SIGforum
Baltimore Police Officers Required to Be on 12-Hour Shifts

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5170087524

June 15, 2017, 05:38 PM
olfuzzy
Baltimore Police Officers Required to Be on 12-Hour Shifts
Another city that's getting it's just due.
Now calling for help from the FBI.

Baltimore’s police commissioner is now requiring all officers to be on 12-hour shifts as violence increases in the city.
The police department announced the plan after the city experienced episodes of violence that started Monday evening and continued over into Tuesday, leaving six dead and a total of 12 people shot, WJZ reported.

“Quite frankly it pisses off the community, it angers us, it frustrates us,” Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said of the violence in Baltimore.

A 28-year-old man who died during a drug dispute, a 37-year-old woman murdered in a bullying incident, and a man and a woman in their twenties killed in a quadruple shooting were among the victims.

The commissioner said the new requirement would be in effect through the weekend at a minimum, and patrol officers, detectives, and administrative officers are all required to patrol the streets for 12-hour shifts effective immediately.

He added that he believes the violence stems from drugs, guns, and gangs.

Baltimore’s increasing murder rate has posed a problem for the city.

The Baltimore Sun reported that “one out of every 2,000 [Baltimore] residents was killed in 2016,” a total of 318 people. The paper added that the year before, in 2015, the city recorded 344 homicides in the city’s deadliest year on record.

Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh asked the FBI for help in combating the city’s murder problem as the city faced an officer shortage resulting from budget cuts and policy changes.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-violence-increases/
June 15, 2017, 05:49 PM
HayesGreener
in my experience bad management and low pay join forces to create this kind of manpower shortage, but mostly low pay

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
June 15, 2017, 06:15 PM
220-9er
Trying to compete with Chicago now.

June 15, 2017, 06:19 PM
wcb6092
"Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh asked the FBI for help in combating the city’s murder problem as the city faced an officer shortage resulting from budget cuts and policy changes."

The Freddie Gray fiasco has come to fruition.

You reap what you sow.

June 15, 2017, 06:25 PM
ulsterman
12 hour shifts are hard on officers.

Plus, what are the chances of getting off in 12 hours? 0
June 15, 2017, 07:06 PM
comet24
quote:

Which stems from cops not being able to be cops.

I was talking to a FedEx drive the other day. He used to be a Baltimore City cop. Said he quite because he was tired of getting spit on and not being able to do anything.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
June 15, 2017, 07:19 PM
MikeinNC
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

I did it for the last 17 years..12 hours suck but the 2 on 2 off with a sliding weekend allowed the officer to schedule his life around work. We worked a weird shift once that no one could keep track of and we worked 5 days in a row before a break...use of force was thru the roof and drpped wayyyyy off when we started the Modified Dupont schedule

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
June 15, 2017, 07:51 PM
indigoss
The FBI should tell the commissioner they are helping by compiling all those criminal stats ....now fuck off. I feel bad for the cops but the chief is simply a political puppet. Karma is a bitch.
June 15, 2017, 08:19 PM
Fredward
Didn't they just prosecute cops for doing their jobs, and tie their hands over "stop and frisk?" I think maybe they wanted "racist cops" to go away. They got what they asked for.
June 15, 2017, 08:50 PM
John Steed
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

Which stems from cops not being able to be cops.

I was talking to a FedEx drive the other day. He used to be a Baltimore City cop. Said he quite because he was tired of getting spit on and not being able to do anything.
Where are Obama, Holder, and Lynch? They created this mess.

... stirred anti-clockwise.
June 15, 2017, 09:28 PM
rscalzo
quote:

Next year the same media will run an article on how much overtime some of them made this year.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
June 15, 2017, 11:30 PM
SIGguy229
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-violence-increases/

2/3 of those things are inanimate objects. That kind of narrows the causes of violence. I recommend eliminating gangs.
June 16, 2017, 12:47 AM
car541
Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.......

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown
June 16, 2017, 05:37 AM
John Steed
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Next year the same media will run an article on how much overtime some of them made this year.
After waiting a year or so, the same media will blame the problems on Trump, racism, and "hate speech".

... stirred anti-clockwise.
June 16, 2017, 05:49 AM
Skins2881
quote:
quote:

They just did three months ago.....

"We want to root out corruption and crime in our city," Pugh said. "When you think about the overtime these individuals have been allowed to accumulate, that's taking money from the citizens of Baltimore."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
June 16, 2017, 06:47 AM
Yellow Jacket
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

They just did three months ago.....

"We want to root out corruption and crime in our city," Pugh said. "When you think about the overtime these individuals have been allowed to accumulate, that's taking money from the citizens of Baltimore."

Pugh apparently thinks she can get the FBI to help police the city for free.

I hope the FBI tells her to go pound sand.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70
June 16, 2017, 07:30 AM
ulsterman
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

I did it for the last 17 years..12 hours suck but the 2 on 2 off with a sliding weekend allowed the officer to schedule his life around work. We worked a weird shift once that no one could keep track of and we worked 5 days in a row before a break...use of force was thru the roof and drpped wayyyyy off when we started the Modified Dupont schedule

We ran a Navy 2-2-2 and 80 (modified). They could work part, but not all, of their off time.
June 16, 2017, 07:39 AM
HayesGreener
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Didn't they just prosecute cops for doing their jobs, and tie their hands over "stop and frisk?" I think maybe they wanted "racist cops" to go away. They got what they asked for.

I believe strongly that every community gets precisely the quality of policing they deserve. As the Duke said in True Grit, they complain when "the ratkiller is too hard on he rats", well, there you go.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
June 16, 2017, 07:42 AM
AirmanJeff
quote:
quote:

Next year?! Hell, the Sun prints articles almost weekly bitching about how much overtime BPD officers are getting. But then the next article following will bitch about the out of control crime. Can't have it both ways, but liberals are too stupid to understand this concept.

I know many BPD officers, from Major all the way down. They all say that morale is completely in the dumps, and you can thank Marilyn Mosby for that. The major blow has come in the last year - they have had hundreds of retirements with hardly any recruits to fill those vacancies. It's a complete disaster and started over the death of some career criminal who contributed nothing to society.
June 16, 2017, 07:44 AM
sdy
adding: airmanjeff and I were on the same wavelength

quote:

didn't take a year.

https://baltimorebrew.com/2017...on-wont-say-by-whom/

rank-and-file officers can accrue, through overtime, pay in excess of $150,000 a year

Police Commissioner Kevin Davis placed the blame for soaring overtime – as of May 27, it was at $41.2 million and could go up to $45 million before the 2017 fiscal year ends on June 30 – on the contract that former Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake struck with the Fraternal Order of Police.

The change from five 8-hour workweeks to four 10-hour workweeks required a full complement of officers and supervisors to be effective, he said. But instead of adding to the ranks, hundreds of jobs were left vacant so the city could recoup the 13% wage increase under the contract.

and the topic they like to avoid:

http://www.abc2news.com/news/i...0-officers-this-year

Hiring more than 200 officers is a lofty goal compared to years past. In 2014, the department hired 184 officers. In 2015, that number fell to 91. By the end of 2015, the department had 229 vacancies.

“Let’s really not kid ourselves about attrition. So over the last couple of years, our attrition rate, the number of people resigning, the number of people quitting, the number of people retiring has exceeded our hiring rate,” said Commissioner Davis.

He added that the department took a hit following the riots and unrest surrounding Freddie Gray's death.