development of fermentation methods to make the substance. The researchers called the coenzyme Ubidecarenone and began marketing it as a cardiovascular medicine. By 1982, Ubidecarenone had become one of the top-five-selling drugs in Japan, consumed daily by more than 6 million Japanese. The following year, the Life Extension Foundation introduced CoQ10 to the U.S. public, promoting it as essential for health and longevity.

"Although I have no statistics to prove it, I'd say that today sales of CoQ10 are definitely on the increase," says Judy, a physiologist who has conducted three clinical trials of the substance with cardiac patients.

And it's no wonder that more people are taking CoQ10, considering the staggering range of ailments it may be effective in treating.
Cancer

Folkers and other researchers initially began studying CoQ10 as a treatment for heart disease. Then, after they treated cardiac patients who also had cancer, they discovered that the substance might have significant use in combating tumors.

One patient, for example, took CoQ10 and went for nine years without suffering any symptoms of heart disease or cancer. Other patients remained symptom-free of both diseases for 10 and 15 years.

Another case involved a 44-year-old woman whose breast cancer has spread to her liver. Doctors began giving the woman a daily dose of CoQ10. Several months later her liver tumors disappeared, and the cancer had not spread anywhere else in her body.

But the most compelling cancer study to date was conducted at a private clinic in Denmark and reported in 1994. Thirty-two patients with breast cancer were given a mixture of antioxidants (including vitamins C, E, beta-carotene and selenium), fatty acids and 90 mg of CoQ10. After a month, six of the women showed signs of partial remission. Doctors increased the dosage to 390 mg. A month later, one woman's tumor had disappeared.

"I had never seen a spontaneous complete regression of a breast tumor with any conventional anti-tumor therapy," says Knud Lockwood, one of the principle researchers in the study.

But CoQ10 isn't limited to treating heart disease and cancer. As researchers are discovering, it may hold the key to treating a variety of other diseases as well.

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...0/research97/Page-01

CoEnzyme Q10 has also been shown to be anti-aging and benefit the kidneys and liver.

CoQ10 is already well-known for its ability to protect cells from damage, and for its remarkable effects against common heart ailments and neurological disorders.

What you might not know is that CoQ10 is absolutely essential for normal mitochondrial function (namely, the production and transfer of energy).1-3

Studies have found that when cells or organisms are deficient in CoQ10, it results in increased mitochondrial oxidative stress and accelerated aging.1,4 Supplementation with the right form of CoQ10 has been shown to slow aging in the animal model and extend life span.5,6

One study showed that rats supplemented with CoQ10 experience an 11.7% increase in average life span.40 In human terms, based on today’s life expectancy of 78.8 years, this translates to a more than nine-year increase in life span.41

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...0-Efficiency/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...996/2/report/Page-01

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My doctor has me on a low dose (10mg) of Lipitor, that I take before bed.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Rosuvastatin: morning or night?

From what they said either as the effectiveness would be the same.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you would like an actual expert medical opinion, here is what a doctor from the Mayo Clinic has written and is up on their website:

quote:
Can coenzyme Q10 reduce the risk of side effects from statins?

Answers from Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, M.D.
At this time, coenzyme Q10 isn't universally recommended for preventing side effects from cholesterol-lowering drugs known as statins.

Examples of statins include:

Atorvastatin (Lipitor)
Fluvastatin (Lescol)
Lovastatin (Altoprev)
Pitavastatin (Livalo)
Pravastatin (Pravachol)
Rosuvastatin (Crestor)
Simvastatin (Zocor)
Although statins are well-tolerated by most people, they can cause muscle and joint aches. Statins have been found to reduce the amount of naturally occurring coenzyme Q10 in the body.

Because coenzyme Q10 plays a role in muscle cell energy production, some researchers have proposed that taking a coenzyme Q10 supplement might reduce the risk of muscle-related side effects.

Scientific studies to determine the effectiveness of coenzyme Q10 in reducing statin-related muscle pain have had mixed results. Some studies show a benefit while other studies show no effect.

Because coenzyme Q10 doesn't cause side effects for most people, your doctor might suggest a trial of it to see if it helps. Your doctor might also decrease the dose of your statin, try a different statin or switch you to a different type of cholesterol-lowering medication entirely.

That corresponds with my understanding from the last time I looked into this. CoQ10 looked very promising, but actual randomized controlled trials did not show the benefit expected in reducing side effects from statins. As the above article says, most people have no side effect from CoQ10, so I told patients it was fine to take, but couldn't actively recommend it due to lack of proven benefit.

A lot of treatments in medicine "should" work; a far smaller number have proven benefit greater than risk/cost.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After researching CoQ10 a fair amount I settled on taking Ubiquinol.

This is a concentrated form of CoQ10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post