SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago Police Officer shot and killed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Police Officer shot and killed Login/Join 
posted
Commander Paul Bauer of the Chicago Police Department was shot and killed today as he assisted in apprehending a suspicious man. More info as it becomes available. RIP sir.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bulldog7972,

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Commander Bower, EOD. Prayers for you and your family will be added to my prayer list.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
RIP brother.

quote:
At the beginning of the chase, an officer is heard saying over the radio that he had tried to stop the suspect but he took off running. "He took off, he was running from me, we just had a shooting the other day," the officer radioed.

He described the suspect as wearing a long black coat with a fur collar and last seen running south on Dearborn Street. Within a minute, another officer said he saw the man. He told a dispatcher he was near Clark and Lake streets, “State of Illinois building towards City Hall.”

It was the last thing heard from the officer. The dispatcher asked, repeatedly, over the course of more than three minutes for the officer to come back on the air. There was no response.

The first officer came back on the air and said, “Don’t anybody get hurt. We just wanted to do a street stop on him and he took off on me. But he was in the area where we’ve had a lot of narcotics sales and a shooting on Saturday.”

The dispatcher replied, "I understand, but somebody else is following him and we want to make sure we get him help.”

A different officer came on the air and said they found the suspect and had him in handcuffs. They said the suspect had a gun on him.

The original officer came back on the air reporting a person had been shot. “We have a person shot in the stairwell. Possibly related to the guy we were chasing at the State of Illinois building.”

The dispatcher said, “OK, is that an off-duty PO (police officer)?”

“There’s a radio laying (cq) next to him. Oh s---. Squad, I need somebody over here ASAP. It is.”

Dispatcher: “We have a 10-1, we have an off-duty shot. We have units on the scene.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I am in shock. This man was my Commander. Not only was he a great boss, but was a great man. He went out of his way to talk to you. If you had problems of any sort, he would go above and beyond to help. He was extremely well liked and easily one of the best bosses I've had in all my years on this job.

I just had a lengthy conversation with him about a Burglary pattern that was recently cleared up by our tact team. He went out of his way, which is almost all of the time, to thank us all about the job we were doing and how he truly appreciated all that we do.

He will be sorely missed. Prayers for his family. Frown

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Sad News.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m watching the local coverage now (WGN); there is a huge procession of police vehicles following the ambulance from the hospital to the medical examiners in the west loop. Gut-wrenching...

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this! RIP, Sir.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was ON duty. Doesn't matter because the police are never off duty. RIP sir

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP brother. Klusk, I am very sorry about your boss. This stuff is sucking bad.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear this.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Guys, I am so sorry for your loss.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
God Bless the men and women in Blue Frown

My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and all of the LEO's recently killed.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Sad news. My sincere condolences to my SIGforum CPD friends, both the ones I have met in person, and those I have not. When tragedy strikes close to home, it is always more deeply felt.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Saddened and outraged.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
He went out of his way, which is almost all of the time, to thank us all about the job we were doing and how he truly appreciated all that we do.

He will be sorely missed. Prayers for his family. Frown

I am so sorry for your loss. Those kind of bosses are few and far between in any profession, which is a shame. It is always the good ones that are lost too soon it seems.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saddens me when we lose a good guyFrown RIP Commander Paul Bauer.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im in the District just south of 018. In the district where he was shot.
It's a sad day for us. As Klusk said, Commander B was just a truly great person, and a phenomenal boss to work for.

Rest In Peace

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Commander Bauer. Judging from the comments above, I wonder if he was too kind and trusting. Perp got off multiple rounds, perhaps 5 from what a bystander stated.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180213-story.html

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Klusk, bulldog and CPD...

Sorry for your loss my friends. If I can help, feel free to reach out.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Terrible. Sorry to you guys that knew him. Sounds like a great man.

Was the suspect apprehended the one who shot him?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post