SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Naval Officer gone overboard...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Naval Officer gone overboard... Login/Join 
posted
Apparently, the Chief Engineer, gone missing at sea.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...missing-at-sea.html?

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have they made a thorough search of the engine room?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Have they made a thorough search of the engine room?

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Is that the Navy equivalent of "fragging" an incompetent officer?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he was a real asshole? I sure hope it didn't go down that way, but I've heard stories.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If he's been in for 8 years, shouldn't he be more than an alt?

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lot's of places to hide on a ship.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
If he's been in for 8 years, shouldn't he be more than an lt?

Probably an Engineering Limited Duty Officer (Former enlisted).

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 644 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Citadel graduate, so he was not a Mustang. I wonder if any one checked the main reduction gears!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
He was commissioned in 2009 and only a lieutenant, but he was already the ship's chief engineer?

I find that interesting. I've never served in an officer capacity aboard a Navy vessel despite 15 years in the Navy Reserves so have questions about how billets are chosen, particularly in the engine department. When I finally got my Unlimited chief engineer license (Merchant Marine), the Navy offered me a promotion to Lieutenant Commander. I assumed there was a minimum rank required to serve the function of Chief Engineer aboard a Navy ship.

Even in the Merchant Marine, simply having the credentials doesn't mean a company will hire you to be the chief engineer. Experience and knowledge count just as much.

Then again, it could just be crappy reporting by the media as usual.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
You are an LT for 5 years. 2 years to LTJG and another 2 to LT, so the math is about right. Department heads on DDGs are usually senior LT/LCDR selects.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A lot of "only a Lt." remarks above.

Not sure whether the authors of those posts know, but Navy Lieutanant is O-3, same level as Captain in the other services. Next step up is Lieutenant Commander (same level as Major in the other service branches).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
ChENG on a carrier is a lcdr or cdr but I can see it being a lt on a small boy.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A lot of "only a Lt." remarks above.

Not sure whether the authors of those posts know, but Navy Lieutanant is O-3, same level as Captain in the other services. Next step up is Lieutenant Commander (same level as Major in the other service branches).

I'm aware of that. My comment was in regards to him being a chief engineer and only a LT.

On a Merchant vessel, the chief engineer is essentially second only to the Captain and in many ways is his equal. An 03 is pretty much a guaranteed rank in the Navy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I did 7 deployments in DD'S, DDG'S, and CG'S. A LT was CHENG on all of them.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Citadel graduate, so he was not a Mustang. I wonder if any one checked the main reduction gears!

Just a tidbit, one can attend the academies/Citadel/VMI/regular ROTC having been prior enlisted. There are multiple programs for it, though I don't remember the specific details. I'd expect you'd have to be selected for the program during your first enlistment, as there are age limits.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

Just a tidbit, one can attend the academies/Citadel/VMI/regular ROTC having been prior enlisted. There are multiple programs for it, though I don't remember the specific details. I'd expect you'd have to be selected for the program during your first enlistment, as there are age limits.

The inference is he was a ROTC graduate. A few of them might be slight prior enlisted, not really "mustangs" as that term is generally meant. Example, I had 5 years as reserve radioman, no active duty, before receiving a commission through OCS, and would not be thought of as a mustang.

My brother enlisted in the Reserve for about a year before Regular Navy ROTC.

There used to be a program for active duty enlisted to attend college, get a degree and then a commission through OCS, called NESEP.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Is his name Scotty?

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's the Chief that really runs the department anyway.

Hope he wasn't wearing that stupid blue multicam.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suicide??

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post