SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for you statin and CoQ10 takers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for you statin and CoQ10 takers Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
My dad is a proponent of taking CoQ10 with a statin. I'm going to start. My question is when do you take it? I was told by the Dr it would be best to take the statin at night, so I do. When would it be best to take the CoQ10 in relation to the statin?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask your doctor or your pharmacist.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My doc has me take my statin before bed because performance is marginally better.

I take CoQ10 at lunch and have done so for many years. I take 200 mg because my doc said he has people below 150 lbs take 100 mg and people over 150 lbs take 200 mg. I can't remember why I take it at noon though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

I asked my magic 8 ball and it told me to ask here because tbe pharmacist has left for the day and ot takes 2 days to hear back from the doc.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My doc has me take my statin before bed because performance is marginally better.

I take CoQ10 at lunch and have done so for many years. I take 200 mg because my doc said he has people below 150 lbs take 100 mg and people over 150 lbs take 200 mg. I can't remember why I take it at noon though.

Thanks, I was looking for some real world experience!

Beth Greene

posted Hide Post
I believe that taking CoQ10 is only beneficial after a heart attack. What it does is help the mitochondria recover, so they do not die. When the mitochondria are damaged in a MI, they tend to die off. If the heart cells do not have enough working mitochondria, the cell is unable to convert oxygen and glucose into energy, so the cell dies.

I will double check this on Thursday, I work with a nutritionist who knows these things very to great detail.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I take my statin at night as prescribed. I take CoQ10 in the morning.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I take my statin (Crestor®) before bed and CoQ10 (Ubiquinol) during the day.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
I take my statin at night as prescribed. I take CoQ10 in the morning.

That is my routine as well.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There are two forms of CoQ10, Ubiquinone and Ubiquinol. Ubiquinol is the newest form (2007) and easier to absorb but more expensive but worth it.

CoQ10 is the fuel that runs the heart and is needed if you are taken a statin and if you have congested heart failure. It is best to take it with food in the morning. I take 100mg/day just for maintenance purposes. Magnesium is also good to take for your heart.

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...uper-Ubiquinol-CoQ10

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...nd-Release-Magnesium

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

I asked my magic 8 ball and it told me to ask here because tbe pharmacist has left for the day and ot takes 2 days to hear back from the doc.

Gotcha. My reasoning was that regardless of how anyone else does it, they know your condition and might have reasons for timing for you.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Can't really help, because I don't take statins. But I do take CoQ10.

It is my understanding that, with exceptions, vitamins and nutritional supplements are best taken in conjunction with food. I take my CoQ10 in the morning, right after whatever breakfast/nutrition/energy/what-have-you bar I consume.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take em at the same time between dinner and bed.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I was placed on a statin right after my open heart surgery. I took the statin at night, but I'd also take the CoQ10 with my A.M and P.M pills.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have just been informed that CoQ10 is also for preventive measures, esp. those who are on statins. Statins block CoQ10 receptors in heart muscle, and so taking a supplement is very important.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my doc prescribed Simvistatin I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist insisted I take CoQ10. I take the Statin at night and the CoQ10 at breakfast.

When the doc advised me to take the statin I objected and he said, "When I started here, 20 years ago, virtually all of my patients were suffering with heart disease. Kaiser (the HMO) started an aggressive program to get people on statins. Today, I would say fewer than 30% of my patients are suffering from heart disease".

I haven't noticed any negative side effects.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unbelievable. Frown ...I am 75 and don't take any drugs. We need to reform the FDA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Found this which I thought was interesting.

simvastatin (Zocor)
lovastatin (Altoprev, Mevacor)
fluvastatin (Lescol XL)
atorvastatin (Lipitor)
pitavastatin (Livalo)
pravastatin (Pravachol)
rosuvastatin (Crestor)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I previously took the Sams club brand of CoQ10 at night but stopped a couple months ago. The other niggt when I asked the question I had just picked up a bottle of Ubiquinol of which I took my first dose of in the morning. My dad who is 80 is a big proponent of the stuff.

Beth Greene

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Found this which I thought was interesting.

simvastatin (Zocor)
lovastatin (Altoprev, Mevacor)
fluvastatin (Lescol XL)
atorvastatin (Lipitor)
pitavastatin (Livalo)
pravastatin (Pravachol)
rosuvastatin (Crestor)
Rosuvastatin: morning or night?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post