SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How did your "empty nest" experiance go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How did your "empty nest" experiance go? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It was fine... it is the object of the game after all...

...was quite satisfying to see them independent and to be reminded of the energy and optimism of youth... you know, that I once had! Yes there will be mistakes made, guide advise and support, don't smother.

one can offset the void with some me, or us time. For example A vacation without the kids for the first time in a couple decades can be quite liberating! Resume that long forgotten hobby or try a new one.

But be warned! The nest tends to refill soon enough... now with 8 Grandkids and 2 Great Grandkids and all the connected babysitting, taxi service, kids sports games to attend etc. I still relish all the quite time I get.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
While not completely empty, we have one at college and one a year away. In my opinion it is not the empty nest that causes the split. The problems either exist or do not exist prior to the nest emptying. We still very much enjoy each other’s company, and will soon have time to travel together. I travel quite extensively for work, and never have much time to enjoy the perks of all my travel. It is a stage we both look forward to even though we will miss having the kids around.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
It was awesome!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were very sad when our oldest moved out.

No so much for the middle daughter because she was attending the same out of state college as here older sister + she was swimming in college so had a instant family.

When the youngest moved out, very sad but we adjusted. My wife and Inspend a lot of time together now, gym early in the morning, reading to each other, yard work...my best friend.

We love it when they come home to visit but, after about a week, itnis time fornthem to leave.

The youngest is here now on Spring Break, leaves tomorrow. He graduates in May and will commission as a 2nd Lt. in the Army.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Sucks. I have to take the garbage out and cut the grass.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I love it. If only my son would stay out. He's in and out about once every couple of months.

Fill his room with concrete

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
When the grandkids come for a week long visit the void is filled. By the end of the week you start to realize you have become accustomed to the peace and quiet in the house and you are ready for them to go home to Mom and Dad.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I wish............father in law moved IN........the nest is filling up Frown

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I love it. If only my son would stay out. He's in and out about once every couple of months.

Fill his room with concrete

Naked Room!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We had a going away celebration AFTER they left. Some clarification, "they" refers to daughter and S-I-L.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
It was AWESOME?

^^^^^ This. Kids are both gainfully employed, own homes, one has a great (2nd) wife. We love not having to always set the example; time is our own.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome. In her late teens and early twenty's my daughter was a party gal and did not take well to the lectures from her mother. She moved out around 19 I think.

She is now almost 31, a single mom, and we see her and our granddaughter every single weekend. She is my best friend and her and mom have never been closer. Sometimes it just takes a little time.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrible/awesome: Daughter went off to college in '06 when she walked out that door. Took two weeks for us to recover from that. Lost our son in '08 at 24. God got us through that. HE is so good and we know Matthew is with Him. BTW, ironic that tomorrow would have been our sons birthday. Daughter came home from college in '09 and three weeks later said she was moving to Tennessee and we said "cool, go get em girl". Always been independent and self reliant and is now successful and is truly Blessed. In '2012, retired, wife and I moved here to Tennessee and love it. Everything is fantastic. Buying a new home that is a blessing. Empty nest is great and sometimes we go through things in life but God gets you through them.
Just wanted to encourage all who get ready to go through this. Enjoy it and count your blessings.
Sorry, if I ranted too much.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are starting to talk about this as our youngest is 15 and already prepping for college.
It will be bittersweet

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
I had sorta thought this "empty nest" thing might happen to us, even if substantially delayed by most people's standard (my now-youngest is five) but now that my wife is pregnant, and I'm 53, I don't thing it's happening in my lifetime, lol.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
We had no sense of "loss" when our kids moved out, each after they finished high school. There have been some bumps and bruises, but they are all responsible adults, all live out of state.

There is some angst with the grandkids. We don't get to see them enough. Facetime is great.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Considering that my folks gave me a set of dishes for the Christmas before I was to graduate from high school, I think they probably handled the "empty nest" thing pretty well. Razz

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post