SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How did your "empty nest" experiance go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How did your "empty nest" experiance go? Login/Join 
posted
This was the topic at breakfast the other day ,

four couples had kids that have been dealing with all their kids being gone.

two are doing fine,just fine.
the other two , not so much, one couple have separated, the other couple are in counseling .

The grandma's and grandpa's at the breakfast never had a problem , or so they say.

I was the last to leave the nest and Mom ( then widowed) went round and around with me about moving out.

In my waning years, I understand completely, but at 20 , I was oblivious.

anyone here have troubles ? or was it all easy peasey ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It was AWESOME?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really missed my daughter for the first month or two when she went to college. After that, my wife and I adapted to a new routine and everything was fine.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I missed them, but texts and FaceTime helped. Now I get nearly daily photos texted about each of my kids kids. Not too hard.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The first couple of months were difficult, he is our only child. Barely slept during that time. But it became much better, now a normal way of life. Plus planning and executing our move from CA became the life saver.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I love it. If only my son would stay out. He's in and out about once every couple of months.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to mine Wink Will let you know in two years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We had 6 months as empty nesters. It was weird at first, but Mrs DF and I just focused on getting to know each other again. It was nice. I found my best friend again.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It was outstanding. We had to drive slowly not to pass our last one on the way out of the neighborhood as we embarked on a road trip same day!

We have, admittedly, always gotten along well and had made time for ourselves as important as that for our kids. A few friends we know how have really struggled after this phase starts have been the ones who previously bragged on their kids being the most important thing ever, never having spend a night away from their kids, never taken a trip without them, etc.

Perhaps that model sets folks up to be great parent/friends, but less good a couple after 18-25 years.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Took me a little while to get used to not having someone to blame things on and my wife wanting me to do things with her that used to do with the kids. Roll Eyes

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We miss them, but it is nice at the same time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Overall, toilet paper consumption has been cut in half.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Us, fantastic... we are traveling the world and - tell the kids to always knock before entering the house!

Besides, our nest isn't that empty.

3 cats and a dog suffice as surrogates.

Did I mention we're having a great time?

Lifew is good!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Mixed emotions, I'm sure like most. At first we missed having them around all the time terribly.

Now, couple of years later, we think it's great. Fortunately our two kids are local to us so we can see them and our son's growing family regularly.

I like having two fewer adults living in our home. Big Grin

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
It is going great! Loved both our boys and they and the grandchildren are always welcome but the wife and I are enjoying our time together!

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
four couples had kids that have been dealing with all their kids being gone.

two are doing fine,just fine.
the other two , not so much, one couple have separated, the other couple are in counseling .

The grandma's and grandpa's at the breakfast never had a problem , or so they say.

It is likely they are being truthful because they are like the first two couples.

The second two couples likely were having problems before the kids left and focused on the kids as a distraction from their issues.

Having your kids leave is like an alcoholic giving up drinking. You have to face the underlying issues/feelings that you've been avoiding

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My parents, particularly my mom had a rough time. I'm the youngest of 3 boys.

I see them every week and they don't live very far away, so it's easier on them now.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I was married 36 years before wife passed from cancer. Not all of it was perfect, and raising kids had a great deal to do with demands on personal time. Jump ahead to answer your question, it was one of the best periods the wife and I had together. For me, the role of my wife playing mother seemed to diametrically oppose whether she had the time to just be wifey.

I have seen others split when it was one of the only things that a couple was staying together for.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We (i.e. my wife, and I through her complaints) worried a lot, and had to help support, two of our kids after they left home. Not their fault, illnesses that affected their ability to work. It all got WAY better after they married. The middle child, a son, is a boomerang kid, still dealing with that. When we were living away from the kids in Maui, my wife and I got along just great--"out of sight, out of mind"--but then--boomerang!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was sad when the youngest moved out, but he had been at College for 4 years.
We just make sure we have a lot of contact with the kids and now with their kids. It is the natural progression of life, so we dealt with it like all things. It was harder than some, but a lot easier than most to deal with.
The wife and I get along better than ever.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post