SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rand Paul nails it when it comes to rebuilding and the 20 trillion of debt with have
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rand Paul nails it when it comes to rebuilding and the 20 trillion of debt with have Login/Join 
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted
Rand argues that instead of sending aid overseas to people and countries that don't appreciate it, redirect it to rebuild the damage caused by Harvey and Irma.

https://www.facebook.com/Senat...os/1661238150595648/

You can see it even if you don't have Facebook because it's a public post.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I like the reference, "Washing has Dinosaur syndrome...big hearts, small brains". Big Grin

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It sure beats "just tax the rich" (along with everyone else). Frown

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
All foreign aid is many dollars but only about 1% of our annual spending, so while I agree with the sentiment (especially regarding hurricane affected areas) it won't make a dent in the debt.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
All foreign aid is many dollars but only about 1% of our annual spending, so while I agree with the sentiment (especially regarding hurricane affected areas) it won't make a dent in the debt.

Manipulating the discussion in their favor since foreign aid isn't the problem it's the other 99% of the spending.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased to say I voted for that guy. He's one of my Senators, and I'm proud of him.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I like the reference, "Washing has Dinosaur syndrome...big hearts, small brains". Big Grin

Using "Washington" as a whipping boy deflects attention from the idea that Congress, and "Washington," reflects rather accurately the people who vote for them.

Bitch about out of control spending and hideous debt levels all you want. Voters have accepted the idea that government must take care of all these problems, no matter what it costs. If a large number of Congressmen got really serious about spending and did something to get it under control, they would soon be replaced by those who were more in tune with the "will of the people."

All the theoretical discussions about debt ceilings, percentage of GDP, proportion of defense to nondefense spending, "guns and butter" fall by the wayside when the voters want their kids in college, an old folks home for the mother in law, health care that somebody pays for, a job, and mortgage payments that allow them 2 cars, the 72" flat screen, and paid utility bill, not necessarily in that order.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Killing it completely barely moves the needle. And to pretend we don't have overseas interests, and that this doesn't help with them is actively stupid.

if you REALLY want to bring down the budget deficit, you have to either cut or sufficiently fund the biggest programs, not the smallest. And the biggest include a lot of the sacred cows, like SS, Medicare, Medicaid, and the military. Don't pretend you care about the deficit without saying what you'll do about those.

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Manipulating the discussion in their favor since foreign aid isn't the problem it's the other 99% of the spending.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Hold on 1 minute. Did anyone watch the ~10 minute video? Rand Paul is talking about the $15 Billion in aid to residents of Texas from hurricane Harvey.

You are OK with just adding another $15 Billion to the deficit?

A Billion here, a Billion there, pretty soon you will be talking about real money.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
But Houston is one of the largest economies in the US at $503 Billion GDP as of 2015. There are something like 550K to 1M vehicles out of commission.

President Trump did not want to get in a fight over raising the budget at this time but the most important thing is to get the hurricane victims back on their feet as soon as possible. He gets things done his way. They can debate the budget ceiling for months or shut the Government down in December but Houston comes first.

Tomorrow, President Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, Vice Presdient Pence, and Mrs. Karen Pence will travel to Florida as part of Hurricane Irma’s recovery and relief efforts. On Friday, the President and First Lady will give remarks to members of the military at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland. Next week, President Trump and Vice President Pence will attend the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How much in tax revenue will result from dropping that $15 billion on Houston?

quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Hold on 1 minute. Did anyone watch the ~10 minute video? Rand Paul is talking about the $15 Billion in aid to residents of Texas from hurricane Harvey.

You are OK with just adding another $15 Billion to the deficit?

A Billion here, a Billion there, pretty soon you will be talking about real money.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post