SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore Police Officers Required to Be on 12-Hour Shifts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore Police Officers Required to Be on 12-Hour Shifts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
We ran a Navy 2-2-2 and 80 (modified). They could work part, but not all, of their off time.

We ran that at the transmitter site at Annapolis when I was there. The 80 was nice if you could stand the double-backs...I never could get used to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
"Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh asked the FBI for help in combating the city’s murder problem as the city faced an officer shortage resulting from budget cuts and policy changes."

The Freddie Gray fiasco has come to fruition.

You reap what you sow.

Problem is, many/most don't connect the sad results with the poor choices they made that led to those results. They blame nature, fate, or Republicans.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC

I did it for the last 17 years..12 hours suck but the 2 on 2 off with a sliding weekend allowed the officer to schedule his life around work. e

They aren't doing a 2/2 schedule. If they were there would be no extra coverage.

Somebody told me their regular schedule is 4/10 that they are now working as 4/12... Plus extra days.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No one wants these jobs anymore. We're giving a test tomorrow. I think 20 people signed up. Our pay is good. No one wants to work for us because: Hours suck. Admin sucks.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
No one wants these jobs anymore. We're giving a test tomorrow. I think 20 people signed up. Our pay is good. No one wants to work for us because: Hours suck. Admin sucks.

I think with most jobs, not just LE jobs, you can deal with bad customers/clients because there will always be bad ones. But when it comes to bad administrators/bosses, that's a battle you'll never win.

It destroys the morale of an organization which in turns destroys productivity.

Pre-Trump, it was 8 years of war on the police. It's going to take a lot of work to reverse what happened.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
12 hour shifts are hard on officers.

Plus, what are the chances of getting off in 12 hours? 0

I did it for the last 17 years..12 hours suck but the 2 on 2 off with a sliding weekend allowed the officer to schedule his life around work. We worked a weird shift once that no one could keep track of and we worked 5 days in a row before a break...use of force was thru the roof and drpped wayyyyy off when we started the Modified Dupont schedule

That is a very significant fact.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Baltimore police salaries for FY2016

1,011 police grossed over 100k

119 grossed over 150k

https://data.baltimorecity.gov...Y2016/evsk-6ys8/data

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

1,011 police grossed over 100k

119 grossed over 150k

https://data.baltimorecity.gov...Y2016/evsk-6ys8/data

Yes, they make plenty of money. That's not an issue. A good friend works homicide and brings in what a GS14 (federal side) in the DC/Baltimore area makes.

A bigger issue is the people who abuse disability. My friend who's a Major told me the story of his first job as a LT. He had people on his books that no one even knew where they were. One guy had been on disability and collecting a check for over a year without coming to work. Come to find out, the guy moved to FLORIDA and started a landscaping company. This is the kind of crap that goes on.

Recently there's been a big push on falsifying overtime. There's a huge problem with that because no one verifies anything. It's a free for all. Only a complete take over from another organization would truly fix all of the problems, but that would never happen.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

1,011 police grossed over 100k . . . . 119 grossed over 150k . . .

Yes, they make plenty of money. That's not an issue. A good friend works homicide and brings in what a GS14 (federal side) in the DC/Baltimore area makes.

A bigger issue is the people who abuse disability. . . . Recently there's been a big push on falsifying overtime. . . .

A couple of thoughts.

One of our former employees worked for the GM Nummi plant before he came with us. He mentioned they had union employees who would go on disability for a couple of years when there was nothing wrong with them. One employee had a two year paid maternity leave (???).

Recently there was a news report re BART in San Francisco. They had a custodian that made something like $200K, much of it overtime. Their security showed the fellow sleeping much of the time he was on the clock. BART's response was along the lines of "so what".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
We ran a Navy 2-2-2 and 80 (modified). They could work part, but not all, of their off time.

We ran that at the transmitter site at Annapolis when I was there. The 80 was nice if you could stand the double-backs...I never could get used to it.
\

Swing backs were killers.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
in my experience bad management and low pay join forces to create this kind of manpower shortage, but mostly low pay

In my experience, when a corrupt state attorney chants, "This is our time", and then brings serious charges against several honorable police officers who did nothing more than do their job, you'll find that a precedent is set, and good proactive police officers would rather sit in their patrol cars and talk baseball scores, while collecting a paycheck, than do actual police work.

I gauran-damn-t you that 98% of the officers in that city have basically retired on duty and are doing the least amount possible. Clock in, clock out. Try not to get fired/shot/arrested in the process.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
in my experience bad management and low pay join forces to create this kind of manpower shortage, but mostly low pay

Other way around.

People quit bosses, not jobs or pay.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

In my experience, when a corrupt state attorney chants, "This is our time", and then brings serious charges against several honorable police officers who did nothing more than do their job, you'll find that a precedent is set, and good proactive police officers would rather sit in their patrol cars and talk baseball scores, while collecting a paycheck, than do actual police work.

I gauran-damn-t you that 98% of the officers in that city have basically retired on duty and are doing the least amount possible. Clock in, clock out. Try not to get fired/shot/arrested in the process.

Agree 100%

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

Agree 100%

It is closer to say they are both pieces of the puzzle. You will have a hard time hiring people for low pay. Once they are there though, it is a cruddy work environment (almost always due to lousy manglement) that pushes them out the door.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Let the criminals kill each other. work on Protecting the productive ppl.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from Baltimore being a typical city run by crooks, this all goes back to Martin O'Malley deciding that he could be President.

O'Malley needed to get crime down in the city so that he could make a case to be governor. So every weekend he would have the police lock up as many black men as possible in order to prevent them from killing each other.

You get locked up, whether you deserve it or not, and it makes you jaded against the police. Lock up enough people and you have an entire community that is jaded against the police.

Freddie Gray was the match that was needed to ignite the entire tinderbox.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:

Other way around.

People quit bosses, not jobs or pay.

I really agree with this. People seem to have an inherent sense that when the situation is good, the pay is good enough.

A bad boss is the tip of the iceberg in a miserable existence.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post