SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a shop flashlight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a shop flashlight Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a flashlight that is stable enough that I can place on the floor, able to aim the light beam and puts out a good amount of light. What are plumbers, electricians and A/C installers using when needing a light source?

Situation came up where I needed to climb under the sink to do some plumbing work and the headlamp wasn't cutting it. I needed a light that I could shine directly on my work problem constantly and free my hands. Same thing when I needed to get into a crawl space under the house and change a duct, again, needed a light to shine right on the work problem. I used to have a 12v lantern that filled the role but, it's housing is broken and doesn't put out enough light compared to modern LEDs, not to mention finding batteries can be a PIA.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Don't know what cordless tools you have, but a friend of mine has one of these Milwaukee lights, and I will have one eventually. Thing is really neat in its design. And 'Low' mode is about all I think I'd likely ever need for what I work on.

Milwaukee M12 Flood Light

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slyde King- retractable shop light or flashlight in one, even has red light as well, nice flashlight as well, rechargable lion battery with a mini usb charger. Battery lasts 4-8 hours on shoplight and the flashlight beam is adjustable and LED, $30 has a magnet on the base as well. I've dropped mine in saltwater and it didn't even effect it.

https://www.amazon.com/slyde-k...%20king%20flashlight

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Slyde King- retractable shop light or flashlight in one, even has red light as well, nice flashlight as well, rechargable lion battery with a mini usb charger. Battery lasts 4-8 hours on shoplight and the flashlight beam is adjustable and LED, $30 has a magnet on the base as well. I've dropped mine in saltwater and it didn't even effect it.

I saw one of these last week and ordered 3 off ebay. Under $20 but you have to wait for the boat ride.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Do you have any cordless tools?

I have a bunch of lights but for work, I use the Dewalt one that takes the same batteries as my tools.

I really wish Dewalt to pick up their game in lighting. I like what Milwaukee has done but I'm too invested in Dewalt.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Don't know what cordless tools you have, but a friend of mine has one of these Milwaukee lights, and I will have one eventually. Thing is really neat in its design. And 'Low' mode is about all I think I'd likely ever need for what I work on.

Great Idea.
I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18 and M12 stuff already. Cool

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mil...rn-2362-20/205410811 Also make great emergency lights when the power goes out.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I use this one with my M18 Battery. If you have any M18 Milwaukee stuff...
Pretty good. Head tilts, heavy battery on the bottom holds it upright well. Head swivels 90° from straight forward to straight up. The on - off switch is under your trigger finger, just like a drill, so it's easy to click on or off when holding.

Only negative I note is the light beam is a set focus.

https://smile.amazon.com/Milwa...s=m18+flashlight#Ask

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm looking for a flashlight that is stable enough that I can place on the floor, able to aim the light beam and puts out a good amount of light. What are plumbers, electricians and A/C installers using when needing a light source?

most of the subs we use have headlamps when working in attic, or confined spaces. we have a few carpenters that will want to work early or late and use headlamps as well.

seems convenient as it frees up both hands and will light up what you are looking at.

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I saw one of these last week and ordered 3 off ebay. Under $20 but you have to wait for the boat ride.

I believe the regular Slyde is $20, it takes 3 AAA batteries and is a touch smaller, I have a couple of these. I have several of these. I have 2 Slyde Kings which have the built in rechargeable LION battery. Both work very good.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/shoppin...e389QCFZa6wAodf9gHLQ

Use this one at work it is bright and you can hang it or roll it till it's pointed where you need it

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Milwaukee v18 lights. Not complex, very durable, easy to use and being able to swap batteries is a real plus. There is hook in the handle that makes it easy to hang when needed. With the LED bulb the battery lasts,but with spare batteries that you already have there are no worries.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a streamlight knucklehead for the long run. On most projects the magnet is the way to go (like on a car) but for plumbing you can clip, hang or stand.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Milwaukee flood light is pretty trick but, the adjustable head on the 12v might be the one.

Thanks for the pointers all.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing better than this right here (available in yellow or orange):
https://www.zoro.com/streamlig...ge-45131/i/G1454424/

Sit it on its bottom or stand it up straight. Swivel head puts the light where you need it. AC/DC charging and a quick release charging cradle.

Strong enough to grab and put your body weight on it as you crawl through the crawlspace.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Ordered one after seeing this ... thanks.
Just got it in, may have to just order another.
LOVE IT. Cool

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post