SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just wondering what the home auto mechanics are using for a lift?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just wondering what the home auto mechanics are using for a lift? Login/Join 
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
A couple of other things to note about the wildfire vs the Advantage.

The steel ramps are strong for sure but they are HEAVY. The aluminum ramps are built more than well enough to handle the vehicle driving up over them and will be much easier to move in and out between uses. I'm not sure about Wildfire but Advantage offers a 48 inch aluminum approach ramp as an option instead of the 36 standard pieces if you need a better approach angle. I swapped mine out and the longer ramps have been great for my low cars.

Wildfire only has one or two warehouses that they ship from as opposed to Advantage with 5, including one relatively close to the Northeast, in eastern PA which makes shipping and installation a bit easier / cheaper if you live on the east coast.

Advantage lifts upgraded their runways recently with flapper plates rather than removable fixed position plate metal stops. When loading or unloading a vehicle, you can just slip the ramp under the flapper plate and go. No need to remove two steel plates and set them aside, then out them back. From the looks of it, a large truck or SUV would have no problem driving up and over the flapper plate onto the lift without the ramps although I haven't tried it yet with my Jeep. They're also removable if you want so that the ramps can be hooked directly into the lift as well.

Just some thoughts from all the research I had done. I think all three are good products.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Lots of great info guys, thanks. Lots of good points LBAR.

Good video NHRA, thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to build the ARI lifts, welding and assembly and wiring. Funny enough Verizon used to buy these things by the hundreds from us

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What am I using...concrete floor, two floor jacks, four jack stands, and my aching back. Oh to have the room for a lift...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I used to build the ARI lifts, welding and assembly and wiring. Funny enough Verizon used to buy these things by the hundreds from us

For what? Server racks?

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
What am I using...concrete floor, two floor jacks, four jack stands, and my aching back. Oh to have the room for a lift...

This is my method. I am about 24 mounts out (hopefully) from a garage addition that will allow me to install a lift. However, I've been saying 24 months for the last few years...

Back in my youth I worked at a gas station/repair shop. We had 2 - in-ground single center post lifts. I was spoiled. Man I miss those days.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Can someone please explain the symmetric vs asymmetric? Oh I know what the words mean Big Grin.
But in this context why would you prefer/need one vs the other.

Thanks

https://www.asedeals.com/blog/...-two-post-lifts.html

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

For what? Server racks?

Apparently for their trucks, a lot of them too. Coca Cola bought a hundred or so from us as well.
These are lift systems meant for heavy duty things like fire trucks and semis and even bull dozers.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
And once again, there goes my dream of a lift. 04 Cummins Dodge lost reverse. Just heard from tranny shop. Rebuild coming up! MFucker! Second rebuild on the 48RE piece of shit in 246k miles. There goes my lift money....again.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Get your lift and pull the tranny yourself! Just get the shop to do a "bench job", which means you pull it.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Way beyond the realm of possibility there GTO.

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
And once again, there goes my dream of a lift. 04 Cummins Dodge lost reverse. Just heard from tranny shop. Rebuild coming up! MFucker! Second rebuild on the 48RE piece of shit in 246k miles. There goes my lift money....again.

That absolutely sucks, sorry to hear it.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post